- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Improved Asymmetric Half-Bridge Converter for Switched Reluctance Motor in Low-Speed Operation with Current Regulated Mode
- Woothipatanapan, Sakhon ;
- Chancharoensook, Phop ;
- Jangwanitlert, Anuwat
- Received : 2015.09.11
- Accepted : 2015.06.03
- Published : 2015.11.20
This study presents a novel method for reducing the switching losses of an asymmetric half-bridge converter for a three-phase, 12/8 switched reluctance motor operated in low speed. In particular, this study aims to reduce the switching-off losses of chopping switches in the converter when operated in the current regulated mode (chopping mode). The proposed method uses the mixed parallel operation of IGBT (chopping switch) and MOSFET (auxiliary switch). MOSFET is precisely controlled to momentarily conduct prior to the turn-off interval of the IGBT. Consequently, the voltage across the switches is clamped to approximately zero, substantially decreasing the turn-off switching losses. The analytical expressions of power losses are extensively elaborated. Compared with the conventional asymmetric half-bridge converter, the modified converter can effectively minimize the switching losses. Therefore, the efficiency of the converter is eventually improved. Computer simulation and experimental results confirm the effectiveness of the proposed technique.
Asymmetric half-bridge converter;Parallel IGBT/MOSFET;Switched reluctance motor;Switching loss
- Y. Murai, J. Cheng, S. Sugimoto, and M. Yoshida, “A capacitor-boosted soft-switched switched-reluctance motor drive,” in Proc. APEC'99, pp. 424-429, 1999.
- Y. Murai and J. Cheng, “A simple soft-switched switched-reluctance motor drive,” in Proc.IECON'98, pp. 911-916, 1998.
- Y. Murai, J. Cheng, and M. Yoshida, "A soft-switched reluctance motor drive circuit with improved performances," in Conf. Rec. IEEE-PESC Annu. Meeting, Vol. 2, pp. 881-886, 1997.
- T. J. E. Miller, Electronic Control of Switched Reluctance Machines, 1st ed., Newnes, Chap.5, pp.74-97, 2001,.
- R. Krishnan, Switched Reluctance Motor Drives: Modeling, Simulation, Analysis, Design, and Applications, CRC Press, Chap.1, pp.1-25, 2001.
- H. P. Yee and D. Liu, “An ASIC to control the paralleling of an IGBT with a MOSFET,” in Proc. APEC'97, pp. 151-155, 1997.
- S. J. Brittan, "Power control switch," U.S. Patent 5 610 507, Mar. 11, 1997.
- J. Qian, A. Khan, and I. Batarseh, “Turn-off switching loss model and analysis of IGBT under different switching operation modes,” in Proc. IECON'95, pp. 240-245, 1995.
- N. Machin and T. Vescovi, “Very high efficiency techniques and their selective application to the design of a 70A rectifier,” in Proc.INTELEC'93, pp. 126-133, 1993.
- J. M. Leistenet. A. K. Lefedjiev, D. L. Stanley, and R. D. Petkov, "Power converter," European Patent 0 502 715 A1, Sep. 9, 1992.
- D.W. Hart, Introduction to Power Electronics, Prentice Hall, Chap.10, pp. 380-402, 1997.
- S. Woothipatanapan, P. Chancharoensook, and A. Jangwanitlert, “Efficiency improvement of converter for switched reluctance motor drives at low speed operation,” in Proc. PEDS 2009, pp. 488-493, 2009.
- L. Jianwu and Z. Qionghua, “A novel soft-switching converter for switched reluctance motor: analysis, design and experimental results,” in IEEE International Conference on Electric Machines and Drives, pp. 1955-1961, 2005.
- M. R. Yousefi, K. Rahimi, and M. Pakdel, “A novel two-quadrant soft-switched converter,” in Proc. IEEE EUROCON 2009, pp. 823-826, 2009.
- Y. Murai, J. Cheng, and M. Yoshida, “New soft-switched/switched reluctance motor drive circuit,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 78-85, Jan./Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.740848
- G. Ortiz, C. Gammeter, J. W. Kolar, and O. Apeldoorn, “Mixed MOSFET-IGBT bridge for high-efficient medium-frequency dual-active-bridge converter in solid state transformers,” in IEEE 14th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), pp. 1-8, 2013.
- S. Woothipatanapan, A. Jangwanitlert, and P. Chancharoensook, “Efficiency improvement of converter for switched reluctance motor drives by mixed operation of IGBT and MOSFET,” in Proc. TENCON 2010, pp. 1841-1846, 2010.
- J. P. Kaerst and K. F. Hoffmann, “High speed complimentary drive of a hybrid MOSFET and IGBT power switch,” in European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-9, 2005.