- Volume 15 Issue 6
The brushless DC motor (BLDCM) has many advantages. As a result, it is widely used in electric vehicle (EV) drive systems. To improve the reliability of the motor control system, a position sensorless control strategy based on a sliding mode observer (SMO) is proposed. The global fast terminal sliding mode observer (GFTSMO) is proposed to enhance the control performance of the SMO control system. The advantages of the linear sliding mode and the nonsingular terminal sliding mode (NTSM) are combined in the control strategy. The convergence speed of the system state is enhanced. The motor commutation point is obtained with the observation of the back EMF, and the instantaneous torque value of the motor is calculated. Therefore, the position sensorless control of the BLDCM is realized. Experimental results show that the proposed control strategy can improve the convergence speed, dynamic characteristics and robustness of the system.
Brushless DC motor (BLDCM);Electric vehicle (EV);Global fast terminal sliding mode observer (GFTSMO);Instantaneous torque control;Position sensorless control
- S. K. Cheng and S. M. Cui, “A controller of brushless DC motor for electric vehicle,” IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 509-513, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2004.839304
- X. Z. Zhang and Y. N. Wang, “A novel position-sensorless control method for brushless DC motors,” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 1669-1676, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.10.030
- H. Fakham, M. Djemai, and K. Busawon, “Design and practical implementation of a back-EMF sliding-mode observer for a brushless DC motor.” IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 353-361, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20070242
- J. Shao, “An improved microcontroller-based sensorless brushless DC (BLDC) motor drive for automotive applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 1216-1221, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2006.880888
- T. Kim, H. W. Lee, and M. Ehsani, “Position sensorless brushless DC motor/generator drives: Review and future trends,” IET Electric Power Appl., Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 557-564, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20060358
- Y. Liu, Z. Q. Zhu, and D. Howe, “Instantaneous torque estimation in sensorless direct-torque-controlled brushless DC motors,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 1275-1283, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2006.880854
- P. Damodharan and K. Vasudevan, “Sensorless brushless DC motor drive based on the zero-crossing detection of back electromotive force (EMF) from the line voltage difference,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 661-668, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2041781
- K. T. Chau, C. C. Chan, and C. Liu, “Overview of permanent-magnet brushless drives for electric and hybrid electric vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2246-2257, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918403
- J. T. Chen, Z. Q. Zhu, and S. Iwasaki, “A novel hybrid-excited switched-flux brushless AC machine for EV/HEV applications,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 1365-1373, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2132811
- X. Yu and Z. Man, “Model reference adaptive control systems with terminal sliding modes,” International Journal of Control, Vol. 64, No. 6, pp. 1165-1176, Aug. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179608921680
- J. Yang, J. Su, S. Li, and X. Yu, “High-order mismatched disturbance compensation for motion control systems via a continuous dynamic sliding-mode approach,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 604-614, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2013.2279232
- C. Li and M. Elbuluk, "A robust sliding mode observer for permanent magnet synchronous motor drives," IECON 02, Vol. 2, 2002.
- K. L. Kang, J. M. Kim, K. B. Hwang, and K. H. Kim, "Sensorless control of PMSM in high speed range with iterative sliding mode observer," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2004. APEC'04. Nineteenth Annual IEEE, Vol. 2, 2004.
- Y. Lingling, Z. Yun, and C. Zhenfeng, “Bilinear control based on model bias separation for uncertain nonlinear systems,” Acta Automatica Sinica, Vol. 36, No. 10, pp. 1432-1442, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.3724/SP.J.1004.2010.01432
- H. Kim, J. Son, and J. Lee, “A high-speed sliding-mode observer for the sensorless speed control of a PMSM,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 9, pp. 4069-4077, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2098357
- J. Yang, S. Li, and X. Yu, “Sliding-mode control for systems with mismatched uncertainties via a disturbance observer,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp.160-169, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2183841
- C. Lascu and G. Andreescu, “Sliding-mode observer and improved integrator with DC-offset compensation for flux estimation in sensorless-controlled induction motors,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 785-794, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.874275
- Y. Feng, J. Zheng, X. Yu, and N. V. Truong, “Hybrid terminal sliding-mode observer design method for a permanent-magnet synchronous motor control system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol.56, No. 9, pp. 2159-2167, Mar. 2009.
- Y. Feng, X. Han, Y. Wang, and X. Yu, “Second-order terminal sliding mode control of uncertain multivariable systems,” International Journal of Control, Vol. 80, No. 6, pp. 856-862, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207170601185046
- S. B. Ozturk, W. C. Alexander, and H. A. Toliyat, “Direct torque control of four-switch brushless DC motor with non-sinusoidal back EMF,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 263-271, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2028888
- Y. Liu, Z. Q. Zhu, and D. Howe, “Direct torque control of brushless DC drives with reduced torque ripple,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 599-608, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.844853
- C. Edwards and S. Spurgeon, Sliding Mode Control: Theory and Applications, CRC Press, 1998.
- X. Yu and M. Zhihong, “Fast terminal sliding-mode control design for nonlinear dynamical systems,” IEEE Circuits and Systems Society, Vol.49, No. 2, pp. 261-264, Feb. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.983876
- Y. Feng, X. Yu, and Z. Man, “Non-singular terminal sliding mode control of rigid manipulators,” Automatica, Vol. 38, No. 12, pp. 2159-2167, Dec. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-1098(02)00147-4
- J. Yang, S. Li, J. Su, and X. Yu, “Continuous nonsingular terminal sliding mode control for systems with mismatched disturbances,” Automatica, Vol. 49, No. 7, pp. 2287-2291, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2013.03.026
- Torque ripple reduction of brushless DC motor with harmonic current injection based on integral terminal sliding mode control 2017, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1559
- Nonsingular Fast Terminal Sliding Mode Control for a Bearingless Induction Motor vol.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1559