- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Adolescents' Mental Health between Multicultural Family and Monocultural Family in Korea
다문화 가정과 한국 가정 청소년의 정신 건강 비교
- Kim, Jung-Min ;
- Kong, Bo-Geum ;
- Kang, Je-Wook ;
- Moon, Jung-Joon ;
- Jeon, Dong-Wook ;
- Kang, Eun-Chan ;
- Ju, Hyun-Bin ;
- Lee, Yoon-Ho ;
- Jung, Do-Un
- Received : 2015.10.04
- Accepted : 2015.10.10
- Published : 2015.12.31
Objectives : With the observation of factors influencing depression, self-reported happiness, self-reported stress and suicidal attempt, this study compared and evaluated the mental health of adolescents from multicultural families and monocultural families in Korea. Methods : This study compared the characteristics of adolescents from multicultural and monocultural families based on the analysis of data of The Tenth Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey and analyzed the factors influencing adolescent depression, self-reported happiness, self-reported stress and suicidal attempt. Results : There was no significant difference in the levels of depression, self-reported happiness, and self-reported stress between adolescents from multicultural and monocultural families. However, suicidal ideation and suicidal attempt were significantly higher in adolescents from multicultural families. Conclusion : There was no significant difference between the mental health of adolescents from multicultural and monocultural families. Because depression is the greatest factor for suicidal attempt, and violence has stronger relationship with depression of adolescents from multicultural families, further study is needed to prevent this trend.
Multicultural Family;Adolescents;Mental Health;Depression;Suicide
- Ministry of the Interior. Statistics on foreign residents by local governments in 2015. Seoul: Ministry of the Interior;2015.
- Ministry of Education. Statistics of children of multicultural families in Korea. Sejong: Ministry of Education;2014.
- Choi YE, Kang YJ, Lee HR. Major health related problems among adolescents in Seoul area. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2000;21:175-185.
- Kim SG. A study on influencing factors on self-esteem of multi-cultural families children in Korea. Korean J Youth Stud 2012;19:109-128.
- Munroe-Blum H, Boyle MH, Offord DR, Kates N. Immigrant children: psychiatric disorder, school performance, and service utilization. Am J Orthopsychiatry 1989;59:510-519. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.1989.tb02740.x
- Kirmayer LJ, Narasiah L, Munoz M, Rashid M, Ryder AG, Guzder J, et al. Common mental health problems in immigrants and refugees: general approach in primary care. CMAJ 2011;183:E959-E967. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.090292
- Byun EJ, Sim HS. Effect of ego-resilience and family support on multi-cultural primary school student' school adjustment. Korean J Couns 2010;11:1753-1765. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.11.4.201012.1753
- An HJ. A study on school adjustment and mental health in elementary school children from multicultural families in a rural city. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2008;17:383-391.
- Kim YS, Shin CK, Kim HJ. The Effects of the potential abilities and personal relationships of multicultural families students on their adjustment to school: the case of elementary students in Gyeonggi province. J Elementary Educ 2012;25:161-185.
- Yoo BN, Park KO, Choi JY. Association between self-esteem and health behavior of the children with multi-cultural family background. J Korean Soc Sch Health Educ 2010;11:41-55.
- Ahn KS. A plan of multicultural adolescent's healthy upbringing. Korean J Youth Stud 2009;16:99-126.
- Yoo IY, Lee JA. Subjective health status and happiness of adolescents in multi-cultural family environments. J Korean Soc Living Environ Sys 2013;20:699-707.
- Kim HS, Han JS. A study on the sorts and causes of teenagers' problem behaviors from multicultural families at a multicultural alternative school. J Future Educ 2014;4:61-83.
- Park JI. A study on the traits of the multicultural families delinquent juveniles under the protective disposition - focusing on the comparation of environmental system factors between multicultural families delinquent juveniles and homogeneous -. Korean J Probat 2014;14: 209-270.
- Park GY, Che YR, Kim BR. The analysis of risk factors influencing adolescent suicidal ideation in a multicultural family-based on the 2012 Korean youth health risk behavior on-line survey. Korean J Health Serv Manage 2013;7:155-165. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.1.155
- Lee SH, Lee SH. Children's mental health in multicultural family and North Korean defectors in South Korea. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2013;24:124-131. https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2013.24.3.124
- Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The tenth Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. Cheongju: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;2014.
- Baek HJ, Kil EB, Yoon IJ, Lee YR. A study on psychological adaptation of North Korean adolescent refugees in South Korea. Stud Korean Youth 2007;18:183-211.
- Jung CS. How study stress of high school seniors affects their mental health: validation of mediation effect of self-control. J Youth Res 2011;18:1-18.
- Kang MH, Lee SY. The mediating effects of hope and ego-resilience on the relationship between adolescents' academic stress and psychological well-being. Korean J Youth Stud 2013;20:265-293.
- Kim HS. The longitudinal mediation effects of self-esteem in the influence of academic stress to adolescents' depression. Korean J Youth Stud 2014;21:409-437.
- Lee J, Kang J, Rhie S, Chae KY. Impact of sleep duration on emotional status in adolescents. J Korean Child Neurol Soc 2013;21:100-110.
- Oh SY, Kim HB. A study on the cause and strategies of the schoolviolence to the children of multi-cultural families. Korean Crim Psychol Rev 2013;9:71-95.
- Sohn BD. Adolescent's depression and delinquent aggressive behavior : the effects of domestic violence and perceiving meaning of life. J Korean Counc Child Rights 2008;12:449-471.
- Lee HB. The influence of domestic violence and child abuse internalization and externalization in multicultural families child. J Welf Couns Educ 2014;3:55-79.
- Park JS, Moon JW. Factors affecting suicidal ideation of the middle and high school students in Korea. Health Soc Sci 2010;27:105-131.
- Park HJ. Effect of sleep duration on suicidal ideation in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Sch Health 2015;28:1-9. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.1.1
- Park HS, Yu JH, Park BY. The relationship b etween s tress and suicidal ideation among the Korean multi-cultural family adolescents. J Korea Inst Electron Commun Sci 2013;8:771-777. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2013.8.5.771
- Lee JH. Association between victimization and depression, suicidal ideation among adolescence from multi-cultural families : analyses of 2012 Korean youth risk behavior survey. Seoul: The Catholic Univ.;2014.
- Kim HS, Kim DS. Adolescents of multi-cultural families and differential risks of suicidal behaviors. Korean J Sociol 2014;48:35-66. https://doi.org/10.21562/kjs.2014.04.48.2.35