- Volume 19 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Magnetic Field Measurement in the Air Gap of Magnetic Bearings Based on FBG-GMM Sensor
Jiayi, Liu;Zude, Zhou;Guoping, Ding;Huaqiang, Wang
- Received : 2015.07.21
- Accepted : 2015.11.09
- Published : 2015.12.25
Magnetic field in magnetic bearings is the physical medium to realize magnetic levitation, the distribution of the magnetic field determines the operating performance of magnetic bearings. In this paper, a thin-slice Fiber Bragg Grating-Giant Magnetostrictive Material magnetic sensor used for the air gap of magnetic bearings was proposed and tested in the condition of dynamic magnetic field. The static property of the sensor was calibrated and a polynomial curve was fitted to describe the performance of the sensor. Measurement of dynamic magnetic field with different frequencies in magnetic bearings was implemented. Comparing with the finite element simulations, the results showed the DC component of the magnetic field was detected by the sensor and error was less than 5.87%.
Giant magnetostrictive material;Fiber Bragg grating;Magnetic bearings;Dynamic magnetic field measurement
- B. Polajžer, G. Štumberger, J. Ritonja, O. Težak, D. Dolinar, and K. Hameyer, “Impact of magnetic nonlinearities and cross-coupling effects on properties of radial active magnetic bearings,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 40, 798-801 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2004.824581
- G. Schweitzer, Magnetic Bearings: Theory, Design, and Application to Rotating Machinery (Springer Press, USA, 2009), Chapter 2.
- D. Reilly, A. J. Willshire, G. Fusiek, P. Niewczas, and J. R. McDonald, “A fibre Bragg grating based sensor for simultaneous AC current and temperature measurement,” Sensors 6, 1426-1429 (2004).
- A. O. Cremonezi, E. C. Ferreira, A. J. B. Filho, and J. A. S. Dias, “A fiber Bragg grating RMS current transducer based on the magnetostriction effect using a Terfenol-D toroidal-shaped modulator,” IEEE Sensors Journal 13, 683-690 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2012.2226333
- W. Xin and W. J. Lin, “Study on fiber Bragg grating large current sensor,” Computing, Control and Industrial Engineering 823, 513-516 (2013).
- Y. Shen, H. Rong, G. Zhang, W. B. Yu, Z. Z. Guo, and Y. H. Lu, “The design and research of GMM current sensor,” Industrial Design and Mechanics Power 437, 710-715 (2013).
- C. Zhang and K. J. Tseng, “Design and FEM analysis of a flywheel energy storage system assisted by integrated magnetic bearings,” in Proc. Industrial Electronics Conference (Busan, Republic of Korea, Nov. 2004), pp. 1634-1639.
- N. Kurita, R. Kondo, and Y. Okada, “Lossless magnetic bearing by means of smoothed flux distribution,” in Proc. The 9th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings (Lexington, Kentucky, USA, Aug. 2004), pp. 44-49.
- Y. Le, J. C. Fang, and B. C. Han, “Dynamic circuit model of a radial magnetic bearing with permanent magnet bias and laminated cores,” International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics 46, 43-60 (2014).
- R. J. Prins and M. E. Kasarda, “Investigation of current-based dynamic force measurement with active magnetic bearings,” in Proc. The 9th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings (Lexington, Kentucky, USA, Aug. 2004), pp. 475-480.
- H. Li, L. Q. Zhu, F. Liu, Y. M. Zhang, and Q. X. Huang, “Strain transfer analysis and experimental research of surface-bonded bare FBG,” Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument 35, 1744-1750 (2014).
- K. Erik, “The measurement of magnetostriction ferromagnetic thin films,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 12, 819-821 (1976). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.1976.1059251
- P. T. Dong, H. X. Wang, L. Q. Xie, Q. Zhang, X. Z. Wu, and M. C. Pan, “TbDyFe deposition experiments by evaporation on optical fiber,” in Proc. Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems (Xiamen, China, Jan. 2010), pp. 237-240.
- J. M. Gong, C. C. Chan, M. Zhang, W. Jin, J. M. K. MacAlpine, and Y. B. Liao, “Fiber Bragg grating current sensor using linear magnetic actuator,” Opt. Eng. 41, 557-558 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.1446464
- K. S. Chiang, R. Kancheti, and V. Rastogl, “Temperature-compensated fiber-Bragg-grating-based magnetostrictive sensor for dc and ac currents,” Opt. Eng. 42, 1906-1909 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.1576533
- H. Zhao, F. F. Sun, Y. Q. Yang, G. Y. Cao, and K. Sun, “A novel temperature-compensated method for FBG-GMM current sensor,” Opt. Commun. 308, 64-69 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2013.06.021
- S. M. M. Quintero, A. M. B. Braga, H. I. Weber, A. C. Bruno, and J. F. D. F. Araújo, “A magnetostrictive compositefiber Bragg grating sensor,” Sensors 10, 8119-8128 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3390/s100908119
- B. H. Bao and L. Zhang, “Current sensor based on giant magnetostrictive material and fiber Bragg grating,” Proc. SPIE 7157, 715705 (2009).
- J. A. Zhang, H. Zhao, Y. L. Xiong, and M. B. Xiao, “Study of alternating current sensor using FBG and GMM with DC bias,” in Proc. The 7th International Conference on Electronic Measure & Instruments (Beijing, P. R. China, Aug. 2005), pp. 162-165.
- J. J. Zheng, H. L. Wang, and S. Y. Cao, “Frequent-dependent dynamic hysteresis model of giant magnetostrictive actuator,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 44, 38-44 (2008).
- J. H. Liu, C. B. Jiang, and H. B. Xu, “Giant magnetostrictive materials,” Science China Technological Sciences 55, 1319-1326 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11431-012-4810-0