- Volume 48 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Feeding Habits of Javelin Goby Synechogobius hasta on Tide Flat in Sangnae-ri Suncheon, Korea
순천 상내리 갯벌역에 출현하는 풀망둑(Synechogobius hasta)의 식성
Park, Jong Hyeok;Jeong, Jae Mook;Kim, Hyeon Ji;Ye, Sang Jin;Baeck, Gun Wook
- Received : 2015.05.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.21
- Published : 2015.12.31
During the study period, a total of 158 individuals of Synechogobius hasta were collected. The range of body length (BL) was 15.4-44.5 cm. The stomachs of 26.6% of the individuals were empty. The most abundant prey was shrimp. Among shrimp, Exopalaemon orientis was the most abundant species, being present in 27% in %IRI (index of relative importance). Fishes and crabs were also abundant prey. Analysis of ontogenetic changes, suggested that shrimp were the main prey of S. hasta of two size classes (<20 and 20-25 cm). The proportion of shrimp decreased, but that of fishes and crabs increased, with increasing body length, beginning at the 25-30 cm size class. In spring, fishes were the dominant prey, while shrimps, and crabs and fishes dominated in autumn and winter, respectively.
Synechogobius hasta;Feeding habits;Stomach contents;Ontogenetic change
- Baeck GW, Park CI, Jeong JM, Kim MC, Huh SH and Park JM. 2010. Feeding habits of Chaenogobius gulusus in the coastal waters of Tongyeong, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 22, 41-48.
- Choi Y, Kim IS, Ryu BS and Park JY. 1996. Ecology of Synechogobius hasta (Pisces : Gobiidae) in the Kum River Estuary, Korea. J Kor Fish Soc 29, 115-123.
- Ferry LA and Cailliet GM. 1996. Sample size and data analysis: are we characterizing and comparing diet properly. In: MacKinlay, D. and K. Sheare (eds.), Feeding Ecology and Nutrition in Fish, Symp. Proc., American Fisheries Society. San Francisco, CA, 71-80.
- Hong SY, Park KY, Park CW, Han CH, Suh HL, Yun SG, Song CB, Jo SG, Lim HS, Kang YS, Kim DJ, Ma CW, Son MH, Cha HK, Kim KB, Choi SD, Park KY, Oh CW, Kim DN, Shon HS, Kim JN, Choi JH, Kim MN and Choi IY. 2006. Mairne Invertebrates in Korean Coasts. Academybook, 328-329.
- Huh SH and Kwak SN. 1998. Feeding habits of Acentrogobius pflaumii in the eelgrass (Zostera marina) bed in Kwangyang Bay. Korean J Ichthyol 10, 24-31.
- Huh SH and Kwak SN. 1999. Feeding habits of Acanthogobius flavimanus in the eelgrass (Zostera marina) bed in Kwangyang Bay. J Kor Fish Soc 32, 10-17.
- Jeong MK. 1977. The Fishes of Korea. Iljisa, Seoul, Korea, 486.
- Kikuchi T and Yamashita Y. 1992. Seasonal occurrence of gobiid fish and their food habits in a small mud flat in Amakusa. Bubl Amakusa Mar Biol Lab 11, 73-93.
- Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CR, Lee YJ, Kim BJ and Kim JH. 2005. Illustrated Book of Korean Fishes. Kyohaksa, Seoul, Korea, 420-443.
- Kuno Y and Takita T. 1997. The growth, maturation and feeding habits of the gobiid fish Acanthogobius hasta distributed in Ariake sound, Kyushu, Japan. Fish Sci 63, 242-248. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.63.242
- Luo Z, Li X, Bai H, and Gong S. 2008. Effects of dietary fatty acid composition on muscle composition and hepatic fatty acid profile in juvenile Synechogobius hasta. J Appl Ichthyol 24, 116-119.
- Luo Z, Li XD, Gong SY, and Xi WQ. 2009. Apparent digestibility coefficients of four feed ingredients for Synechogobius hasta. Aquaculture Res 40, 558-565. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2008.02131.x
- Paik EI. 1969. A Study on the food of the goby, Synechogobius hasta. Bull. Korean Fish Soc 2, 47-62.
- Paik EI. 1970. Length-weight relationship of Synechogobius hasta. Bull Korean Fish Soc 3, 117-119.
- Pinkas L, Oliphant MS and Iverson ILK. 1971. Food habits of albacore, bluefin tuna and bonito in California waters. Fish Bull 152, 1-105.
- Seo IS and Hong JS. 2006. Feeding ecology of Javelin goby (Acanthogobius hasta) and fine spot goby (Chaeturichtys stigmatias) in the Jangbong tidal flat, Incheon, Korea. J Kor Fish Soc 39, 165-179.
- Seo IS and Hong JS. 2010. Seasonal variation of fish assemblages on Jangbong tidal flat, Incheon, Korea. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 43, 510-520. http://dx.doi.org/10.5667/kfas.2010.43.5.510. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2010.43.5.510
- Sim GS and Lee CR. 1999. Fish fauna of the Saemankum area, Chollabuk-do. Korean J Environ Biol 17, 293-303.
- Ye SJ, Jeong JM, Kim HJ, Park JM, Huh SH and Baeck GW. 2014. Fish assemblage in the tidal creek of Sangnae-ri Suncheon, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 26, 74-80.
Supported by : 한국연구재단