- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Anti-asthmatic activities of Cypress oil in a mouse model of allergic asthma
마우스 모델을 이용한 사이프러스 오일의 알러지성 천식 억제 효과
- Sueng, Yun-Cheal (Dept. of Alternative Medicine, Daejon University) ;
- Chung, Kyu-Jin (College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University) ;
- Cheong, Kwang-Jo (Dept. of Beauty Health Care, Daejon University)
- Received : 2014.10.07
- Accepted : 2015.01.20
- Published : 2015.01.28
This study was aimed to evaluate the effects of Cypress oil(CS) on anti-asthmatic activities in a mouse model of allergic asthma. Using an Ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma mouse model, 0.3% of CS was administered to experimental group using a nebulizer for 3 weeks on a basis of 3 times per week and 30min each time. The degree of airway hypersensitivity, the number of eosinophil in white blood cells, the number of immune cells and the change of cytokine in lung tissue were evaluated. The degree of airway hypersensitivity, the number of eosinophil, IL-5 and IL-13 levels in lung tissue, IgE in serum, the number of CCR3, CD3, CD4 cells were significantly decreased in experimental group treated with CS. These results suggested that CS may have a positive effects on Th2 cytokine and eosinophils which are major factors of asthma responses. Therefore CS might be of therapeutic value in treating asthma.
- Hartert.T.V., Peebles.R.S., Epidemiology of asthma; the year of review. Curr. Opin. Pulm. Med, Vol. 6, pp. 4-9, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00063198-200001000-00002
- Busse, WW., Lemanske Jr., RF., Asthma. N Engl J Med, Vol. 344, No.5, pp. 350-362, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200102013440507
- James J.,Lee, Dawn Dimina, MiMi P.Macias, Sergei I.Ochkur, Michael P.MacGarry, Katie R.O 'Neill, Cheryl Protheroe, Ralph Pero, Thanh Nguyen, Stephania A.Cormier, Elizabeth Lenkiewicz, Dana Colbert, Lisa Rinaldi, Steven J.Ackerman, Charles G.Irvin, Nancy A.Lee., Defining a Link with Asthma in Mice Congenitally Deficient in Eosinophils. SCIENCE, Vol. 305, pp. 1773-1776, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1099472
- Alison A. Humbles, Clare M.Lloyd, Sarah J. McMillan, Daniel S.Friend, Georgina Xanthou, Erin.E.McKenna, Sorina Chiran, Norma P.Gerard, ChanningYu, Stuart H.Orkin, CraigGerard, A Critical Role for Eosinophils in Allergic Airways Remodeling. SCIENCE, Vol. 305, pp. 1776-1779, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1100283
- Zhou Zhu, Tao Zheng, Robert J.Homer, Yoon-Keu -n Kim, Ning Yuan Chen, Lauren Cohn, Qutayba Hamid, Jack A.Elias., Acidic Mammalian Chitinase in Asthmatic Th2 Inflammation and IL-13 Pathwa-y Activation. SCIENCE, Vol. 304, pp. 1678-1682, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1095336
- Sung-Hwahn Hahn, The Effect of Essential Oils from Citron, Pine Tree, Chamaecyparis pisifera and Chamaecyparis obtusa on IL-8 Transcription and Secretion. M.S. dissertation, Dankook University. p. 27, 2011.
- Niazi, J., Singh, P., Bansal, Y., and Goel, R., Anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic activity of aqueous extract of fresh leaves of Coccinia indica. Inflammopharmacol, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 239-244, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-009-0010-3
- Sung-Hwahn Hahn, The Effect of Essential Oils from Citron, Pine Tree, Chamaecyparis pisifera and Chamaecyparis obtusa on IL-8 Transcription and Secretion. M.S. dissertation, Dankook University. p. 2, 2011.
- Sousa OV, Silverio MS, Del-Vechio-Vieira G, Matheus FC, Yamamoto CH and Alves MS., Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of the essential oil from Eremanthus erythropappus leaves. J Pharm Pharmacol, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 771-777, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.60.6.0013
- Chorianopoulos N, Evergetis E, Mallouchos A, Kalpoutzakis E, Nychas GJ, Haroutounian SA., Characterization of the essential oil volatiles of Satureja thymbra and Satureja parnassica: influence of harvesting time and antimicrobial activity. J Agric Food Chem, Vol. 54, No. 8, pp. 3139-3145, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf053183n
- Burke BE, Baillie JE, Olson RD., Essential oil of Australian lemon myrtle (Backhousia citriodora) in the treatment of molluscum contagiosum in children. Biomed Pharmacother, Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 245-247, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2003.11.006
- Ait Mbarek L, Ait Mouse H, Elabbadi N, Bensalah M, Gamouh A, Aboufatima R, et al. Anti-tumor properties of blackseed (Nigella sativa L.) extracts. Braz J Med Biol Res, Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 839-847, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-879X2006005000108
- Kawashima H, Tateishi N, Shiraishi A, Teraoka N, Tanaka T, Tanaka A, et al. Oral administration of dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid prevents developme-nt of atopic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice. Lipids, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 37-43, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-007-3129-2
- Hye-youn Lee, The Effect of Nebulized Frankincense Essential Oil in an OVA-Induced Allergic Asthma Mouse Model. Ph.D. dissertation, Konkuk University. 2009.
