- Volume 37 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Modeling the Flushing Effect of Multi-purpose Weir Operation on Algae Removal in Yeongsan River
영산강 다기능보 운영에 따른 플러싱 및 조류 배제 효과 모델링
- Received : 2015.09.25
- Accepted : 2015.10.28
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to model the effect of flushing discharge on algae removal by multi-purpose weir operation in Yeongsan River (Seungchon Weir) using a 3-dimensional (3D) model. The chlorophyceae Eudorina sp. formed bloom in May 2013. Flushing discharge was conducted in two different ways for algal bloom reduction. To elucidate the spatial variability, a high-resolution 3D model, ELCOM-CAEDYM, was used to simulate the spatial variations of water quality and chl-a over a month. The results showed that ELCOM-CAEDYM could reproduce highly spatially resolved field data at low cost, and showed very good performance in simulating the pattern of algal bloom occurrence. The effect of each flushing discharge operation was analyzed with the results of modeling. The results of case 1, flushing discharge using an open movable weir, showed that the algal bloom between the Seochang Bridge and the Hwangryong River junction is rapidly flushed after operating the movable weir, but the residual algae remained in the weir pool as the discharge decreased. However, the results of case 2, fixed weir overflow with a small hydropower stop, showed that most of the algae was removed after flushing discharge and the effect of algae removal was much bigger than that in case 1, as per modeling results and observed data.
Flushing Discharge;Multi-purpose Weir;Algae Removal;Eudorina sp.;ELCOM-CAEDYM
- Son, M. S., Park, J. H., Lim, C. H., Kim, S. K. and Lim, B. J., "Seasonal change of phytoplankton community and water quality in Yeongsan River watershed," Korean J. Environ. Biol., 31(2), 105-112(2013). https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2013.31.2.105
- K-water, Development of methods for optimal algae control reflecting the algae growth characteristics of weirs in four major rivers, K-water Institute Research Report(2013).
- Korea Ministry of Environment, Algal bloom and management annual report 2014, pp. 86-89(2015).
- Kim, Y. J., "Dynamics of phytoplankton community in Youngsan River," Algae, 18(3), 207-215(2003). https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2003.18.3.207
- Jeong, B. K., Kim, Y. J., Jung, S. W., Lee, H. Y. and Shin, Y. S., "Temporal variation and identification of a centric diatom, Stephanodiscus spp. during winter-spring blooms in the Yeongsan River," Korean J. Limnol., 47(4), 273-281 (2014).
- Chung, S. W. and Kim, Y. K., "Impact of a flushing discharge from an upstream dam on the NH3-N concentrations during winter seasons in Geum River," J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 21(6), 609-616(2005).
- Chung, S. W., Ko, I. H., and Kim, Y. K., "Effect of reservoir flushing on downstream river water quality," J. Environ. Manage., 86, 139-147(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2006.11.031
- Mitrovic, S. M., Chessman, B. C., Bowling, L. C. and Cooke, R. H., "Modelling suppression of cyanobacterial blooms by flow management in a Lowland River," River Res. Appl., 22, 109-114(2006). https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.875
- Fovet, O., Genthon, O., Litrico, X. and Belaud, G., "Managing invasive algae with flushing flows : new perspectives for canal control," Proceedings of the World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2012, Albuquerque New Mexico, pp. 2177-2187(2012).
- Hayden, N. J., Roelke, D. L., Brooks, B. W., Grover, J. P., Neisch, M. T., Valenti, T. W., Prosser, K. N., Gable, G. M., Umphres, G. D. and Hewitt, N. C., "Beyond hydraulic flushing : deep water mixing take the harm out of haptophyte algal bloom," Harmful algae, 20, 42-57(2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2012.07.006
- Yeongsan River Flood Control Office Home Page, http:// www.yeongsanriver.go.kr/(2010).
- K-water, Dam Operation Handbook, pp. 14-15(2013).
- Hodges, B. and Dallimore, C., Estuary, lake and coastal ocean model : ELCOM user manual, Centre for Water Research, University of Western Australia(2007).
- Hipsey, M. R., Romero, J. R., Antenucci J. P., and Hamilton, D. P., Computational aquatic ecosystem dynamics model : CAEDYM user manual, Centre for Water Research, University of Western Australia(2004).
- Water Information System Home Page, http://water.nier.go.kr/(2015).
- Chung, S. W., Hipsey, M. R. and Imberger, J., "Modelling the propagation of turbid density inflows into a stratified lake: Daecheong Reservoire, Korea," Environ. Modelling, 24, 1467-1482(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2009.05.016
- Vilhena, L. C., Hillmer, I. and Imberger, J., "The role of climate change in the occurrence of algal blooms : Lake Burragorang, Australia," Limnol. Oceanogr., 55(3), 1188-1200(2010). https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2010.55.3.1188
- Linden, L., Daly, R. I. and Burch, M. D., "Suitability of a coupled hydrodynamic water quality model to predict changes in water quality from altered meteorological boundary conditions," Water, 7, 348-361(2015). https://doi.org/10.3390/w7010348
- Westernhagen, N. V., Measurements and modelling of eutrophication processes in Lake Rotoiti, New Zealand, The University of Waikato(2010).
- Missaghi, S. and Hondzo, M., "Evaluation and application of a three-dimensional water quality model in a shallow lake with complex morphometry," Ecol. Modelling, 221, 1512-1525(2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2010.02.006
- Choi, M. K., Kim, B. H. and Choi, K. C., "Freshwater algae in the upstream of the Yongsan River system(1) - on the drinking water supplying area of Kwangju districts," Korean J. Sanitation, 10(1), 45-65(1995).