- Volume 19 Issue 12
Internet worms have been the major Internet threats may disclose important information and can bring about faults of computer systems, which spread with the fastest speed among malicious codes. Simultaneously spreading multiple worms and its variants are revealing the limitation of conventional responses based on single worms. In order to defend them effectively, it is necessary to study how multiple worms propagate and what factors affect worm spreading. In this paper, we improve the existed single worm spreading models and try to describe the correct spreads of multiple worms. Thus we analyze the spreading effects of multiple worms and its variants by various experiments.
Internet worm;Worm variants;Propagation modeling;Worm spreading;Multiple worm spreading
- N. Weaver, V. Paxson, S. Staniford, and R. Cunningham, "A taxonomy of computer worms," in Proceeding 2003 ACM workshop on Rapid malcode, New York, pp.11-18, 2003.
- Herbert W. Hethcote, "The Mathematics of Infectious Diseases," SIAM Review, vol. 42, no. 4, pp.599-653, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1137/S0036144500371907
- James D. Murray, Mathematical Biology: I. An Introduction, Third Edition, New York, Springer, 2001.
- Yini Wang, Sheng Wen, Yang Xiang, and Wanlei Zhou, "Modeling the Propagation of Worms in Networks: A Survey," IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 942-960, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2013.100913.00195
- Cliff C. Zou, Don Towsley and Weibo Gong, "On the Performance of Internet Worm Scanning Strategies," Elsevier Journal of Performance Evaluation, vol. 63, no. 7, pp.700-723, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peva.2005.07.032
- Cliff C. Zou, Weibo Gong and Don Towsley. "Code Red Worm Propagation Modeling and Analysis," in Proceeding 9th ACM Conference on Computer and Communication Security, pp.138-147, New York, USA, 2002.
- Possible CodeRed Connection Attempts [Internet]. Available: http://lists.jammed.com/incidents/2001/07/0149.html
- Re: Possible CodeRed Connection Attempts [Internet]. Available: http://lists.jammed.com/incidents/2001/07/0159.html
- Weon Shin, "Propagation Modeling of Multiple Internet Worm Variants," Journal of Security Engineering, vol. 12, no. 3, pp.247-258, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14257/jse.2015.06.04
- Sounak Paul and Bimal Kumar Mishra, "Survey of Polymorphic Worm Signatures," International Journal of uand e- Service, Science and Technology, vol.7, no.3, pp.129-150, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14257/ijunesst.2014.7.5.12
- Akamai, (Q1 2015), The State of the Internet, 2015 Report, vol. 8, no. 1, Available: https://www.stateoftheinternet.com/resources-web-security-2015-q1-internet-security-report.html
- Kelly Burton, The Conficker Worm [Internet]. Available: https://www.sans.org/security-resources/malwarefaq/conficker-worm.php
- David Kushner, The Real Story of Stuxnet [Internet]. Available: http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/security/the-real- story-of-stuxnet