- Volume 37 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on Development of Management Targets and Evaluation of Target Achievement for Non-point Source Pollution Management in Saemangeum Watershed
새만금 비점오염원 관리지역에서의 목표설정 및 달성도 평가방법론 연구
- Received : 2015.06.26
- Accepted : 2015.08.30
- Published : 2015.08.31
In this study, methods using LDC (Load Duration Curve) and watershed model were suggested to develope management targets and evaluate target achievement for non-point source pollution management considering watershed and runoff characteristics and possibility for achievement of target. These methods were applied for Saemangeum watershed which was designated as nonpoint source pollution management area recently. Flow duration interval of 5 to 40% was selected as flow range for management considering runoff characteristics and TP was selected as indicator for management. Management targets were developed based on scenarios for non-point source pollutant reduction of management priority areas using LDC method and HSPF model which was calibrated using 4 years data (2009~2012). In the scenario of LID, road sweeping and 50% reduction in CSOs and untreated sewage at Jeonju A20 and 30% reduction in fertilizer and 50% in livestock NPS at Mankyung C03, Dongjin A14 and KobuA14, management targets for Mangyung bridge, Dongjin bridge, Jeonju stream and Gunpo bridge were developed as TP 0.38, 0.18, 0.64 and 0.16 mg/L respectively. When TP loads at the target stations were assumed to have been reduced by a certain percentage (10%), management targets for those target stations were developed as TP 0.35, 0.17, 0.60 and 0.15 mg/L respectively. The result of this study is expected to be used as reference material for management master plan, implementation plan and implementation assessment for non-point source management area.
Management Target;LDC (Load Duration Curve);Non-point Source Pollution Management;Saemangeum;Watershed Model
- Choi, J. W., Kang, M. J., Ryu, J. C., Kim, D. I., Lim, K. J. and Shin, D. S., "Assessing the Action Plans in the Control Area (Soyang Reservoir) of Non-point Source Pollution," J. Korean Environ. Sci. Soc., 23(5), 839-852(2014).
- Park, B. K., Kang, M. J., Kim, E. J., Kim, S. J., Kim, Y. S., Rhew, D. H. and Kim, S. H., "Study on Outcome and Upgrade Direction of Designation Policy of Non-point Source Control Areas," in Proceedings of the Joint Spring Conference of Korea Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, pp. 70-71(2014).
- Yoon, S. W. Chung, S. W., Oh, D. G. and Lee, J. W., "Monitoring of nonpoint source pollutants load from mixed forest land," J. Environ. Sci., 22(6), 801-805(2010) https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(09)60180-7
- Hann, C. T., Statistical methods in hydrology. The Iowa State University Press, Iowa. pp. 1-378(1977).
- U. S. EPA, TMDLs Stormwater Permits Handbook (draft), Office of Wetlands, Oceans and Watersheds, U. S. EPA, Washington, DC, pp. 1-193(2008).
- Han, S. H., Shin, H. S. and Kim, S. D., "Applicability of Load Duration Curve to Nakdong River Watershed Management," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 23(5), 620-627(2007).
- Hwang, H. S., Park, B. K., Kim, Y. S., Park, K. J., Cheon, S. U. and Lee, S. J., "Research on the Applicability of the Load Duration Curve to Evaluate the Achievement of Target Water Quality in the Unit Watershed for a TMDL," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ, 27(6), 885-896(2011).
- Nebraska, Total Maximum Daily Loads for the Big Blue River Basin (Fecal Coliform and E. coli Bacteria), Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality Planning Unit, Water Quality Division(2004).
- Nevada, Load Duration Curve Methodology for Assessment and TMDL. Development Nevada Division of Environmental Protection(2003).
- Oregon, Bacteria Technical Appendix, Williamette Basin TMDL, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality(2004).
- South California, Total Maximum Daily Load Development for the Upper Broad River Watershed_Fecal Coliform Bacteria, South California Department of Health and Environmental Control(2004).
- Hwang, H. S., Yoon, C. G. and Kim, J. T., "Application Load Duration Curve for Evaluation of Impaired Watershed at TMDL Unit Watershed in Korea," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ, 26(6), 903-909(2010).
- Choi, K. W., Shin, K. Y., Lee, H. J. and Jun, S. H., "Assessment of the Water Quality of Jungnang Stream by Flow Conditions Using Load Duration Curve," J. Environ. Health Sci., 38(5), 438-447(2012).
- Kang, H. W., Ryu, J. C., Shin, M. H., Choi, J. D., Choi, J. W., Shin, D. S. and Lim, K. J., "Application of Web-based Load Duration Curve System to TMDL Watersheds for Evaluation of Water Quality and Pollutant Loads," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 27(5), 689-698(2011).
- Park, J. D. and Oh, S. Y., "Methodology for the Identification of Impaired Waters Using LDC for the Manag,ement of Total Maximum Daily Loads," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 28(5), 693-703(2012).
