- Volume 37 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Development of an 1-Dimensional Dynamic Numerical Model for BTX Removal Process Analysis by Gaseous-Biofilm Filtration
기체상-생물막 여과 공법의 BTX 제거 공정 해석을 위한 1차원 동적 수치모델 개발
- Received : 2015.12.07
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
A biofilm filtration for the removal of gaseous pollutants has been recognized as a process with a complex interaction between the gas flow characteristics and the process operating variables. This study aims to develop an one dimensional dynamic numerical model which can be utilized as a tool for the analysis of biofilm filtration process operated in plug flow mode. Since, in a plug flow system, minor environmental changes in a gaseous unit process cause a drastic change in reaction and the interaction between the pollutants is an influencing factor, plug flow system was generalized in developing the model. For facilitation of the model development, dispersion was simplified based on the principles of material balance. Several reactions such as competition, escalation, and control between the pollutants were included in the model. The applicability of the developed model was evaluated by taking the calibration and verification steps on the experimental data performed for the removal of BTX at both low and high flow concentration. The model demonstrated a correlation coefficient (
Filtration;Numerical Model;Gaseous-Biofilm;BTX;Plug Flow
- Deshusses, M. A., Hamer, G. and Dunn, I. J., "Behavior of biofilters for waste air biotreatment: 1. Dynamic model development," Environ. Sci. Technol., 29(4), 1048-1058(1995). https://doi.org/10.1021/es00004a027
- Miller, D. E. and Canter, L. W., "Control of aromatic waste air streams by soil bioreactors," Environ. Prog. Sustain. Energy, 10, 300-306(1991).
- Mallakin, A. and Ward O. P., "Degradation of BTEX compounds in liquid media and in peat biofilters," J. Ind. Microbiol, 16, 309-318(1996). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01570040
- Oh, Y.-S., Choi, S.-C. and Kim, Y.-K., "Degradation of gaseous BTX by biofiltration with Phanerochaete chrysosporium," J. Microbiol., 36(1), 34-38(1998).
- Horn, H. and Lackner, S., "Modeling of biofilm systems: a review," Adv. Biochem. Eng. Biotechnol., 146, 53-76(2014).
- Kumar, T. P., Rahul, Kumar, M. A. and Chandrajit, B., "Biofiltration of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)-an overview," Res. J. Chem. Sci., 1(8), 83-92(2011).
- Hirai, M., Ohtake, M. and Shoda, M., "Removal kinetics of hydrogen sulfide, methanethiol and dimethylsulfide by peat biofilters," J. Ferment. Bioeng., 70, 334-339(1990). https://doi.org/10.1016/0922-338X(90)90145-M
- Shareefdeen, Z., Baltzis, B. C., Oh, Y.-S. and Bartha, R., "Biofiltration of methanol vapor," Biotechnol. Bioeng., 5, 512-524(1993).
- Deshusses, M. A., Hamer, G. and Dunn, I. J., "Behavior of biofilters for waste air biotreatment: 2. Experimental evaluation of a dynamic model," Environ. Sci. Technol., 29(4), 1059-1068(1995). https://doi.org/10.1021/es00004a028
- Devinny, J. S. and Ramesh, J., "A phenomenological review of biofilter models," Chem. Eng. J., 113(2-3), 187-196(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2005.03.005
- Gerrard, A. M., Havranek, J., Novak, V., Halecky, M., Jones, K., Soccol, C. R. and Paca J., "Modelling the steady state and dynamic conditions of a biotrickling filter treating styrene and acetone in air," Braz. Arch. Biol. Technol., 53(5), 1225-1234(2010). https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132010000500028
- Ranjbar, S. and Ghaemi, A., "Mathematical modeling for volatile organic compounds removal in a biofilter: Model validation and sensitivity analysis," Iran. J. Chem. Eng., 10(3), 76-87(2013).
- San-Valero, P., Penya-Roja, J. M., Álvarez-Hornos, F. J., Marzal, P. and Gabaldón, C., "Dynamic mathematical modelling of the removal of hydrophilic VOCs by biotrickling filters," Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 12(1), 746-766 (2015). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph120100746
Supported by : 한국건설기술연구원, 강원녹색환경지원센터