- Volume 19 Issue 6
We present a surface color measurement including quantities of surface color, methods, and uncertainty evaluation. Based on a relation between spectral reflectance and surface color, we study how an uncertainty of spectral reflectance propagates to surface color. In analyzing the uncertainty propagation, we divide the uncertainty into uncorrelated components, fully correlated components, and correlated components with spectrally varying correlations. As an experimental example, we perform spectro-reflectometric measurements for ceramic color plates. With measured spectral reflectance and its uncertainty evaluation, we determine surface color and analyze uncertainties of the ceramic color plates.
- R. S. Berns, Billmeyer and Saltzman’s Principles of Color Technology, 3rd ed. (John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, Canada, 2000), Chapter 3.
- J. Schanda, Colorimetry: Understanding The CIE System (John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, Canada, 2007).
- “Colorimetry,” CIE Technical Report 15.3:2014 (Commission Internationale de l’Éclairage, 2004).
- J. Hwang, “Measurement system of bidirectional reflectance distribution function,” Korean J. Opt. Photon. (Hankook Kwanghak Hoeji) 21, 46-52 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3807/KJOP.2010.21.2.046
- Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, ISO/IEC Guide 98-3 (International Organization for Standardization, 2008).
- K. Gegenfurtner and L. T. Sharpe, Color Vision: From Genes to Perception (Cambridge University Press, UK, 1999).
- J. L. Gardner, “Uncertainties in surface colour measurements,” Measurement Good Practice Guide No. 95 (National Physical Laboratory, UK, 2006).
- E. A. Early and M. E. Nadal, “Uncertainty analysis for reflectance colorimetry,” Col. Res. Appl. 29, 205-216 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1002/col.20006
- M. E. Nadal and E. A. Early, “Color measurements for pearlescent coatings,” Col. Res. Appl. 29, 38-42 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1002/col.10210
- J. Kim, P. Marlow, and B. L. Anderson, “The perception of gloss depends on highlight congruence with surface shading,” J. Vision 11(9):4, 1-19 (2011).
- D. B. Kim, I. Y. Jang, H. K. Choi, and K. H. Lee, “Recovery and representation of spectral bidirectional reflectance distribution function from an image-based measurement system,” Col. Res. Appl. at press (online version published) (2015).
- F. B. Leloup, G. Obein, M. R. Pointer, and P. hanselaer, “Toward the soft metrology of surface gloss: A review,” Col. Res. Appl. 39, 559-570 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1002/col.21846
- T. Germer, J. Zwinkeles, and B. Tsai, Spectrophotometry: Accurate Measurement of Optical Properties of Materials, Experimental Methods In The Physical Sciences (Academic Press, USA, 2014), vol. 46.
- 1. Uncertainty evaluation and propagation for spectral measurements vol.43, pp.1, 2018, doi:10.3807/JOSK.2015.19.6.649