- Kyung-Hee Hyun, Youn-Seup Kim, Jeung-Keun Suh, Sung-Hwahn Hahn, Do-Hyung Kim, Jae-Suk Park and Young-Koo Jee, The Suppressive Effect of Essential Oils from Plants on Interleukin-8 from Airway Epithelial Cell. Korean J Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol., Vol. 31, pp. 272-280, 2011.
- Young-Kyung Jeon, Inhibitory Effect of the Induced Allergic Asthma Murine by Peppermint Inhlalation Therapy. M.S. dissertation, Daejeon University. 2010.
- Kyung-ah Seo, The Antibacterial Effect of Chamaecyparis obtusa on Malassezia furfur and Its Effect on Dandruff Scalp. M.S. dissertation, Konkuk University. 2013.
- Ji-Young Jung, Antibacterial Effect with essential oil from Hinoki cypress on skin microbiota. M.S. dissertation, Kwangju Women's University. 2011.
- Ye-hyun Lee, Antimicrobial effect of Chamaecyparis obtusa and Thuja orientalis essential oils on Staphylococcus pseudintermedius isolated from canine skin and ears. M.S. dissertation, Seoul National University, 2014.
- Seon-Hong Kim, Whitening effect and antioxidant activity of essential oils from Cryptomeria japonica and Chamaecyparis obtusa. M.S. dissertation, Seoul National University. 2011.
- Seong-Kyeom Kim, Modulatory Effect of Chamaecyparis obtusa Leaf Essential Oils on Airway Hyperresponsiveness and Inflammation in a Murine Model of Allergic Asthma. M.S. dissertation, Chungbuk National University. 2014.
- So-Eun Cho, Anti-oxidative, Anti-inflammatory and Immunomodulatory effects of Chamaecyparis obtusa Leaves Extracts for Atopic Dermatitis. Ph.D. dissertation, Konkuk University. 2012.
- Imededdine Arbi Nehdi, Cupressus sempervirens var. horizentalis seed oil: Chemical composition, physicochemical characteristics, and utilizations. Industrial Crops and Products, Vol. 41 pp. 381-385, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2012.04.046
- Samy A Selim, Mohammed E Adam, Sherif M Hassan and Abdulrhman R Albalawi, Chemical composition, antimicrobial and antibiofilm activity of the essential oil andmethanol extract of the Mediterranean cypress (Cupressus sempervirens L.). Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Vol. 14. p. 179, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-14-179
- Sedigheh Asgary, Gholam Ali Naderi, Mohammad Reza Shams Ardekani, Amirhossein Sahebkar, Atousa Airin, Sanaz Aslani, Taghi Kasher, and Seyed Ahmad Emami, Chemical analysis and biological activities of Cupressus sempervirens var. horizontalis essential oils. Pharmaceutical Biology, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 137-144, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880209.2012.715168
- Myung-Won Joo, Ju-Youn Kim, The Hindrance Effect of Essential Oil on the Growth of Scalp Microorganisms -Focused on Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Cypress Geranium, Lemon Grass. Jounal of The Korean Society of cosmetology, Vol.18 No.2, 2012.
- Yu-Hyeon Shin, A Study on Compound Analysis and Effect of Biological activity and Antimicrobial for Natural Essential oil in Cosmetics Industry. M.S. dissertation, Daegu Haany University. 2013.
- Young-Han Yun, Kyong-Soon Kim, Hye-Young Oh, Byong-Soo Yu, Ki-Young Kim, A Screening of 5 Species Essential Oil's Safety by the Observation of Cytotoxicity and Morphological Change on Cells. J, Kor, Soc. Cosm. Vol. 14, No. 3, 2008.
- Hye-Youn Lee, Kum-Lan Kim, Mi-young Yun, Sang-Mo Kang, The effect of essentail oil mixture in a mouse model of allergic asthma. The Korean Society for Aesthetics and Cosmetology, Vol.7 No.1, 2009.
- Sim Myoung Ki, Change of inflammatory markers in induced sputum in suspected asthmatics by anti-asthma treatment. Ph.D. dissertation, Chonnam National University. 2012.
