- Volume 19 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Design and Analysis of Decimation Filers with Minimal Distortion for a High Speed High Performance Sigma-Delta ADC
고속 고성능 시그마-델타 ADC를 위한 최소왜곡 데시메이션 필터의 설계 및 분석
- Kang, Ho-jin (Department of Electronic Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Hyung-won (Department of Electronic Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2015.10.02
- Accepted : 2015.11.09
- Published : 2015.11.30
While the oversampling sigma-delta ADCs are known to have high resolution, they often suffer from SNDR losses when operated at a very high data clock. This paper presents a design and implementation of a decimation filter that provides minimum distortion at passband for high-speed sigma-delta ADC. The proposed digital decimation filter employs a butterworth structure. To evaluate the performance of the proposed decimation filter, we implemented a 1-bit, third-order, OSR=64 sigma-delta modulator followed by the proposed decimation filter. Using the simulation ad measurement, we compared the performance of the proposed decimation filter with a conventional CIC(cascaded integrator comb) decimation filter, which is commonly used in most sigma-delta ADCs. The measurement results show that the proposed decimation filter presents substantially lower distortion at passband and thus can provide must higher SNDR.
Supported by : Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning
- E. B. Hogenauer, "An Economical class of Digital Filters for Decimation and Interpolation," IEEE Trans., Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing, vol. ASSP -29, No. 2, pp. 155-162, April. 1981.
- Jose M. de la Rosa, Rocio del Rio, "CMOS Sigma-Delta Converters," Wiley - IEEEPress, pp. 334-354, 2013.
- J. Candy, "Decimation for sigma delta modulation," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. COM-34, pp. 72-76, January 1986.
- Erer, K. S., "Adaptive Usage of the Butterworth Digital Filter," Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 40, No. 13, pp. 2937 - 2943, April. 2007.
- A. V. Oppenheim and R. W. Schafer, "Digital Signal Processing", PrenticeHall, 1975.
- R. M. Hewlitt, E. S. Swartzlander Jr., "Canonical signed digit representation for digital filters", IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Systems, SiPS 2000, pp.416-426, Oct. 2000.
- Un-yong Jang, HyungWon Kim, "Frequency Division Concurrent Sensing Method for High-Speed Detection of Large Touch Screens," Journal of KIICE, Vol19, No. 4, pp. 895-902, April. 2015.