- Volume 4 Issue 3
This study analyzes the determinants on employment of 4-year college graduates. Data were collected from nine semesters from 2009 to 2014 totaling 4,176 engineering graduates of University ‘A’ in the capital area of Korea. Employment is analyzed on three levels reflecting the quality of employment such as total employment, preferred jobs and the top 500 companies. Eighteen variables were divided into four categories such as private attributes, curriculum activities, non-curriculum activities, and job preparation activities. The Hierarchical Logistic Regression Model was used. The results are as follows: top determinants included in each definition of employment are departments group, gender, employment program, and internship program. Also, grade points in major and basic courses were added as a result of curriculum activities. There is no statistical significance in household income, club activities and employment preparation activities. Also, the curriculum for major intensive courses and multi-majoring imposed by the university are not effective.
Engineering department;college graduates employment;employment determinant;quality of employment
- Chae, C.G. and Kim, T.K. (2009) Studies on determinants of college graduates’ employment, Journal of Vocational Education Study, 28(2), 89-107. (in Korean)
- Baek, P.G. (2013) A study on the relationships and characteristics between essential skills and individual variables of college students, Liberal Arts Education Research, 7(3), 349-387.
- A University (2015) Analysis of Employment Statistics.
- A University (2015) Rules for Engineering Education Courses.
- A University (2015) Rules for Curriculum.
- A University (2015) Analysis of 2014 K-CESA Test Results.
- Hwang, Y.J. and Paik, B.B. (2008) Determinants of college graduates’ labor market performance, Journal of Employment and Skills Development, 11(2), 1-23. (in Korean)
- Hanyang University Homepage (2015) 2014 Summary of Internship Program (HY-WEP). http://www.newshyu.com
- Chung, T.Y. and Lee, K.Y. (2005) A study on determinants of employment of college graduates, Management Education Study, 8(2), 159-84. (in Korean)
- Chung, S.H. (2004) A study on core competency, job satisfaction and organizational commitment of secretary, Journal of Secretarial Science, 13(1), 23-43.
- Choi, I.S. (2013) A study on Employment and Its Determinants of College Graduates, Dankook University, PhD Dissertation. (in Korean)
- Cho, Y.H., Kim, B.C. and Kim, B.J. (2008) Analysis on influence factors of college graduates’ employment, Education Administration Study, 26(2), 437-462. (in Korean)
- Cho, H.S. and Kim, A.N. (2014) Individual and institutional factors affecting college graduates' wages at the first job, Journal of Educational Research, 12(4), 263-280. (in Korean)
- Cho, K.H. and An, H.Y. (2014) A test for the determinants of jobless period of college graduates, paper presented at the 2014 Conference on Employment Panel, 441-461. (in Korean)
- Cho, J.S. (2011) Influence of student information on college graduates’ employment, Korean Data Information Science Journal, 22(5), 849-56. (in Korean)
- Chae, G.O. (2007) Studies on determinants of college graduates’ employment and wage level, Korean Social Welfare Studies, 59(4), 35-61. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2007.59.4.002
- Chae, G.M. (2007) An analysis of employment and wage level of college graduates, Korean Academy of Social Welfare, 59(4), 35-61. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2007.59.4.002
- Ministry of Education (2014) 2014 OECD Education Indicators, September.
- Lee, Y.M., Lee, Y.Y. and Lim, J.Y. (2014) A study on determinants of college students’ preferred job, Social Science Research, 53(1), 337-74. (in Korean)
- Lee, K.Y. and Kim, K.K. (2008) Determinants of first job of college graduates, Korean Educational Study, 14(3), 87-111. (in Korean)
- Kim, B. and Seo, H. (2013) Analysis on individual/college factors that influences graduates’ employment, Journal of economics and finance of education, 22(4), 243-68. (in Korean)
- International Labor Organization (ILO) http://www.ilo.org.
- Lee, G.H. and Kim, K.G. (2008) Determinants of employment pattern of college graduates’ first jobs, Study on Korean Education, 14(3), 87-111.
- Korean Educational Development Institute (2014) Korean Education Statistic Service. http://kess.kedi.re.kr/index) (in Korean)
- Korea Education Development Institute (2014) Education Statistics. http://kess.kedi.re.kr/index.
- Korea Employment Information Service (2014) Among the Young Generation,
- Korea Employment Information Service (2013) Manual for Job Guidance Program for Youth. (in Korean)
- Korea Employers' Federation (2014, 2015) Trend and Prospect of New Recruitment, May, each year.
- Korea Employers' Federation (2013, 2014) Survey of Recruitment, November, each year.
- Kim, J.S. (2009) College graduates’ difference in the activity of employment preparation and employment, Educational Science study, 40(1), 141-65. (in Korean)
- Park, H.B. (2012) A Study on the Employment Gap of College Graduates after the Generalization of Higher Education, Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul National University.
- Park, G.Y. (2009) An analysis of educational needs for college students’ career path development, Career Path Education Study, 22(2), 181-98. (in Korean)
- Park, G.Y. and Chun, Y.M. (2009) Determinants of college graduates’ employment, Recruiting and Occupation Study, 3(1), 29-59. (in Korean)
- Park, C.K. (2015) An Empirical Study on the Student's Determinants on Employment of Engineering College Graduates, Doctoral Thesis, Hannam University.
- Oh, J.I. (2011) Causes of Over-Education Phenomenon and the Way of University Restructuring, KERI Brief, 11-20, July, 2011.
- Oh, H.Y (2014) The Changes of Preferred Job and Employment of New Generation Over The Past Decade, KRIVET Issue Brief, Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training, November, 2014.
- Noh, K.R. and Huh, S.J. (2014) Determinants of job target of college graduates, 2014 Conference on Employment Panel, 3-26. (in Korean)
- Noh, K.R., Park, Y.H. and Huh, S.J. (2011) Effects of experiences in career path development service of universities on employment after graduation, Education Research, 49(1), 63-92. (in Korean)
- National Statistics Office (2012) http://kosis.kr/statHtml.
- Nam, K.G., Yoon, J.H. and Lee, S.Y. (2010) Effect of students activities on the performance of labor market, Journal of Development of Korean Economy, 16(1), 143-172. (in Korean)
- Moon, S.S, and Noh, S.W. (2013) Effects of college factors on employment, Education Comprehensive Study, 11(3), 75-94. (in Korean)
- Song, Y.N. (2011) Changes of the regional distribution of good jobs and the determinants of the transition, Korea Local Administration Review, 25(3), 313-342. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2011.25.3.313
- Park, H.B. and Kim, S.S. (2011) An analysis of personal background, job preparation effort and college rank on the performance of labor market, Education Sociology Study, 21(3), 77-98. (in Korean)
- Role of University on Undergraduate Employment by Disciplines vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7545/ajip.2016.5.1.035