- Volume 4 Issue 4
It is common for tall buildings in Korea to have a ground response that is highly sensitive to the behavior of the structure. Therefore, the geology of the ground needs to be carefully assessed and considered in the design process to accurately predict the performance of the foundation system. This paper sets out a systematic design approach and ground investigation methodology for the soil conditions frequently encountered in Korea. Various foundation design methods are introduced along with several case studies conducted in Korea.
- Bell, A. L. (1915). The lateral pressure and resistance of clay, and the supporting power of clay foundations. Proc. Inst. Civ. Eng. 199, pp. 233-272.
- Burland, J. Chapman, T., Skinner, H., and Brown, M. (2012). ICE Manual of geotechnical engineering (2012). pp. 765-886
- Arup International Ltd. (2007). Engineering Geology Mapping and Foundation Formation Assessment Report. p. 20, Appendices.
- Badelow, F., Sze, J., and Kim, S. H. (2011). Guideline for foundation design of high-rise buildings(draft). CTBUH (2011), Seoul, Korea.
- Canadian Geotechnical Society. (2006). Canadian Foundation Manual 4th Edition. pp. 145-146.
- Duncan C. Wyllie. (1999). Foundation on Rock 2nd Edition. E&FN SPON, pp. 145-146.
- FHWA. (2001). Manual on Subsurface Investigations. pp. 9-29.
- Horikoshi, K. and Randolph, M. F. (1997). On the definition of raft-soil stiffness ratio for rectangular rafts. Geotechnique, 47(5), pp. 1055-1061. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19184.108.40.2065
- International Society for Rock Mechanics. (1981). Suggested methods for the quantitative description of discontinuities in rock mass. ISRM Suggested methods, Pergamon Press.
- Jinyoung E&C Co., Ltd.(2007). Geotechnical Foundation Report for Metapolis. pp. 3-40.
- Kim, S. H., Poulos, H. G., and Badelow, F. (2008). A case study of mega foundation design for a super high-rise building in a reclaimed area. 2nd Asian Workshop on ATC-18 Mega Foundations, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, S. H. and Choi, Y. K. (2009). A case study of mega foundation design for a super high-rise building in a weak rock condition. 3rd Asian Workshop on ATC-18 Mega Foundation, Bangkok, Thailand, 2009.
- Korea Engineering & Consulting Association. (2004). Korea Geotechnical Investigations Standard for Pay Count. KENCA, p. 160.
- Kulhawy, F. H and Goodman, R. E. (1987). Foundation in rock Chapter 55 in Ground Engineers Reference Book, F. G. Bell (ed.) Butterworths, London.
- Mandolini, A., Russo, G. and Viggiani, C. (2005). Pile foundations: experimental investigations, analysis and design. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 12-16 September 2005, Osaka, Japan, Vol. 1, pp. 177-213. Rotterdam, the Netherlands: Millpress.
- Mayne, P. W. and Poulos, H. G (1999). Approximate displacement influence factors for elastic shallow foundations. Journal of Geology and Geoenvironmental. Engineering ASCE, June, pp. 453-460.
- Menard, L. (1957). Interpretation and Application of Pressure meter Test Results to Foundation Design. The Menard Pressure meter, pp.19-20
- O'Neill, M. W., Townsend, F. C., Hassan, K. M., Buller, A., and Chan, P. S. (1996). Load Transfer for Drilled Shafts in Intermediate Geomaterials. FHWA-RD_95-171, FHWA, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Paul W. Mayne, Barry R. Christopher, and Jason DeJong. (2001). Manual on Subsurface Investigations. National Highway Institute Publication No. FHWA NHI-01-031 Federal Highway Administration Washington, DC, pp. 9-29.
- Peck, R. B., Hansen, W. E., and Thornburn, T. H. (1974). Foundation Engineering. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, p. 514.
- Poulos, H. G. and Davis, E. H. (1980). Pile Foundation Analysis and Design. New York: Wiley.
- Randolph, M. F. (1994). Design methods for pile groups and piled rafts. In Proceedings of the 13th ICSMFE, New Delhi, Vol. 5, pp. 61-82.
- Randolph, M. F. (1994). Design methods for pile groups and piled rafts. Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Soil Mech. and Foundn. Engng., New Delhi, 4, 61-82.
- Randolph, M. F. (1994). Design methods for pile groups and piled rafts. State-of-the-Art Report, 13th Int. Conf. Soil mech. Foundn Engng, New Delhi, 5, 61-82.
- Seoul City. (2006). Manual on Geotechnical Investigations. Seoul City.
- Tomlinson, M. J. (1987). Pile Design and Construction Practice (3rd Edition). Farnham L Palladian.
- Wardle L. J. and Fraser R. A. (1975). Methods for raft foundation design including soil structure interaction. Symposium on raft foundation, Perth, Australia.