- Volume 48 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Growth of Young Sea Bass Lateolabrax japonicus in the Eelgrass Beds of Gamak and Yeoja Bays in Relation to Environmental Variables
가막만과 여자만의 잘피밭에 서식하는 농어(Lateolabrax japonicus) 유어의 성장 및 환경과의 관계
- Kim, Jin-Koo ;
- Ryu, Jung-Hwa ;
- Kim, Jeong Bae ;
- Lee, Won-Chan ;
- Kim, Hyung Chul ;
- Moon, Seong Yong ;
- Kim, Hee Yong
- Received : 2015.08.25
- Accepted : 2015.12.16
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study aims to reveal the relationship between growth of young sea bass and environmental variables in two adjacent eelgrass beds. Fishes were collected from Gamak Bay (GB) and Yeoja Bay (YB) on the southern coast of Korea from February 2006 to February 2007 using a dragnet (15 m in length and 3 m in width). During the study period, a total of 367 individuals of young sea bass Lateolabrax japonicus were collected from GB (171 inds.) and YB (196 inds.). Significant differences were observed in the occurrence periods and growth patterns of young sea bass, as well as in environmental variables between GB and YB. Young sea bass were collected from April to December in GB, but from April to July in YB. These differences may be associated with differences in eelgrass density, leaf width, and zooplankton density between GB and YB.
Growth;Lateolabrax japonicus;Eelgrass beds;Environmental variable
- Blaxter JHS. 1984. Ontogeny, systematics and fisheries. In: Moser HG (ed). Ontogeny and Systematics of Fishes. The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, Lawrence, USA, 7-11.
- Choi Y, Kim HS and Ryu BS. 1998. On the growth and stomach contents of young seabass, Lateolabrax japonicus in Kunsan coast, Korea. Fish Sci Res 14, 227-234.
- Deegan LA, Wright A, Ayvazian SG, Finn JT, Golden H, Merson RR and Harrison J. 2002. Nitrogen loading alters seagrass ecosystem structure and support of higher trophic levels. Aquatic Conservation: Mar Freshew Ecosyst 12, 193-212. https://doi.org/10.1002/aqc.490
- Froese R and Pauly D. Editors. 2015. FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication. www.fishbase.org, version.
- Han HK, Kang DY, Jun CY and Chang YJ. 2003. Effect of salinity change on physiological response and growth of yearling sea bass, Lateolabrax japonicus. J Aquaculture 16, 31-36.
- Hatooka K. 2013. Lateolabracidae. In: Nakabo T (ed). Fishes of Japan with pictorial keys to the species, third edition. Tokai Univ Press, Hadano, JP, 748.
- Hibino M, Ohta T, Isoda T, Nakayma K and Tanaka M. 2006. Diel and tidal changes in the distribution and feeding habits of Japanese temperate bass Lateolabrax japonicus juveniles in the surf zone of Ariake Bay. Ichthyol Res 53, 129-136. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10228-005-0318-y. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-005-0318-y
- Huh SH and An YR. 1997. Seasonal variation of shrimp (Crustacea: Decapoda) community in the eelgrass (Zostera marina) bed in Kwangyang Bay, Korea. J Korean Fish Soc 30, 532-542.
- Huh SH, Park JM, Park SC, Jeong DS, Park CI and Baeck GW. 2009. Feeding habits of Lateolabrax japonicus in the coastal waters off Dolsan-do, Yeosu. Korean J Ichthyol 21, 23-37.
- Islam S, Yamashita Y and Tanaka M. 2011. A review on the early life history and ecology of Japanese sea bass and implication for recruitment. Environ Biol Fish 91, 389-405. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10641-011-9798-y. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10641-011-9798-y
- Kang CB. 2000. Taxonomical studies on the genus Lateolabrax (Pisces, Perciformes) from the Korean waters. PhD Thesis. Pukyong Nat'l Univ, Busan, KR.
