- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study of the Cochlea-inspired Artificial Filter Bank(CAFB) for Compressed Sensing
압축센싱을 위한 달팽이관 원리기반 인공필터뱅크의 실험적 검증
Heo, Gwanghee;Jeon, Joonryong;Jeon, Seunggon
- Received : 2015.10.16
- Accepted : 2015.11.16
- Published : 2015.11.20
In this paper, a cochlea-inspired artificial filter bank(CAFB) was developed in order to efficiently acquire dynamic response of structure, and it was also evaluated via dynamic response experiments. To sort out signals containing significant modal information from all the dynamic responses of structure, it was made to adopt a band-pass filter optimizing algorithm(BOA) and a peak-picking algorithm (PPA). Optimally designed on the basis of El-centro and Kobe earthquake signals, it was then embedded into the wireless multi-measurement system(WiMMS). In order to evaluate the performance of the developed CAFB, a vibration test was conducted using the El-centro and Kobe earthquake signals, and structural responses of a two-span bridge were obtained and analyzed simultaneously by both a wired measurement system and a CAFB-based WiMMS. The test results showed that the compressed dynamic responses acquired by the CAFB-based WiMMS matched with those of the wired system, and they included significant modal information of the two-span bridge. Therefore this study showed that the developed CAFB could be used as a new, economic, and efficient measurement device for wireless sensor networks(WSNs) based real time structural health monitoring because it could reconstruct the whole dynamic response using the compressed dynamic response with significant modal information.
Structural Health Monitoring;Cochlea-inspired Artificial Filter Bank;Band-pass Filter Optimizing Algorithm;Peak-picking Algorithm;Wireless Multi-measurement System;Compressed Sensing
- Sohn, H., Farrar, R., Hemez, H. and Czarnecki, J., 2002, A Review of Structural Health Monitoring Literature: 1996-2001, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Wong, K. Y., 2004, Instrumentation and Health Monitoring of Cable-supported Bridge, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 91-124. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.33
- Abe, M. and Fujino, Y., 2009, Bridge Monitoring in Japan, Encyclopedia of Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 5, John Wiley and Sons.
- Koh, H. M., Lee, H. S., Kim, S. and Choo, J. F., 2009, Monitoring of Bridge in Korea, Encyclopedia of Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 5, John Wiley and Sons.
- Aktan, A. E., Catbas, F. N., Grimmelsman, K. A. and Pervizpour, M., 2003, Development of a Model Health Monitoring Guide for Major Bridges, Drexel Intelligent Infrastructure and Transportation Safety Institute.
- Peeters, B., Couvreur, G., Razinkov, O. and Kundig, C., 2003, Continuous Monitoring of the Oresund Bridge: System and Data Analysis, in Proceedings of IMAC 21, International Modal Analysis Conference, Kissimmee, Florida, USA.
- Ko, J. M. and Ni, Y. Q., 2005, Technology Developments in Structural Health Monitoring of Large-scale Bridges, Engineering Structures, Vol. 27, No. 12, pp. 1715-1725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.021
- Heo, G. and Jeon, J., 2009, A Smart Monitoring System Based on Ubiquitous Computing Technique for Infra-structural System : Centering on Identification of Dynamic Characteristics of Self-anchored Suspension Bridge, J. Civil Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 333-337.
- Lynch, P. J., 2007, An Overview of Wireless Structural Health Monitoring for Civil Structures, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, Vol. 365, No. 1851, pp. 345-372. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2006.1932
- Peckens, C. A. and Lynch, J. P., 2013, Utilizing the Cochlea as a Bio-inspired Compressive Sensing Technique, Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22, No. 10, pp. 105027. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/10/105027
- Peckens, C. A., Lynch, J. P. and Heo, G., 2015, Resource-efficient Wireless Sensor Network Architecture Based on Bio-mimicry of the Mammalian auditory System, Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 79-100. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X14521877
- Jang, S., Jo, H., Cho, S., Mechitov, K., Rice, J. A., Sim, S.-H., Jung, H.-J., Yun, C. B., Spencer, B. F. Jr. and Agha, G., 2010, Structural Health Monitoring of a Cable-stayed Bridge using Smart Sensor Technology: Deployment and Evaluation, Smart Structures and System, Vol. 6, No. 5-6, pp. 439-459. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.5_6.439
- Ko, J. M. and Ni, Y. Q., 2003, Structural Health Monitoring and Intelligent Vibration Control of Cable-supported Bridge: Research and Application, KSEC Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 701-716. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02829139
- Lee, S. J., Kim, S. B., Choi, K. Y. and Lee, T. Y., 2007, Adaptation of Modal Parameter and Elastic Modulus Estimation Method of PSC Bridge Based on Ambient Vibration, Proceedings of the KSNVE Annual Autumn Conference, pp. 574-577.
- Lee, K. W., Jung, S. H. and Park, E. Y., 2008, Railway Structure Health Monitoring Using Innovative Sensing Technologies, Proceedings of the KSNVE Annual Spring Conference, pp. 762-767.
- Kim, D. K., Kim, J. I. and Kim, D. H., 2001, Instrumentation and Structural Health Monitoring of Bridges, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 108-122.
Supported by : 한국연구재단