- Volume 52 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Model Test Study on the Effect of the Stern Interceptor for the Reduction of the Resistance and Trim Angle for Wave-piercing Hulls
파랑관통형 선형의 저항 및 트림각 감소를 위한 선미 인터셉터 부착효과에 관한 모형시험 연구
Kim, Dae Hyuk;Seo, Inn-Duk;Rhee, Key-Pyo;Kim, Nakwan;Ahn, Jin-Hyung
- Received : 2014.11.13
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2015.12.20
Planing hull form is widely used as a high speed vessel hull. There is a problem of the planing hull not solved yet. The problem is that the planing hull has very large vertical acceleration and large heave and pitch motions. As one method for overcoming this problem, there is "wave-piercing hull". Before the motion in waves is investigated, the resistance and running attitude must be investigated. In this paper, the running attitude and resistance of two wave-piercing hulls are investigated by model tests. Model test results show that the wave-piercing hulls have large trim angle and sinkage at the high speed, so additional model tests are conducted by using the hull appended by stern interceptor that is very thin plate to increase the hydrodynamic pressure at the attached location. The results are compared with other planing hulls and the resistance components and the hydrodynamic force are discussed. From the model test results, it can be known that the stern interceptor is the effective appendage for the reduction of the resistance and trim angle of wave-piercing hull.
Wave-piercing hull;High speed vessel;Model test;Stern Interceptor
- Bouscasse, B. Broglia, R. & Stern, F., 2013. Experimental Investigation of a Fast Catamaran in Head Waves. Ocean Engineering, 72(1), pp.318-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2013.07.012
- Alexander, H.D. & Christopher, C., 2011. An Experimental Study of Interceptors for Drag Reduction on High-performance Sailing Yachts. Ocean Engineering, 38(8), pp.983-994. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.03.006
- Kim, D.J. Rhee, K.P. Hwang, S.H. & Park, H.S., 2009b. An Experimental Study on the Motion Response of a High-Speed Planing Craft in Regular Head Waves. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 46(4), pp.373-381. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2009.46.4.373
- Kim, D.J. Rhee, K.P. & Park, H.S., 2009a. A study on the effects of weight and center of gravity of a planing craft on running attitude. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 46(3), pp.335-342. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2009.46.3.335
- Keuning, J.A. Toxopeus, S. & Pinkster, J., 2001. The effect of bow shape on the seakeeping performance of a fast monohull. 6th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation (FAST 2001), London, UK, September 2001, pp.197-213.
- ITTC, 1981. Report of panel on high-speed marine vehicles. Proceedings of the 16th ITTC, Leningrad USSR, 31 August – 9 september 1981, pp.583-624
- Fridsma, G., 1971. A Systematic Study of The Rough-Water Performance of Planing boats (irrehullar waves-partⅡ). NJ: Davidson Laboratory, Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Fridsma G., 1969. A Systematic Study of The Rough-Water Performance of Planing boats. Davidson Laboratory Report. NJ: Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Dong, W.C. Xia, X. Zuo, W.Q. & Lu, W.L., 2008. Experimental Study on the Form and The Performance of High Speed and Light Displacement Wave Piercing Catamaran. Journal of Ship Mechanics, 12(3), pp.199-207.
- Clement E.P. & Blount D L., 1963. Resistance Tests of Systematic Series of Planing Hull Forms. Transactions of the SNAME, 71, pp.491-579.
- Brizzolara, S. & Molini, A., 2005. Hydrodynamics of interceptors : a fundamental study. Proceedings ICMRT 2005, International Conference on Maritime Research and Transportation, Ischia (Naples), Italy, 19-21 september 2005.
- Savitsky, D. DeLorme, M.F. & Datla, R., 2007. Inclusion of Whisker Spray Drag in Performance Prediction Method for High-Speed Planing Hulls. Marine Technology, 44(1), pp.35-56.
- Savitsky, D. & Brown, P.W., 1976. Procedures for Hydrodynamic Evaluation of Planing Hulls in Smooth and Rough Water. Marine Technology, 13(4), pp.381-400.
- Savitsky, D., 1964. Hydrodynamic Design of Planing Hull. Marine Technology. 1(1), pp.71-96.
- Park, H.S., 2011. The effects of appendages on running attitudes and course-keeping ability of waterjet propelled high-speed vessel. Master’s. Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Kim, D.J. Kim, S.Y. Kim, S.H. Seo, J.H. Rhee, & S.H., 2014. Effects of Hull Form Variations on Resistance and Seakeeping Performance of Planing Hulls with and without Incoming Regular Waves. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(5), pp.369-379. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.5.369
- Kim, D.J. Kim, S.Y. You, Y.J. Rhee, K.P. Kim, S.H. & Kim, Y.G., 2013b. Design of High-Speed Planing Hulls for the Improvement of Resistance and Seakeeping Performance. International Journal of Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, 5(1), pp.161-177. https://doi.org/10.3744/JNAOE.2013.5.1.161
- Kim, D.J. Rhee, K.P. Yum, D.J. & Zhang, Y., 2013a. Comparative Study on the Motion Responses for a 40ft Class Cruise Leisure Boat. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 50(4), pp.240-247. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2013.50.4.240
- Kim, D.J., 2012. A study on the running attitude and dynamic stability of a semi-displacement round bilge vessel at high speed. Ph.D Thesis. Seoul National University.
- Kim, D.J. Rhee, K.P. You, Y.J. & Park, H.S., 2010. An Experimental Study on the Vertical Motion of a High-Speed Planing Craft in Regular Follwing Waves. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 47(4), pp.496-507. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2010.47.4.496
- Savitsky, D., 2012. The effect of bottom warp on the performance of planing hulls. Proceeding of 3rd Chesapeake Powerboat Symposium, Annapolis, Maryland, USA, 15-16 June 2012, pp.1-40.