- Volume 64 Issue 12
Small islands are quite adequate places where microgrid system with renewable sources can replace diesel engines as operation costs of diesel engine in most small islands are very high. To get the large amount of renewable energy, the microgrid system has very large capacity of renewable sources. The system with large capacity of renewable sources can meet the case when supplied energy is greater than the load and the fluctuation of source output is very large. The battery energy storage system can be a solution to stabilize the system with large capacity of renewable sources. In this case, BESS can be utilized as a master source for the synchronous operation of all sources including diesel engine, wind turbine and PV. The diesel generators can be used as a backup in case the BESS SOC goes below a certain level. In this paper, we suggest a novel unit commitment of diesel generators and operation schedule of pump for water supply service with the information of wind forecast, PV forecast, and load forecast. The proposed methods has been implemented and tested at the test bed in Gasa-Island.
BESS;Microgrid EMS;Renewable energy;SOC recovery
- L. Freris, and D. Infield, "Renewable Energy in Power Systems", WILEY, 2007.
- R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and P. Rodriguez, "Grid Converters for Photovoltaic and Wind Power Systems", WILEY, 2010.
- Z. Lubosny, "Wind Turbine Operation in Electric Power Systems", Springer, 2003.
- M. R. Patel, "Wind and Solar Power Systems-Design, Analysis, and Operation-Second Edition", Taylor & Francis, 2005.
- M. G. Simoes, and F. A. Farret, "Renewable Energy Systems-Design and Analysis with Induction Generators", CRC Press, 2004.
- F. P. Sioshansi, "Smart Grid-Integrating Renewable, Distributed, & Efficient Energy", Academic Press, 2011.
- A. Yazdani, and R. Iravani, "Voltage-Sourced Converters in Power Systems-Modeling, Control, and Applications", WILEY/IEEE Press, 2009.
- P. E. Gill, W. Murray, and M. H. Wright, "Practical Optimization", Academic Press, INC., 1981.
- C. A. Gross, "Power System Analysis-Second Edition", WILEY, 1986.