- Volume 4 Issue 3
Universities are now operating in a post-globalized world. They need to be locally engaged while globally visible for continued success. Specific strategies include 1) unbundling education using fractal modules approach to facilitate more flexible and customized learning expectations of net generation of students; 2) open-source software and hardware platforms to facilitate collaborations around a short or multi-year, multidisciplinary brain stretching projects motivated by the real world challenges; 3) new courses on innovation and entrepreneurship to nurture experience seeking and enterprising mindset of students; 4) cross-border university- public- private partnerships for developing solutions specific to the local needs and can be scalable for the world; and 5) encouraging faculty members with glocal mindset.
Net generation students;innovation;entrepreneurship;research;university
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2015) TEDx lecture on living to 100 plus year with health, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h_F3Nx4ebA.
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2014) Attributes of engineers and engineering education for the 21st century world, European Business Review.
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2014) Attributes of engineers and engineering education for the 21st century world, Journal of Engineering Education Transformations, 27(4), 17-28. http://dx.doi.org/10.16920/ijerit%2F2014%2Fv27i4%2F53297 https://doi.org/10.16920/ijerit/2014/v27i4/53297
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2011) Work on Facts behind the Figures, Time Higher Education, 17. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/universities-kpis-should/2136248.html
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2011) Global rankings narrow the influence gap between universities in developed nations and emerging nations, 4th International Conference on World-Class Universities (WCU-4), Shanghai, China.
- Seeram Ramakrishna and Venni Venkata Krishna (2011) Emergence of Asian universities as centers of new knowledge generation and a base for nation's competitiveness, in (eds.) Nian Cai Liu, Qi Wang and Ying Cheng, Paths to a World-Class University: Lessons from Practices and Experiences, Rotterdam/ Boston/Taipei: Sense Publishers.
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2015) Guest editorial: strategies to be globally visible and locally engaged, Drying Technology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2015.1115202
- Byers et al. (2013) Aligning Engineering Education and Experience to Meet the Needs of Industry and Society, NAE, The Bridge on Undergraduate Engineering Education.
- Institute-wide Taskforce on the Future of MIT Education, Preliminary Report November 21, 2013.
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2011) The changing face of innovation: is it shifting to Asia? World Scientific Publishers.
- Seeram Ramakrishna (2012) Is Asia a choice for careers in innovation? Asian Journal of Innovation and Policy, 1(2), 133-147. https://doi.org/10.7545/ajip.2012.1.2.133
- Thomson Reuters ASEAN Research Landscape (2015) http://stateofinnovation. thomsonreuters.com/the-worlds-most-innovativeuniversities? utm_source=elq&utm_medium=edm&utm_content=ranked&utm_campaign=reuters-top-100