- Volume 19 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Indoor Location-based Emergency Call Service System for Ships using VLC Technology
가시광통신을 이용한 선박 내 위치 기반 응급호출 시스템
Hong, Seung-Beom;Lee, Kyou-Ho
- Received : 2015.10.19
- Accepted : 2015.11.16
- Published : 2015.12.31
Due to metallicity of materials, a vessel has a limitation to adopt RF-based wireless communication technologies for the inner communication means. Visible Light Communication(VLC) can be a sound alternative to dissolve such a limitation. Using a visual light as a transmission medium, VLC is free from radio interferences and restriction of radio usages which are typically related to RF-based wireless communications. In addition, VLC can not only require the facility cost relatively low because of being possibly converged with existing LED illumination, but also be harmless to the human body. This paper proposes an indoor location-based emergency call service system solution for ships using the VLC technology that supports 256Kbps data rate and 5m transmission distance. This paper presents real implementation and testing results of the solution which verifies the propriety of the proposal.
VLC;Communications in vessel;Emergency call;Location-based;LED
- J. G. Park, M. A. Jung, S. H. Yoon, and S. R. Lee, "System Design for Location Determination Inside the Ship," THE Journal of Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences (J-KICS), vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 181-188, Feb. 2013.
- B. G. Baik, S. R. Cho, B. J. Park, I. S. Cho, D. G. Lee, J. H. Yoon, and B. D. Bae, "Experimental Tests on the Wireless Sensor Network and the Power-line Communication in a Real Ship and Laboratory," Journal of Ship and Ocean Technology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 329-336, June 2008.
- J. H. Sung, T. W. Lim, J. S. Kim, S. G. Park, and D. H. Seo, "An improvement algorithm for localization using adjacent node and distance variation analysis techniques in a ship," Journal of Marine Engineering, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 213-219, March 2013.
- J. P. Kim and Y. C. Bae, "A Study on Invigoration of Use of Visual Light Communication," Proceedings of Spring Conference on Electronic Communication Science, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 242-247, May 2010.
- J. H. Hwang, Y. S. Kim, and M. S. Yoo, "Trends of LBS and Location Measurement Technologies using VLC," Information and Communications Magazine, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 61-68, Nov. 2011.
- I. Y. Gong and H. J. Kim, "Experiments and its analysis on the Identification of Indoor Location by Visible Light Communication using LED lights," Journal ofJournal of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1045-1052, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2011.15.5.1045
- G. R. Son, "Implementation of CAN-based Visible LED Communication Systems," Journal of Marine Engineering, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 102-107, Jan. 2011.
- Y. H. Yoo, "Domestic Technological Trends in Standardized Ship Network," TTA Journal, vol. 133, pp. 116-121, Jan./Feb. 2011.
- S. B. Hong and K. H. Lee, "Design and Implementation of Rx Noise Filters for Expanding VLC Distance," Proceedings of the 35th Spring Conference of KIICE, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 483-486 , May 2014.
- M. Soltero, J. Zhang, C. Cockril, K. Zhang, C. Kinnaird, and T. Kugelstadt, RS-422 and RS-485 Standards Overview and System Configurations, Application Report, 2002.
Supported by : Small and Medium Business Administration