- Park, J. H., Kim, K. S., Jung, J. W., Hwang, K. S., Moon, M. J., Ham, S. I. and Lim, B. J., "Water Quality Characteristics Evaluation by Flow Conditions Using Load Duration Curve-in Youngbon A Watershed-," J. Environ. Impact Assess., 22(4), 319-327(2013). https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2013.22.4.319
- Yun, S. Y., Ryu, J. N. and Oh, J. I., "Water Quality Management Measures for TMDL Unit Watershed Using Load Duration Curve," J. Korean Soc. Water Wastewater, 27(4), 429-438(2013). https://doi.org/10.11001/jksww.2013.27.4.429
- Lee, J.W., Kwon, H. G., Yi, Y. J., Yoon, J. S., Han, K. Y. and Cheon, S. U., "Quantitative Estimation of Nonpoint Source Load by BASINS/HSPF," J. Korean Environ. Sci. Soc., 21(8), 965-975(2012).
- Lee, Y. W., Song, K. D., Lee, J. C., Yoon, K. S., Rhew, D. H., Lee, S. W. and Lee, S. H., "Development of a Method for Estimating Non-Point Pollutant Delivery Load of Each Reference Flow with Combination of BASINS/HSPF," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 32(2), 175-184(2010).
- Yoon, C. G., Shin, A. H., Jung, K. W. and Jang, J. H., "A Study on BASINS/WinHSPF for Evaluation of Non-point Source Reduction Efficiency in the Upstream of Nam-Han River Watershed," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ, 23(6), 951-960(2007).
- Jung, C. G., Joh, H. K., Park, J. Y. and Kim, S. J., "Runoff Characteristics Comparison of Nonpoint Source Pollution for Two Adjacent Stream Watersheds using SWAT Model," J. Korean Soc. Agri. Eng., 54(3), 91-101(2012).
- Hwang, B. H., Kim, D. I., Yoon, Y. S. and Han, K. Y. "Non-point Source Quantification Analysis Using SWAT in Nakdong River Watershed," J. Korea Water Resour. Assoc., 43(4), 367-381(2010). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2010.43.4.367
- Jo, J. H. and Jo, N. H. "Estimation of Nonpoint Pollutant Loads in the Hwanggujichoen Basin using SWMM," J. Environ. Impact Assess., 12(5), 349-358(2003).
- Shin, H. S., Son, J. H., Jang, J. K., Shon, T. S., Kang, D. K. and Cho, D. J., "The NPS Analysis and CSO Management Based on SWMM for Oncheon Basin," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ, 25(2), 268-280(2009).
- Jung, J. Y., Shin, Y. R., Choi, J. H., Choi, I. K., Yoon, C. G. and Son, Y. K., "Characteristics of Pollutant Loads in Saemangeum Watershed Using HSPF," 18(2), 54-65(2011).
- Kim, B. G., Kim, I. S., Lee, G. J. and Kim, M. S., "Experimental study on the community participation for non-point source management in Saemangeum," in Proceeding of the annual meeting of the Korean Association for Local Government Studies, pp. 117-130(2013).
- Jang, N. J., Kim, B. G., Im, S. H. and Kim, T. G., "A Study on Evaluation of Target Region for the Agricultural Non-point Sources Management," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 34(1), 23-31(2012). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.1.023
- Jung, W. H., Yi, S. J., Kim, G. H. and Jeong, S. M. "Watershed Selection for Diffuse Pollution Management Based on Flow Regime Alteration and Water Quality Variation Analysis," J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 27(2), 228-234(2011).
- U. S. EPA, An Approach for Using Load Duration Curves in the Development of TMDLs, EPA 841-B-07-006, Office of Wetlands, Oceans and Watersheds, U. S. EPA, Washington, DC, pp. 1-68(2007).
- U. S. EPA, Handbook for Developing Watershed Plans to Restore and Protect Our Waters, EPA 841-B-08-002, U. S. EPA, Washington, DC, pp. 1-400(2008).
- Kim, E. J., Park, B. K., Shin, D. S., Kim, Y. S. and Rhew, D. H., "The Study on Methods for Setting of Water Quality Goal and Estimation of Allocation Loads on TMDL System Using a Dynamic Water Quality Model," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 36(9), 329-640(2014).
- NIER, Management measures of non-point source pollutants in Saemangeum watershed, National Institute of Environmental Research, pp. 1-304(2014).
- Federal Highway Association, Storm Water Best Management Practices in an Ultra-Urban Setting : selection and monitoring, pp. 1-287(2000).
- Government of Western Austrailia, Water quality monitoring program design-A guidance to the development of surface water quality monitoring programs, Government of Western Austrailia, pp. 1-30(2009).
Supported by : 국립환경과학원