- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Control of Pepper Anthracnose Caused by Colletotrichum acutatum using Alternate Application of Agricultural Organic Materials and Iminoctadine tris + thiram
유기농업자재와 유기합성 살균제(Iminoctadine tris + thiram) 교호살포에 따른 고추 탄저병 방제 효과
Hong, Sung-Jun;Kim, Yong-Ki;Jee, Hyeong-Jin;Shim, Chang-Ki;Kim, Min-Jeong;Park, Jong-Ho;Han, Eun-Jung;Kim, Jung-Hyun;Kim, Seok-Cheol
- Received : 2015.11.02
- Accepted : 2015.12.09
- Published : 2015.12.31
Pepper anthracnose caused by Collectotrichum acutaum has been known as one of the most damaging diseases of pepper, which has reduced not only yield but also quality of pepper produce almost every year. This study was conducted to develop control strategy against pepper anthracnose by alternate application of agricultural organic materials and chemical fungicides. The alternate application effect of agricultural organic materials and chemical fungicides for controlling pepper anthracnose were examined in vitro and in the field. First, thirteen microbial agents and twenty two agricultural organic materials were screened for antifungal activity against C. acutatum through the dual culture method and bioassay. As a result, one microbial agent (Bacillus subtilis QST-713) and three agricultural organic materials (sulfur, bordeaux mixture, marine algae extracts) were found to show high inhibition effect against C. acutatum. In the field test, when Iminoctadine tris+thiram, a chemical fungicide for controlling pepper anthracnose, was sprayed, it reduced disease incidence by 89.5%. Meanwhile Sulfur, bordeaux mixture, copper, marine algae extracts and Bacillus subtilis QST-713 showed low disease incidence at the range of 33.1~81.0%. However, when Iminoctadine tris+thiram and agricultural organic materials(bordeaux mixture, marine algae extracts) were applied to pepper fruits alternately two times at 7 days interval, there was a 81.7 and 87.1% reduction in disease, respectively. Consequently, the alternate spray of chemical fungicide (Iminoctadine tris+thiram) and agricultural organic materials (bordeaux mixture, marine algae extracts) could be recommended as a control method to reduce the using amount of chemical fungicide.
agricultural organic materials;alternate applications;chemical fungicides;pepper anthracnose
- Ahn, J., M. S. Park, S. K. Kim, G. J. Choi, K. S. Jang, Y. H. Choi, J. E. Choi, I. S. Kim, and J. C. Kim (2009) Suppression effect of gray mold and late blight on tomato plants by rhamnolipid B. Res. Plant Dis. 15(3):222-229. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2009.15.3.222
- Ali, M. S., M. Saleem, R. Yamdagniand and M. A. Ali (2002) Steroid and antibacterial steroidal glycosides from marine green alga Codium iyengarii borgesen. Nat. Prod. Lett. 16:407-413. https://doi.org/10.1080/10575630290034249
- Asai, A., T. Sugawara, H. Ono and A. Nagao (2004) Biotransformation of fucoxanthinol into amarouchiaxanthin a in mice and HepG2 cells: formation and cytotoxicity of fucoxanthin metabolites. Drug Metab. Dispos. 32:205-211. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.32.2.205
- Bae, D. H. (2006) The disease epidemic of pepper anthracnose and importance of controlling anthracnose. Proceeding of workshop for the disease epidemic and control of chili pepper anthracnose. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, RDA. p2-7.
- Bennamara, A., A. Abourriche, M. Berrada, M. Charrouf, N. Chaib, M. Boudouma and F. X. Garneau (1999) Methoxybifurcarenone: an antifungal and antibacterial meroditerpenoid from the brown alga Cystoseira tamariscifolia. Phytochemistry. 52:37-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(99)00040-0
- Budge, S. P. and J. M. Whipps (2001) Potential for integrated control of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum in glasshouse lettuce using Coniothyrium minitants and reduced fungicide application. Biological control 91:221-227.
