- Volume 52 Issue 6
Lifting lugs are frequently used in shipyard to transport and turn over blocks of ship and offshore structures. As the shipbuilding technology develops, blocks has become bigger and bigger, and block management technology takes a more important role in shipbuilding to enhance the productivity. For the sake of economic as well as safe design of lug structure, more rational design procedure based on the rigorous structural analysis is needed. This study is concerned with the optimum design of T type lug which is frequently used in shipyard. The optimum thickness of lug's main body is to be determined based on the results of non-linear strength analysis. As far as the present results for the present T type lugs having different capacity are concerned, it seems to be necessary to review the current design procedure of lug structure. The present design procedure can be extensively used in design of various types of lug structures used in shipyard.
Lifting lug;Non-linear structure analysis;Optimum design;T type lug;Ultimate strength
- Lee, J.S. & Heo, N.H., 2013. The Evaluation of the Structural Stress for the T type Lifting Lug. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the Korean Association of Ocean Science and Technology Societies (KAOSTS), Jeju, Korea, 23-24 May 2013, pp.2306
- Ku, N.K. Roh, M.I. & Cha, J.H., 2012. Calculation of the Dynamic Contact Force between a Shipbuilding Block and Wire Ropes of a Goliath Crane for the Optimal Lug Arrangement. Journal of Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, 25(5), pp.375-380. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2012.25.5.375
- Kim, S.I., 2006. Block Lifting Analysis to Examine the Cause of Cracking in the Hopper Top Plate. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(1), pp.16-19.
- Kim, S.I., 2003. Design for Raising the Rate of Recovering Use of Lifting Lug. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 40(4), pp.59-65. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2003.40.4.059
- Heo, N.H. & Lee, J.S., 2014. The Structural Strength Assessment of Lifting Lug. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(1), pp.42-50. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.1.42
- Ham, J.K., 2000. Development of the Design System for the Lifting Lug Structure. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 38(1), pp.86-98.
- American Society of Mechanical Egineers (ASME), 2008. ASME-BTH–1; Design of Below-the-Hook Lifting Devices, ASME: USA
- Simulia, 2013. Introduction to Abaqus. BB-Media: Korea.
- Seo, S.K. Kim, K.R. Eum, S.S. & Seo, Y.S., 2011. Design and Strength Analysis of Lifting Lugs. Special Issue of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, pp.51-54.
- Min, D.K. & Eum, S.M., 2011. A Study on the Optimization of Lifting Lug for Block Erection. Special Issue of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, pp.82-89.
- Lee, S.J. Hwang, O.J. Oh, Y.T. Ha, S.H. Kim, Y.H. Lee, S.B. & Kim, S.H., 2012. Strength assessment of padeye hole and lug structure assessment of block lifting lug through experiments. Proceeding of the Korea Association of Ocean and Technology Societies, EXCO, Daegu, May 2012, pp.597- 606.
- Lee, J.S. Kim, M.S. & Heo, N.H., 2014. The Strength Assessment and Design of T-type Lifting Lug. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the Korean Association of Ocean Science and Technology Societies (KAOSTS), Busan, Korea, 22-23 May 2014, pp.814-819