- Volume 37 Issue 8
VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are generally generated in the painting process, or at the company and laundry where use organic solvents. The VOCs consist of various hydrocarbons and has low calorific value due to its dilution with atmospheric air. Therefore, the VOCs are difficult to burn by a conventional fuel combustor. In this study, a novel plasma dump combustor was proposed for the treatment of low calorific VOC gases. This combustor was designed a combination of the characteristics in a plasma burner, a dump combustor and a 3D matrix burner. The combustor has good structure for maintaining enough residence time and reaction temperature for stable flame formation and VOC destruction. For investigating the performance characteristics of the plasma dump combustor, an experiment was achieved for VOC feed rate, VOC injector position, etc. Toluene was used as a surrogate of VOC. The novel combustor gave better performance than a conventional combustor, showing that VOC destruction rate and energy efficiency were 89.64% and 12.27 kg/kWh respectively, at feeding rate of 450 L/min of VOC of 3,000 ppm of toluene concentration.
Plasma-dump Combustor;VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds);Cavity Region;Toluene;VOC Decomposition
- Lim, C. S., "Ozone forming potential by VOCs exhausted from motor vehicles," Konkuk University doctorate thesis (2002).
- Kim, J. C., "Trends and Control Technologies of Volatile Organic Compound," Korean Soc. Atmos. Environ., 22(6), 743-757(2006).
- Joung, J. K., "Decomposition of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) using synergistic combination system of non-thermal plasma (NTP) and catalyst," Korea University doctorate thesis (2012).
- Yang, D. R., Azhari, C. H., Mohtar, W. H. W. and Lee, H., "Advanced VOCs decomposition method by gliding arc plasma" Chem. Eng. J., 131(1-3), 337-341(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2006.11.009
- Kim, S. C. and Chun, Y. N., "Decomposition Characterist of Toluene Using a Glidarc Water-jet Plasma," Korean Soc. Atmos. Environ., 24(3), 329-335(2008). https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2008.24.3.329
- Chun, Y. N., Chae, J. S. and Jung, O. J., "The Development of Hazardous Waste Compact Dump incinerator for Low Emissions," Korean Soc. Atmos. Environ., 16(6), 653-663 (2000).
- Lim, M. S. and Chun, Y. N., "The Study of Model Biogas Catalyst Reforming Using 3D IR Matrix Burner," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 34(12), 840-846(2012). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.12.840
- Lee, K. J., "The study of catalytic combustion of VOCs," J. Korea Org. Resour. Recycling Assoc., 14(1), 169-177(2006).
- Kim, H. G., Beak, T. I. and Park, N. S., "The plasma system for removal of VOCs/odor," J. Odor and Indoor Environ., 2005(6), 177-179(2005).
Supported by : 중소기업융합지원센터