- Cazorla, F. M., E. Arrebola, A. Sesma, A. Perez-Garcia, J. C. Codina, J. Murillo and A. de Vicente (2002) Copper resistance in Pseudomonas syringae strains isolated from mango is encoded mainly by plasmids. Phytopathology 92:909-916. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO.2002.92.8.909
- Cho, S. J., S. K. Lee, B. J. Cha, Y. H. Kim and K. S. Shin (2003) Detection and characterization of the Gloeosporium gloeosporioides growth inhibitory compound iturin A from Bacillus subtilis strain KS03. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 223(1):47-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1097(03)00329-X
- Choi, K. S. and D. H. Pae (1987) Studies on the breeding of resistant varieties of pepper. 3. Study on the inoculation methods for resistant varieties of pepper to anthracnose. RDA(Hort) 29:16-23.
- Choi, Y. H., H. T. Kim, J. C. Kim, K. S. Jang, K. Y. Jang, K. Y. Cho and G. J. Choi (2006) In vitro antifungal activities of 13 fungicides against pepper anthracnose fungi. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 10:36-42.
- Duffy, B (2000) Combination of pencycuron and Pseudomonas fluorescens strain 2-79 for integrated control of Rhizoctonia root rot and take-all of spring wheat. Crop Protect. 19:21-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-2194(99)00078-2
- Elad, Y., G. Zimand, Y. Zapqs, S. Zuriel and I. Chet (1993) Use of Trichoderma harziamum in combination or alternation with fungicides to control cucumber grey mould (Botrytis cinerea) under commercial greenhouse conditions. Plant Pathology 42:324-332. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3059.1993.tb01508.x
- Enoki, N., R. Ishida, S. Urano, M. Ochi, T. Tokoroyama and T. Matsumato (1982) New hydrozulenoid diterpenes from the marine alga Dictyota dichotoma. Chem. Lett. 1749-1752.
- Fravel, D. R., K. L. Deahl and J. R. Stommel (2005) Compatibility of the biocontrol fungus Fusarium oxysporum strain CS-20 with selected fungicides. Biological Control 34:165-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2005.04.007
- Freeman, S., D. Minz, I. Kolesnik, O. Barbul, A. Zveibil, M. Maymon, Y. Nitzani, B. Kirshner, D. Rav-David, A. Bilu, A. Dag, S. Shafir and Y. Elad (2004) Trichoderma biocontrol of Colletotrichum acutatum and Botrytis cinerea and survival in strawberry. Eur. J. Plant pathol. 110(4):361-370. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:EJPP.0000021057.93305.d9
- Galal, H. R. M., W. M. Salem and F. Nasr (2011) Biological control of some pathogenic fungi using marine algae extracts. Res. J. Microbiol. 6(8):645-657. https://doi.org/10.3923/jm.2011.645.657
- Ha, H. Y., D. S. Ra, W. C. Shin, G. J. Im and J. E. Park (2012) Survey of pesticide use in fruit vegetables, fruits, and rice cultivation areas in korea. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 16(4):395-400. https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2012.16.4.395
- Hong, S. J., J. H. Kim, Y. K. Kim, H. J. Jee, C. K. Shim, M. J. Kim, J. H. Park, E. J. Han, H. J. Goo and K. Y. Choi (2014) Control efficacy of mixed application of microbial and chemical fungicides against powdery mildew of red-pepper. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 18(4):409-416. https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2014.18.4.409
- Ishii, H., S. Iwamoto and K. Nishimura (1998) Comparative studies on fungicide sensitivity and other characteristics in Colletotrichum isolated from various plant species. The 1998 Brighton conference pp.529-534.
- Jayaraj, J., A. wan, M. Rahman and Z. K. Punja (2008) Seaweed extract reduces foliar fungal disease on carrot. Crop Protec. 27:1360-1366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2008.05.005
- Jee, H. J., S. S. Shin, J. H. Lee, W. I. Kim, S. J. Hong and Y. K. Kim (2010) Conidial disperse of the pepper anthracnose fungus Colletotrichum acutatum and its density on infected fruits. Res. Plant Dis. 16(1):101-105. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2010.16.1.101
- Jung, W. C., T. S. Shin, K. S. Do, W. K. Kim, J. H. Lee and K. H. Choi (2006) Development of antagonistic microorganism for biological control of Pythium blight of turfgrass. Res. Plant Dis. 12(3):260-266. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2006.12.3.260
- Kang, H. J., J. S. Kim, B. T. Han, T. I. Kim, J. W. Noh, Y. G. Kim and H. D. Shin (2014) Alternative fungicide spraying for the control of powdery mildew caused by Sphaerotheca fusca on greenhouse watermelon. Res. Plant Dis. 20(1):31-36. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2014.20.1.031
- Kang, S. Y., M. J. Oh and J. A. Shin (2005) Antimicrobial activities of korean marine algae against fish pathogenic bacteria. J. Fish Pathol. 18(2):147-156.
