- Volume 15 Issue 6
This paper presents a nonlinear method to control a DC-DC converter and track the Maximum Power Point (MPP) of a Photovoltaic (PV) system. A backstepping controller is proposed to regulate the voltage at the input of a buck-boost converter by means of Lyapunov functions. To make the control initially faster and avoid local maximum, a regression plane is used to estimate the reference voltages that must be obtained to achieve the MPP and guarantee the maximum power extraction, modifying the conventional Perturb and Observe (P&O) method. An experimental platform has been designed to verify the validity and performance of the proposed control method. In this platform, a buck-boost converter has been built to extract the maximum power of commercial solar modules under different environmental conditions.
Backstepping;Buck-Boost Converter;Experimental;Maximum Power Point;Photovoltaic
- J. Enrique, E. Durán, M. de-Cardona, and J. Andújar, “Theoretical assessment of the 18 maximum power point tracking efficiency of photovoltaic facilities with different 19 converter topologies,” Solar Energy, Vol. 81, No. 1, pp. 31-38, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2006.06.006
- T. F. Wu and Y. K. Chen, “Modeling PWM DC/DC converters out of basic converter units,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 870-881, Sep. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.712294
- Y. Tian, B. Xia, Z. Xu, and W. Sun, “Modified asymmetrical variable step size incremental conductance maximum power point tracking method for photovoltaic systems,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 156-164, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.1.156
- S. B. Kjaer, “Evaluation of the “hill climbing” and the “incremental conductance” maximum power point trackers for photovoltaic power systems,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 922-929, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2012.2218816
- T. Esram and P. L. Chapman, “Comparison of photovoltaic array maximum power point tracking techniques,” IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 439-449, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874230
- R. Ramaprabha, B. L. Mathur, and M. Sharanya, “Solar array modeling and simulation of MPPT using neural network,” in Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, Communication and Energy Conservation, pp. 1-5, 2009.
- J. R. Vazquez, A. D. Martin, and R. S. Herrera, “Neuro-fuzzy control of a grid-connected photovoltaic system with power quality,” in EUROCON, pp. 850-856, 2013.
- T. Esram, J. W. Kimball, P. T. Krein, P. L. Chapman, P. Midya, “Dynamic maximum power point tracking of photovoltaic arrays using ripple correlation control,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 1282-1291, Sept. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.880242
- M. I. Arteaga Orozco, J. R. Vázquez, P. Salmerón, “MPP Tracker of a PV System using sliding mode control with minimum transient response,” Int. Review on Modelling and Simulations, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp. 1468-1475, Dec. 2010.
- M. Momayyezan, H. Iman-Eini, “Developed MPPT Algorithm for Photovoltaic Systems without a Voltage Sensor,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 1042-1050, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.6.1042
- M. A. Elgendy; B. Zahawi; D. J. Atkinson, “Evaluation of Perturbe and Observe MPPT Algorithm Implementation Techniques,” in PEMD, pp. 1-6, 2012.
- R. Ortega, A. Lorai, P. J. Niklasson and H. Sira-Ramirez, “Passivity-based Control of Euler-Lagrange Systems,” Communications and Control Engineering. pp. 168-171, Sept. 1998.
- A. Daoud and A. Midoun, “Simulation and experimental study of maximum power point tracker based on a DC/DC buck converter,” Int. Review of Electrical Engineering. Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 514-520, Apr. 2010.
- P. Pichlik and J. Zdenek, “Converter regulation of stand-alone photovoltaic system at low solar radiation,” in AE, pp. 207-210, 2012.
- J. Zeng, W. Qiao, and L. Qu, “A single-switch isolated DC-DC converter for photovoltaic systems,” in ECCE, pp. 3446-3452, 2012.
- M. Sokolov and D. Shmilovitz, “A modified MPPT scheme for accelerated convergence,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 1105-1107, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2008.2001464
- Z. Pan, K. Ezal, A. J. Krener, and P. V. Kokotovic, “Backstepping design with local optimality matching,” IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, Vol. 46, No. 7, pp. 1014-1027, Jul. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/9.935055
- Y. Zhang, B. Fidan, and P. A. Ioannou, “Backstepping control of linear time-varying systems with known and unknown parameters,” IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, Vol. 48, No. 11, pp. 1908-1925, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2003.819074
- T. L. Kottas, Y. S. Boutalis, and A. D. Karlis, “New maximum power point tracker for PV arrays using fuzzy controller in close cooperation with fuzzy cognitive networks,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 793-803, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.875430
- Performance optimization of LQR-based PID controller for DC-DC buck converter via iterative-learning-tuning of state-weighting matrix pp.08943370, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jnm.2572