- Volume 35 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Casting Thickness and Plunger Velocity on Porosity in Al Plate Diecasting
Al 박육 다이캐스팅 주물에서 기포결함에 미치는 주물두께, 사출속도의 영향
Kang, Ho-Jeong;Park, Jin-Young;Kim, Eok-Soo;Cho, Kyung-Mox;Park, Ik-Min
- Received : 2015.05.04
- Accepted : 2015.07.15
- Published : 2015.08.31
The Al die casting process has been widely used in the manufacturing of automotive parts when the process requires near-net shape casting and a high productive rate. However, porosity arises in the casting process, and this hampers the wider use of this method for the creation of high-durability automotive components. The porosity can be controlled by the shot condition, but, it is critical to set the shot condition in the sleeve, and it remains difficult to optimize the shot condition to avoid air entrapment efficiently. In this study, the 4.5 mm, 2.0 mm plate die castings were fabricated under various shot conditions, such as plunger velocities of 0.7 m/s ~ 3.0 m/s and fast shot set points of the cavity of -25%, 0%, 25%, and 50%. The mold filling behavior of Al melts in the cavity was analyzed by a numerical method. Also, according to the shot conditions, the results of numerical analyses were compared to those of die-casting experiments. The porosity levels of the plate castings were analyzed by X-ray CT images and by density and microstructural analyses. The effects of the porosity on the mechanical properties were analyzed by tensile tests and hardness tests. The simulation results are in good general agreements with the die-casting experimental results. When plunger velocity and fast shot set point are 1.0 m/s and cavity 25% position, castings had optimum condition for good mechanical properties and a low level of porosity.
Al thin plate die casting;Casting thickness;Plunger velocity;Porosity;Simulation
- V.Joshi, A.Srivastava, R.Shivpuri and E.Rolinski, Surface and Coatings Technology, "Investigating ion nitriding for the reduction of dissolution and soldering in die-casting shot sleeves", 668 (2003) 668-673.
- H.D.Zhao, F.Wang, Y.Y.Li and W.Xia, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, "Experimental and numerical analysis of gas entrapment defects in plate ADC12 die castings", 209 (2009) 4537-4542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.10.028
- L.Wang, P.Turnley and G.Savage, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, "Gas content in high pressure die castings", 211 (2011) 1510-1515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2011.03.024
- Jin CK and Kang CG, International joural of hydrogen enegery, "Fabrication by vacuum die casting and simulation of aluminum bipolar plates with micro-channels on both sides for proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells", 37 (2012) 1661-1676. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.10.050
- Jin CK, Jang CH, Kim JS, Choi JW and Kang CG, J. Korea Foundry Society, "Fabrication Process and Forming Analysis of Fuel Cell Bipolar Plate by Injection Condition of Vacuum Die Casting", 31 (2011) 274-283. https://doi.org/10.7777/jkfs.2011.31.5.274
- G.W.Mugica, D.O.Tovio, J.C.Cuyas and A.C,Gonzalez, Material Research, "Effect of Porosity on the Tensile Properties of Low Ductility Aluminum Alloys", 7 (2004) 221-229. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-14392004000200002
- X.P.Niu, B.H.Hu, I.Pinwill and H.li, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, "Vacuum assisted high pressure die casting of aluminium alloys", 105 (2000) 119-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00545-8
- V.D.Tsoukalas, S.A.Mavrommatis, N.G.Orfanoudakis and A. K.Baldoukas, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, "A study of porosity formation in pressure die casting using the Taguchi approach", 218 (2004) 77-86. https://doi.org/10.1243/095440504772830228
- R.E.Khayat, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, "A three-dimensional boundary element approach to confined free-surface flow as applied to die casting", 22 (1998) 83-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-7997(98)00038-1
- Park BC, J. Korea Foundry Society, "Investigation of Injection Shot Parameter Effects Using Computer Flow Model in High Pressure Die Casting", 24 (2004) 238-248.
- Jin CK and Kang CG, Journal of Power Sources, "Fabrication process analysis and experimental verification for aluminum bipolar plates in fuel cells by vacuum die-casting", 196 (2011) 8241-8249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.05.073
- V.D.Tsoukalas, Materials and Design 29, "Optimization of porosity formation in AlSi9Cu3 pressure die castings using genetic algorithm analysis", 29 (2008) 2027-2033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2008.04.016
- Bill Andresen, Die casting engineering : a hydraulic, thermal, and mechanical process, Marcel Dekker, New York (2005).
- Allsop, D. F and Kennedy, D, Pressure diecasting part 1, pergamon press, oxford (1982).
- F.Faura, J.Lopez and J.Hernandez, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, "On the optimum plunger acceleration law in the slow shot phase of pressure die casting machines", 41 (2001) 173-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0890-6955(00)00079-1
- G.O.V, R.P.K.M and M.A.Rossi, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, "Influence of injection parameters on defects formation in die casting Al12Si1, 3Cu alloy: Experimental results and numeric simulation", 179 (2006) 190-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.03.089
- M.S.Dargusch, G.Dour, N.Schauer, C.M.Dinnis and G.Savage, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, "The influence of pressure during solidification of high pressure die cast aluminium telecommunications components", 180 (2006) 37-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.05.001
Supported by : 한국연구재단