- Kim, B. S., T. R. Kwon, J. E. Hwang, J. M. Lee, D. G. Park, J. H. Ahn and H. Y. Kim (2010) Resistance to Phytophthroa blight of commercial pepper cultivars in Korea. Plant Dis. 16:141-147. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2010.16.2.141
- Kim. C. H (2004) Review of disease incidence of major crops in 2003. Res. Plant Dis. 10:1-7. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2004.10.1.001
- Kim, C. H. and K. S. Park (1988) A predictive model of disease progression of red-pepper anthracnose. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 4:325-331.
- Kim, J. T., K. H. Lee, J. Y. Min, J. J. Cho, B. K. Kang, S. W. Park, N. V. Bach, Y. S. Kim, H. S. Tack, C. W. Rho and H. T. Kim (2004) Fluctuation of the sensitivity of Colletotrichum spp. causing the red-pepper anthracnose to chlorothalonil. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 8(3):231-237.
- Kim, M. S., K. J. Kwon, M. J. Lee, S. M. Ahn and H. Y. Sohn (2012) Evaluation of the antimicrobial activities of 35 seaweed extracts against pathogenic bacteria and Candida sp.. Korean J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 40(2):144-151. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1203.03005
- Kim, P. I., H. Bai, D. Bai, h. chae, S. Chung, Y. Kim, R. Park and Y. T. Chi (2004) Purification and characterization of a lipopeptide produced by Bacillus thuringiensis CMB26. J. Appl. Microbiol. 97:942-949. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2004.02356.x
- Kondoh, M., M. Hirai and M. Shoda (2001) Integrated biological and chemical control of damping-off caused by Rhizoctonia solani using Bacillus subtilis RB14-C and flutolanil. J. Biosci. Bioeng. 91:173-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1389-1723(01)80061-X
- Kurata, K. and T. Amiya (1980) A new bromophenol from red alga Polysiphonia urcerolata. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 53:2020-2022. https://doi.org/10.1246/bcsj.53.2020
- Kwak, Y. K., I. S. Kim, M. C. Cho, S. C. Lee and S. Kim. (2012) Growth inhibition effect of environment-friendly farm materials in Colletotrichum acutatum in vitro. J. Bioenvironment Control. 21(2):127-133.
- Kwon, C. S. and S. G. Lee (2002) Occurrence and ecological characteristics of red pepper anthracnose. Res. Plant Dis. 8(2):120-123. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2002.8.2.120
- Kwon, S. M., D. H. Kim, T. H. Chang, M. G. Jeon, I. S. Kim, and I. H. Kim. (2010) Screening of antifungal medicinal plants for turfgrass fungal disease control. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 24(2):176-181.
- Lee, H. S., G. J. Choi, K. Y. Cho, S. G. Lee, and Y. J. Ahn. (2000) Fungicidal and insecticidal activities of various grain extracts against five insect pests and six phytopathogenic fungi. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 4(3):7-14.
- Lee, J. E., Y. R. Yeoung, S. B. Kwon and B. S. Kim (2011) Screening of seed treatment agents against leaf blight and black root rot for carrot organic cultivation. Res. Plant Dis. 17(2):148-154. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2011.17.2.148
- Lee, S. G., Y. J. Ahn, J. D. Park, J. C. Kim, K. Y. Cho, and H. S. Lee (2001) Fungicidal activity of 46 plant extracts against rice leaf blast, rice sheath blight, tomato late blight, cucumber gray mold, barley powdery mildew and wheat leaf rust. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 5(3):18-25.
- Lee, S. J., K. K. Shim, Y. K. Kim and K. Y. Hhu (1998) Suppression of Rhizoctonia spp. by antagonistic microorganism and their compatibility with fungicides. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 12(1):23-30.
