- Volume 48 Issue 6
The proximate, fatty acid and dimethyl acetal (DMA) compositions of domestic and imported melania snails Semisulcospira sp. being sold commercially were studied. The protein content ranged from 8.09% (China) to 11.3% (North Korea). The lipid content ranged from 0.84 (China) to 2.36% (North Korea). Domestic melania snail had protein (10.5%) and lipid (1.02%) contents intermediate between those of the two imported melania snails. The prominent fatty acids were 16:0 and 18:0 saturated fatty acids, 16:1n-7, 20:1n-11, 18:1n-9, 18:1n-7 and 16:1n-9 monounsaturated fatty acids, and 20:4n-6, 20:5n-3 (eicosapentaenoic acid, EPA), 22:2 non-methylene-interrupted diene (NMID), 18:3n-3, 18:2n-6 and 22:5n-3 (docosapentaenoic acid, DPA) polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA). The percentage of n-3 PUFA was higher in domestic (19.6%) and North Korean (imported, 19.5%) snails than in that from China (imported, 16.8%), while the n-6 PUFA level was higher in snails from China (21.2%) and domestic snails (14.7%) than in that from North Korea (9.87%). The total DMA, i.e., 18:0 DMA, 16:0 DMA and 18:1 DMA was 7.30, 7.27, and 4.86% domestic snail and those from China and North Korea, respectively. These results suggest that melania snail is a source of n-3 PUFA, and DMA derived from plasmalogen.
DMA;Melania snail;N-3 PUFA;N-6 PUFA;Plasmalogen
- Ackman RG. 1986. WCOT (capillary) gas-liquid chromatography. In: Analysis of oils and fats. Hamilton RJ and Rossell JB, eds. Elsevier Applied Science Publishers Ltd., London and New York, UK and USA, 137-206.
- Andre A, Juaneda P, Sebedio JL and Chatdigny. 2005. Effects of aging and dietary n-3 fatty acids on rat brain phospholipids: Focus on plasmalogens. Lipids 40, 799-806. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-005-1441-x
- AOCS. 1998. AOCS official method Ce 1b-89. In: Official Methods and Recommended Practice of the AOCS (5th ed). Firestone D, ed. AOCS, Champaign, U.S.A.
- Bligh EG and Dyer WJ. 1959. A rapid method of lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol 37, 911-917. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Han X, Holtzman DM and McKeel DW. 2001. Plasmalogen deficiency in early alzheimer disease subjects and in animal models: Molecular characterization using electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. J Neurochem 77, 1168-1180. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1471-4159.2001.00332.x
- Hayashi K and Yamada M. 1975. Studies on the lipids of shellfish IV. On the fatty acid composition of five species of snails from Toyama bay. Bull Fac Fish Hokkaido Univ 26, 176-181.
- Jeong BY, Choi BD, Moon SK and Lee JS. 1998b. Fatty acid composition of 72 species of Korean fish. J Fish Sci Technol 1, 129-146.
- Jeong BY, Choi BD, Moon SK, Lee JS and Jeong WG. 1998a. Fatty acid composition of 35 species of marine invertebrates. J Fish Sci Tech 1, 232-241.
- Kim EK and Lee JS. 2009. Ultrastructural description on oogenesis of the melania snail, Semisulcospiria libertina liberitina (Gastropoda: Pleuroceridae). Korean J Malacol 25, 145-151.
- Kim YK, Lee TK and Cha YS. 1985. Studies of the nutritive component of black snail (Semisulcospiria libertina). J Agricult Life Sci 16, 101-105.
- Kown OK, Park GM and Lee JS. 1993. Coloured shells of Korea. Academy Publishing Company, Seoul, Korea.
- MOF (Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries). 2015a. Retrieved from http://www.mof.go.kr/korfish/2_up/ebook_pop.htm on Oct 1, 2015.
- MOF (Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries). 2015b. Fisheries Information Services. Retrieved from http://www.fips.go.kr/jsp/sf/ss/ss_kind_law_list.jsp?menuDepth=070104 on Oct 1. 2015
- Moon SK, Cha YJ, Kim IS, Jeong BY. 2013. Fatty acid and dimethyl acetal compositions of phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylethanolamine in the reproductive organs of common squid Todarodes pacificus. J Agricult Life Sci 47, 267-279. https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2013.47.6.267
- Moon SK, Kang JY, Kim KD, Kim IS and Jeong BY. 2005. Lipid components of the cultured pearl oyster (Pinctada fucata martensii) in Korea. J Fish Sci Technol 8, 189-194.
- Saito H. 2004. Lipid and FA composition of the pearl oyster Pinctada fucata martensii: Influence of season and maturation. Lipids 39, 997-1005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-004-1322-3
- Shim TH, Han KS, Lee TJ, Cheong EH and Lee HK. 1994. Composition of lipid and amino acid in Semisulcospiria lgorrschei tissue. Fd Hyg Safety 9, 81-87.
- Shimma Y and Taguchi H. 1964. A comparative study on fatty acid composition of shellfish. NSUGAF 30, 153-160. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.30.153
- Stansby ME. 1986. Fatty acid in fish. In: Health effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids in seafood. Simopoulos AP, Kifer RR and Martin RE eds. Academic Press, London, UK, 3879-3401.
- The Korea Fisheries Times. 2014. Retrieved from http//www.fisheriesnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=29980 on Oct 1, 2015.
- Urabe M. 1998. Diel change of activity and movement on natural river beds in Semisulcospira reiniana. Venus 57, 17-27.
- Weisser M, Vieth M, Stolte M, Riederer P, Pfeuffer R. Leblhuber, F and Spiteller G. 1997. Dramatic increase of alphahydroxyaldehydes derived from plasmalogens in the aged human brain. Chem Phys Lipids 90, 135-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-3084(97)00089-3
- Lim CW, Kim YK, Kim DH, Park JI, Lee MH, Park HY and Jang MS. 2009. Comparison of quality characteristics of melania snails in Korea. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 42, 555-560. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2009.0555. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2009.42.6.555
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 경상대학교발전기금재단