- Volume 15 Issue 6
A low dropout (LDO) regulator with a wide-bandwidth is proposed in this paper. The regulator features a Human Body Model (HBM) 8kV-class high robustness ElectroStatic Discharge (ESD) protection circuit, and two error amplifiers (one with low gain and wide bandwidth, and the other with high gain and narrow bandwidth). The dual error amplifiers are located within the feedback loop of the LDO regulator, and they selectively amplify the signal according to its ripples. The proposed LDO regulator is more efficient in its regulation process because of its selective amplification according to frequency and bandwidth. Furthermore, the proposed regulator has the same gain as a conventional LDO at 62 dB with a 130 kHz-wide bandwidth, which is approximately 3.5 times that of a conventional LDO. The proposed device presents a fast response with improved load and line regulation characteristics. In addition, to prevent an increase in the area of the circuit, a body-driven fabrication technique was used for the error amplifier and the pass transistor. The proposed LDO regulator has an input voltage range of 2.5 V to 4.5 V, and it provides a load current of 100 mA in an output voltage range of 1.2 V to 4.1 V. In addition, to prevent damage in the Integrated Circuit (IC) as a result of static electricity, the reliability of IC was improved by embedding a self-produced 8 kV-class (Chip level) ESD protection circuit of a P-substrate-Triggered Silicon Controlled Rectifier (PTSCR) type with high robustness characteristics.
LDO;Linear;Low-dropout;Multiple error amp;Wide-bandwidth
- L.-G. Shen, Z.-S. Yan, X. Zhang. Y.-F. Zhao, and M. Gao, “A fast-response low-dropout regulator based on power-efficient low-voltage buffer,” Circuits and Systems, 2008. MWSCAS 2008. 51st Midwest Symposium on, pp. 546–549, Aug. 2008.
- S.-H. Lu, W.-J. Huang, and S.-L. Liu, “A Fast-Recovery Low Dropout Linear Regulator for Any-Type Output Capacitors,” Asian Solid-State Circuits Conference, pp. 497-500, Nov. 2005.
- J. Wiley, “A. Amerasekera and C. Duvvury, ESD in silicon integrated circuits, Wiley,” New York, 1995.
- Y. Wang, M. Yu, X. Feng, and F. Lai, “Frequency compensation scheme for LDO regulator operated under wide power supply range in smart battery system,” Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits(EDSSC), 2011 International Conference of, pp. 1–2, Nov. 2011.
- A.-S. M, H. Lee, and R. Perez, “A Transient-Enhanced Low-Quiescent Current Low-Dropout Regulator With Buffer Impedance Attenuation,” IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 42, No. 8, pp. 1732-1742, Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2007.900281
- Z. Liu, Z. Fu, L. Huang, and T. Xi, “A 1.8V LDO voltage regulator with foldback current limit and thermal protection,” Journal of semiconductors, Vol. 30, No. 8, Aug. 2008.
- S.-H. Lu, W.-J. Huang, and S.-L. Liu, “A fast-recovery low dropout linear regulator for any-type output capacitors,” Asian Solid-State Circuits Conference, pp. 497-500, 1 Nov. 2005.
- TI(1999) “Technical Review of Low Dropout Voltage Regulator Operation and Performance,” Texas Instruments. Aug. 1999
- M.-D. Ker and Z.-P. Chen, “SCR Device with Dynamic Holding Voltage for On-Chip ESD Protection in a 0.25um Fully Salicided CMOS Process,” IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 51, No. 10, pp. 1731-1733, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2004.834904
- Y.-S. Koo, “A design of low-area low drop-out regulator using body bias technique,” IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 10, No.19, pp.20130300, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.10.20130300