- Kang DY, Han HK and Baek HJ. 2002. Monthly gonadal and sex hormonal changes of indoor-reared seabass, Lateolabrax japonicus during annual reproductive cycle. J Korean Fish Soc 35, 614-620.
- Kang DY, Han HK and Jun CY. 2004. Influence of water temperature on growth of yearling sea bass, Lateolabrax japonicus in indoor tank. J Aquaculture 17, 240-245.
- Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CR, Lee YJ, Kim BJ and Kim JK. 2005. Illustrated Book of Korean Fishes. Gyohaksa, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim JK and Jeong SJ. 2007. Growth estimation of 0-aged blue spot mudskipper Boleophthalmus pectinirostris using length frequency data. J Korean Fish Soc 40, 50-52.
- Kim JK, Ryu JH, Kim S, Lee DW, Choi KH, Oh TY, Hwang KS, Choi JH, Kim JN, Kwun HJ, Ji HS and Oh JN. 2011. An identification guide for fish eggs, larvae and juveniles of Korea. Hanguel Graphics Pub, Busan, Korea.
- Kim SY, Bang IC, Rho YG and Kim JH. 2001. Studies on sexual maturation of spotted sea bass, Lateolabrax maculatus. J Korean Fish Soc 34, 526-535.
- KORDI (Korea Ocean Research Development Institute). 1990. Complex investigation study of the southwestern coast of Korea (II). 255 pp.
- Kwak SN, GW Baeck and SH Huh. 2006. Comparisons of fish assemblages with eelgrass bed and adjacent unvegetated habitat in Jindong Bay. Korean J Ichthyol 18, 119-128.
- Lee JH and Youn SM. 2000. Water quality and phytoplankton communities in Yeoja Bay of Korea. Algae 15, 89-98.
- Okamura O and Amaoka K. 2004. Sea fishes of Japan. Tama-kei Pub, Tokyo, Japan.
- Okiyama M. 1988. An atlas of the early stage fishes in Japan. Tokai University Press, Tokyo, Japan.
- Richards WJ. 2006. Gonostomatidae: Bristlemouths. In: Early stages of Atlantic Fishes: An Identification Guide for the Western Central North Atlantic. Richards WJ, ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, U.S.
- Russell FS. 1976. The eggs and planktonic stages of British marine fishes. Academic Press, London, U.K.
- Ryu JH, Kim JB and Kim JK. 2011. Temporal and spatial variation in fish larvae in Gamak Bay and Yeoja Bay, south sea of Korea. Fish Aqua Sci 14, 55-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0055.
- Shoji J and Tanak M. 2007. Density-dependence in post-recruit Japanese seaperch Lateolabrax japonicus in the Chikugo River, Japan. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 334, 255-262. http://dx.doi.org/10.3354/meps334255. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps334255
- Shoji J, Ohta T and Tanaka M. 2006. Effects of river flow on larval growth and survival of Japanese seaperch Lateolabrax japonicus (Pisces) in the Chikugo River estuary, upper Ariake Bay. J Fish Biol 69, 1662-1674. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2006.01235.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2006.01235.x
- Thayer GW, Bjorndal KA, Ogden JC, Williams SL and Zieman JC. 1984. Role of lager hervivores in seagrass communities. Estuaries 7, 351-376. https://doi.org/10.2307/1351619
- Fuji T, Kasai A, Ueno M and Yamashita Y. 2014. Growth and migration patterns of juvenile temperate seabass Lateolabrax japonicus in the Yura River estuary, Japan-combination of stable isotope ratio and otolith microstructure analyses. Environ Biol Fish 97, 1221-1232. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10641-013-0209-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10641-013-0209-4
- Kim JB, Ryu JH and Kim JK. 2009. Comparative analysis of fish community structure between eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) beds and an adjacent unvegetated area in southern Korea. J Fish Sci Technol 12, 60-69.
- MOMAF (Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries). 2001. Studies on establishment of acting plan for environmental management area. 275 pp.
Grant : 남해 강진만 유용어류 및 패류조사
Supported by : 국립수산과학원