- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Air Flow Rate on the Performance of Planar Solid Oxide Fuel Cell using CFD
평판형 고체산화물 연료전지의 CFD 성능해석에서 공기유량변화의 영향
Kim, Danbi;Han, Kyoungho;Yoon, Do-Young
- Received : 2015.09.01
- Accepted : 2015.10.21
- Published : 2015.11.30
Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC) continue to be among the most promising alternative energy devices. This paper addresses i-V characteristics of SOFC with a focus on air flow rate along the planar anode electrodes. To address this, detailed Butler-Volmer kinetics are implemented in a general-purpose CFD code FLUENT. The numerical results were validated against experimental data from the literature showing excellent match with i-V polarization data ranging 1V-0.4V. Numerical calculations of fuel cell operation under different flow rare conditions were performed in three-dimensional geometries. Results are presented in terms of concentration distribution of hydrogen, oxygen, and water. The simulations and results indicate that advanced CFD with UDF(User-Defined Function) of Butler-Volmer kinetics can be used to identify the conditions leading to air flow rate and specific surface area and guide development of operating conditions and improve the fuel cell system performance.
SOFC;CFD;electrochemistry;flow rate;concentration loss
- Yuzhang Wang, Fumihiko Yoshiba, Takao Watanabe, and Shilie Wang, 'Numerical analysis of electrochemical characteristics and heat/species transport for planar porous-electrode-supported SOFC', Journal of power Sources, 170, 101 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.04.004
- C.M.Huang, S.S.Shy, H.H.Li, and C.H.Lee, 'The impact of flow distributors on the performance of planar solid oxide fuel cell', Journal of power Sources, 195, 6280 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.04.073
- S.S. Shy, C.M. Huang, H.H.Li, and C.H.Lee, 'The impact of flow distributors on the performance of planar solid oxide fuel cell-Part II: Electrochemical impedance measurements', Journal of power Sources, 196, 7555 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.04.021
- Jai-Who Kim, Anil V.Virkar, Kuan-Zong Fung, Karun Mehta, and Subhash C. Sing hal, 'Polarization effects in intermediate temperature, anode-supported solid oxide fuel cells', Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 146, 69 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1391566
- Kyung Joung Yoon, J.H. Lee, J.W. Son, B.K. Kim, H.J. Jae, and H.W. Lee, 'The solid oxide fuel cell research and development technology trends', Journal of the Korean Ceramic Society, 15, 7 (2012)
- FLUENT, inc., 'FLUENT 6.3 User's Guide' (2006)
- ANSYS, inc., 'ANSYS Fluent Fuel Cell Modules Manual' (2013)
- Shixue Liu, Ce Song, and Zijing Lin, 'The effects of the interconnect rib contact resistance on the performance of planar solid oxide fuel cell stack and the design optimization', Journal of power Sources, 183, 214 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2008.04.054
- Sung Ann Hong, 'Hydrogen fuel cell Present technology and Future', Journal of The Korean Society for New and Renewable Energy, 1, 24 (2005).
- In Woo Jang, 'Three-dimensional finite volume analysis for the anode-supported flat-tubular solid oxide fuel cell performance', M. D Dissertation, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, Korea (2012).
- J.R Ferguson, J.M. Fiard, and R. Herbin, 'Threedimensional numerical simulation for various geometries of solid oxide fuel cells', Journal of power Sources, 58, 109 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-7753(95)02269-4
- Hun Kwan Park, 'Numerical Study on the performance of a planar Solid Oxide Fuel Cell' M. D Dissertation, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, Korea (2010).
- Jinliang Yuan, Masoud Rokni, and Bengt Suden, 'Threedimensional computational analysis of gas and heat transport phenomena in ducts relevant for anodesupported solid oxide fuel cells', International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 46, 809 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(02)00357-5
- C.M. Huang, S.S.Shy, C.W.Chien, and C.H.Lee, 'Parametric study of anodic microstructures to cell performance of planar solid oxide fuel cell using measured porous transport properties', Journal of power Sources, 195, 2260 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.10.048
- Chao-Yang Wang, 'Fundamental Models for Fuel Cell Engineering', Chemical Reviews, 104, 4727 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1021/cr020718s
- Kun Yuan, Yan Ji, and J.N. Chung, 'Physics-based modeling of a low-temperature solid oxide fuel cell with consideration of microstructure and interfacial effects', Journal of power Sources, 194, 908 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.05.045
- Seong-Soo Pyo .et, 'Recent R&D Trends of Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Power Generation System', Journal of the Korean Electrochemical Society, 12, 119 (2009). https://doi.org/10.5229/JKES.2009.12.2.119
- Shixue Liu, Wei Kong, and Zijing Lin, 'Threedimensional modeling of planar solid oxide fuel cells and the rib design optimization' J. power Sources, 194, 854 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.06.056
- Meng Ni, Michael K.H.Leung, and Dennis Y.C.Leung, 'Parametric study of solid oxide fuel cell performance', Energy Conversion and Management, 48, 1525 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2006.11.016
Supported by : 한국과학기술연구원