- Volume 52 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental Study of the Free Roll Decay Test for the Evaluation of Roll Damping Coefficients
감쇠계수 산출을 위한 자유 횡동요 감쇠실험 연구
Kim, Namwoo;Kim, Yong Jig;Ha, Youngrok
- Received : 2015.04.20
- Accepted : 2015.12.08
- Published : 2015.12.20
In general ships and FPSOs, roll damping is very small and consequently roll motion is very large at the roll resonance frequency. Proper evaluation of the roll damping coefficient at the resonance frequency is an important task in the study of roll motion and usually it is done by the analysis of free roll decay tests. The relative decrement method based on energy relation has been used mainly for the evaluation of roll damping coefficient from the roll decay test so far. As another method, the logarithmic decrement method based on equivalent linear decay assumption can be used for the same purpose and it is relatively simple. In this paper, both of the relative decrement method and the logarithmic decrement method are used for the evaluation of roll damping coefficient including quadratic damping from the free roll decay tests, and their results are cross-checked for verifying the obtained damping coefficients. Through applications to a box-type floating body equiped with bilge keels, it is shown that the two methods give almost the same damping coefficients in a practical view point and the cross-check of their results is to be a good tool to prevent a possible error. And also the quantitative effects of the bilge keels on the roll damping of box-type floating body are shown and discussed.
Free roll decay test;Relative decrement method;Logarithmic decrement method;Roll damping coefficient;Quadratic damping;Bilge keel
- Lee, S. You, J.M. Lee, H.H. Rhee, S.H. & Rhee, K.-P., 2012. Experimental Study on Free Roll Decay Motions of a Damaged Ship for CFD Validation Database. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 49(1), pp.52-59. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.1.52
- Kim, Y.B. Byun, J.H. & Yang, J.H., 2000. An Experimental Study on the Development of the Anti-Rolling Control System for a Ship. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 14(4), pp.43-48.
- Kim, N.W., 2010. An Experimental Study of the Roll Decay Test for Evaluation of Roll Damping Coefficients. Master’s Thesis. Pukyong National University.
- Jung, K.H. Suh, S.B. & Chun, H.H., 2007. Experimental Study on the Eddy Making Damping Effect at the Roll Motion of a Rectangular Barge. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 44(3), pp.267-278. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2007.44.3.267
- Jang, T.S., Kwon, S.H. & Lee, J.H., 2010. Recovering the Functional Form of the Nonlinear Roll Damping of Ships from a Free-Roll Decay Experiment: An Inverse Formulism. Ocean Engineering, 37, pp.1337-1344 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.06.012
- Chun, H.H. Chun, S.H. & Kim, S.Y., 2000b. Roll Damping Moment of a Small Fishing Vessel by Free Rolling Test in Waves. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 37(2), pp.30-37.
- Chun, H.H. Chun, S.H. & Kim, S.Y., 2000a. Roll Damping Moment of a Small Fishing Vessel by Free Rolling Test in Calm Water. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 37(1), pp.1-9.
- Choi, Y.R. Kim, J.H. & Kim, Y.S., 2005. An Analysis of Rolling Performance for a Barge-Type FPSO. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 19(3), pp.25-30.
- Press, W.H. Teukolsky, S.A. Vetterling, W.T. & Flannery, B.P., 1996. Numerical recipes in Fortran 77: the art of scientific computing. -2nd ed. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.