- Li, X. G and J. Choi (2009) Development of a system for controlling ginseng alternaria leaf blight to reduce fungicide application and use. Res. Plant Dis. 15(1):17-22. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2009.15.1.017
- Li. X. G., J. S. Han, X. Jin, D. Yin and J. E. Choi (2008) Control of Alternaria leaf blight of ginseng by microbial agent and fungicides. Res. Plant Dis. 14(2):102-106. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2008.14.2.102
- Liu, J. N., Y. Yoshida, M. Q. Wang, Y. Okai and U. Yamachita (1997) B cell stimulating activity of seaweed extracts. Int. J. Immunopharmac. 19(3):135-142.
- Manandhar, J. B., G. L. Hartman and T. C. Wang (1995) Anthracnose development on pepper fruits inoculated with Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. Plant Dis. 79:380-383. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-79-0380
- Mayer, A. M. S and M. T. Hamann (2004) Marine pharmacology in 2000: Marine compounds with antibacterial, anticoagulant, antifungal, anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory, antiplatelet, antiprotozoal and antiviral activities affecting the cardiovascular, endocrine, immune and nervous systems, and other miscellaneous mechanisms of action. Mar. Biotechnol. 6:37-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10126-003-0007-7
- Myung, I. S., S. K. Hong, Y. K. Lee, H. W. Choi, H. S. Shim, J. W. Park, K. S. Park, S. Y. Lee, S. D. Lee, S. H. Lee, H. S. Choi, Y. G. Kim, D. B. Shin, D. S. Ra, W. H. Yeh, S. S. Han and W. D. Cho (2006) Review of disease incidences of major crops of the south Korea in 2005. Res. Plant Dis. 12:153-157. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2006.12.3.153
- Ninot, A., N. Aleta, C. Moragrega and E. Montesinos (2002) Evaluation of a reduced copper spraying program to control bacterial blight of walnut. Plant Dis. 86:583-587. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.2002.86.6.583
- Pae, D. H., J. Y. Yoon and J. M. Lee (1998) Screening for resistance to Colletotrichum gloeosporioides using detached fruits in pepper by high-pressure spray. J. Korean Soc. Hort. Sci. 39:690-692.
- Park, H. K., B. S. Kim and W. S. Lee (1986) Studies on resistance to anthracnose in pepper. Agr. Res. Bull. Kyungpook Natl. Univ. 4:7-11.
- Park, K. S. and C. H. Kim (1994) Effect of temperature, relative humidity and free water period on lesion development and acervulus formation of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides on red pepper. Korean J. Plant pathol. 10:34-38.
- Park, S. J., G. H. Kim, A. H. Kim, H. T. Lee, H. W. Gwon, J. H. Kim, K. H. Lee and H. T. Kim (2012) Controlling effect of agricultural organic materials on Phytophthora blight and anthracnose in red pepper. Res. Plant Dis. 18(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2012.18.1.001
- Park, S. J., S. M. Lee, H. W. Gwon, H. T. Lee and H. T. Kim (2014) Control Efficacy of Bordeaux mixture against pepper anthracnose. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 18(3):168-174. https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2014.18.3.168
- Park, Y. H., B. H. Song, Y. K. Kim, Y. S. Park and C. S. Shin (1992) Development of mixed pesticide for Phytophthora rot and anthracnose control in red pepper. Res. Rept. RDA 34:121-125.
- Shin, H. J., Z. J. Chen, J. M. Hwang and S. G. Lee (1999) Comparison of pepper anthracnose pathogen from Korea and China. Korean J. Plant Pathol.15:323-329.
- Vairappan, C. S., T. Kawamoto, H. Miwa and M. Suzuki (2004) Potent antibacterial activity of halogenated compounds against antibiotic resistant bacteria, Planta Med. 70(11): 1087-1090. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-832653
- Vega, J., B. Escobar and B. Velazquez-Marti (2013) Application of bordeaux mixture for Botrytis control in passion fruit cultivated under organic farming in the Andean region. J. Food Agri. Environ. 11:904-907.
- Xu, N., X. Fan, X. Yan, X. Li, R. Niu and C. K. Tseng (2003) Antibacterial bromophenols from the marine red alga Rhodomela confervoides. Phytochem. 62(8):1221-1224. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(03)00004-9
- Yoon, J. B. and H. G. Park (2001) Screening method for resistance to pepper fruit anthracnose : Pathogen sporulation, inoculation methods related to inoculum concentrations and post-inoculation environment. J. Korean Soc. Hort. Sci. 42:389-393.
Supported by : 국립농업과학원