- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Control Strategy Based on Small Signal Model for Three-Phase to Single-Phase Matrix Converters
- Chen, Si ;
- Ge, Hongjuan ;
- Zhang, Wenbin ;
- Lu, Song
- Received : 2015.02.05
- Accepted : 2015.05.21
- Published : 2015.11.20
This paper presents a novel close-loop control scheme based on small signal modeling and weighted composite voltage feedback for a three-phase input and single-phase output Matrix Converter (3-1MC). A small non-polar capacitor is employed as the decoupling unit. The composite voltage weighted by the load voltage and the decoupling unit voltage is used as the feedback value for the voltage controller. Together with the current loop, the dual-loop control is implemented in the 3-1MC. In this paper, the weighted composite voltage expression is derived based on the sinusoidal pulse-width modulation (SPWM) strategy. The switch functions of the 3-1MC are deduced, and the average signal model and small signal model are built. Furthermore, the stability and dynamic performance of the 3-1MC are studied, and simulation and experiment studies are executed. The results show that the control method is effective and feasible. They also show that the design is reasonable and that the operating performance of the 3-1MC is good.
Closed-loop control;Power decoupling;Small signal model;Three-phase to Single-phase Matrix Converter
- Y. Miura, S. Kokubo, and D. Maekawa, “Power modulation control of a three-phase to single-phase matrix converter for a gas engine cogeneration system,” in Power Electronic Specialists Conference (IEEE), pp. 2704-2710, 2008.
- W. B. Zhang and H. J. Ge, “A novel control strategy based on virtual dc voltage feedback for an improved three-phase to single-phase matrix converter,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 294, No. 15, pp. 2452-2458, Feb. 2013.
- M. Yang, S. Kai, and H. Lipei, “Three-phase to single-phase matrix converter using RB-IGBT,” Transactions of China Electro technical Society, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 91-95, Mar. 2007.
- N. Nguyen-Quang, D. A. Stone, C. M. Bingham, and M. P. Foster, “A three-phase to single-phase matrix converter for high-frequency induction heating,” Power Electronics and Applications, 13th European Conference on, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- T. L. Van, D.-C. Lee, “Developing function models of back-to-back PWM converters for simplified simulation,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 51-58, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.1.051
- Q. Bo and L. Zhengyu, “Small-signal modeling and controller design of three-phase voltage source PWM rectifier,” Transactions of China Electro- technical Society, Vol. 25 No. 5, pp. 103-108, May 2010.
- Y. Miura, T. Amano, and T. Ise, “Operating characteristics of a three-phase to single-phase matrix converter with hybrid control scheme of power compensation and modulation applied to gas engine cogeneration system,” in Power Electronics and Applications (EPE 2011), Proceedings of the 2011-14th European Conference on, pp. 1-10, 2011.
- Y. Miura, T. Amano, and T. Ise, “Hybrid control scheme of power compensation and modulation for a three-phase to single-phase matrix converter with a small capacitor,” in International Power Electronics Conference, pp. 1780-1787, 2010.
- Y. Furuhashi and T. Takeshita, “Single-phase to three-phase matrix converter with compensation for instantaneous-power fluctuation,” in 37th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 1572-1577, 2011.
- T. Yamashita and T. Takeshita, “PWM strategy of single-phase to three-phase matrix converters for reducing a number of commutations,” in The 2010 International Power Electronics Conference, pp. 3057-3064, 2010.
- M. Saito, T. Takeshita, and N. Matsui, “A single to three phase matrix converter with a power decoupling capability,” in Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 2400-2405, 2004.
- E. Karaman, M. Farasat, F. Niu, and A. M. Trzynadlowski, “Three-phase to single-phase super-sparse matrix converters,” in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1061-1066, 2012.
- D. N. Zmood and D. G. Holmes, “Stationary frame current regulation of PWM inverters with zero steady-state error,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 814-822, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810852
- J. Rodriguez, M. Rivera, J. W. Kolar, P. W. Wheeler, “A review of control and modulation methods for matrix converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 58-70, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2165310
- X. Liu, Q. Zhang, D. Hou, and S. Wang, “Improved space vector modulation strategy for AC-DC matrix converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 647-655, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.4.647
- F. Gao and M. R. Iravani, “Dynamic model of a space vector modulated matrix converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 1696-1705, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.899609
- Z. Wenbin, “The research on power decoupling and control strategy of three-phase to single-phase matrix converter,” Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, 2013.
- X. Zhang, "Study on the PWM Rectifier and its Control Strategies," Ph.D. Dissertation, Hefei University of Technology, China, 2003.