- Volume 19 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
An IoT Patent Trend Analysis for Technological Convergence on Hyper Connected Society
초연결시대 기술융합을 위한 사물 인터넷 기술의 특허동향 분석
- Rho, Seungmin (Department of Multimedia, Sungkyul University)
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2015.11.30
Internet of Things (IoT) is possibly the most widely discussed technological concept in today's technology circles. This technology is expected to dramatically change not only how we work but also how we live. The concept of IoT basically means a web of connected devices which can be controlled over a data network. With cost of technology required to control these devices going down and increasing internet connectivity through smartphones, IoT is expected to be an all pervasive technology in the next 10 years. In this paper, we study the technological landscape of this fast growing technology domain from an Intellectual Property (Patents) perspective. We find that the patent distribution in this domain is very fragmented with the top patent applicants in the field holding around 5% of the total patents. Especially, the US geography has seen the maximum patent filings and is closely followed by the big Asian markets of Japan and Korea.
- NIPA, "International ICT R & D policy trends - The main trend of Internet of Things industry", 2013.
- M.J. Woo, "Internet of things", http://www.ilovepc.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=hardware&wr_id=3039.
- Gartner report, http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2819918.
- W.K. Jang, S.H Lee, "The domestic policy of IoT, market trends and its key service applications", http://www.kcaresearch.kr/upload/webzine/pdf/2_20130627102967.pdf.
- D.Y. Joo, J.K Kim," The creative fusion and activation plan for IoT on Hyper connected society https://www.google.co.kr/url?url=https://www.kiet.re.kr/part/sDownload.jsp%3Fs_idx%3D38039&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=SV_8VLX-DaXsmAXH_IGABg&ved=0CCUQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNFtFUrxZMqtfYv4MCLS98rGVAjC3w.
- Wintelips, www.wintelips.com.
- Kipris, www.kipris.or.kr.