- Woodruff PG, Khashayar R, Lazarus SC, Janson S, Avila P, Boushey HA, Segal M, Fahy JV., Relationship between airway inflammation, hyperresponsiveness, and obstruction in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol., Vol. 108, pp. 753-8, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2001.119411
- Louis R, Lau LC, Bron AO, Roldaan AC, Radermecker M, Djukanovic R., The relationship between airways inflammation and asthma severity. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, Vol. 161, pp. 9-16, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.161.1.9802048
- Ulinska D, Szmidt M. Usefulness of the eosinophil count in induced sputum of asthmatic patients. Pneumonol Alergol Pol., Vol. 69, No. 9-10, pp. 581-589, 2001.
- Maneechotesuwan K, Essilfie-Quaye S., Kharitonov SA, Adocock IM and Bames PJ., Loss of control of asthma following inhaled corticosteroid withdrawal is associated with increased sputum interleukin-8 and neutrophils. Chest, Vol. 132, No. 1, pp.98-105, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.06-2982
- Seung-Yeon Jeong, Effects of Salviae miltiorrhizae on inflammatory cells associated with asthma via splenocyte, BMMC, eosinophil. Ph. D. dissertation, Kyung Hee University. 2009.
- Bousquet J, Chanez P, Lacoste JY, Barneon G, Ghavanian N, Enander I, Venge P, Ahlstedt S, Simony-Lafontaine J, Godard P., Eosinophilic inflammation in asthma. N Engl J Med, Vol. 323, No. 15, pp. 1033-1039, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199010113231505
- Jong-Tae Cha, Anti-asthmatic activities of leaves of Eribotrya japonica Lindley in a mouse model of allergic asthma. Ph.D. dissertation, Sangji University. 2012.
- Homer A. Boushey, MD., New and Exploratory Therapies for Asthma. CHEST, Vol. 123, pp. 439-445, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.123.3_suppl.439S-a
- Lee JH, Mcore JH, Park SW, Jang As, Uh ST, Kim YH, Park CS, Park BL and Shin HD, Genetic interactions model among Eotaxin gene polymorphisms in asthma. J. Hum. Genet, Vol. 53, No. 10, pp. 867-875, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10038-008-0314-y
- Fulkerson PC, Fischetti CA and Rothenberg ME, Eosinophlis and CCR3 regulate interleukin-13 transgene-induced pulmonary remodeling. Am. J. Pathol., Vol. 169, No. 6, pp. 2117-2126, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2006.060617
- Erin EM, Williams TJ, Barnes PJ, Hansel TT., Eotaxin receptor(CCR3) antagonism in asthma and allergic disease. Curr Drug Targets Inflamm Allergy, Vol. 1, pp. 201-214, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2174/1568010023344715
- Lee SY, Kwon SS, Kim YK, Kim KH, Moon HS, Song JS. and Park SH, Distribution and cytokine production of CD4 and CD8 T-lymphocyte subsets in patients with acute asthma attacks, Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol., Vol. 86, No. 6, pp. 659-664, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1081-1206(10)62295-8
- Matsumoto K, Inoue H, Nakano T, Tsuda M, Yoshiura Y, Fukuyama S, Tsushima F, Hoshino T, Aizawa H, Akiba H, Pardoll D, Hara N, Yagita H, Azuma M and Nakanishi Y, B7-DC regulates asthmatic response by an IFN-gamma-dependent mechanism, J. Immunol., Vol. 172, No. 4, pp. 2530-2541, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.172.4.2530
- Lauren Cohn, Jack A. Elias, and Geoffrey L. Chup. ASTHMA: Mechanisms of Disease Persistence and Progression. Annu. Rev. Immunol, Vol. 22, pp. 789-81, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.immunol.22.012703.104716
- Hanmelmann E, Gelfand EW : IL-5-induced airway eosinophilia-the key to asthma? Immunol Rev, Vol. 179, pp. 182-191, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-065X.2001.790118.x
- Young-Su An, Eotaxin and IL-5 in the sputum of the patients with stable bronchial asthma and with eosinodhilic bronchitis. M.S. dissertation, Soon Chun Hyang University. 2000.
- Lee BR, Hong KE, Jang SG : The experimental study on the immuno-regulatory effect of notopterygii rhizoma herbal-acupuncture at Pyeus(BL13) on OVA-induced asthma in mice, The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint, Vol. 22, pp. 107-125, 2005.
- Heung Bin Lim and Seung Hyung Kim, Antiasthmatic Effects on Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi Extracts Against Airway Inflammation and Hyperresponsiveness Induced by Diesel Exhaust Particles with Ovalbumin Sensitization. Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci., Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 129-135, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2012.20.2.129