- Volume 64 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Seamless Transfer Method of BESS Connected by Engine Generator
엔진발전기와 연계된 BESS의 무순단 모드 전환 기법
- Shin, Eun-Suk (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Jun (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Kim, Kyo-Min (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Yu, Seung-Yeong (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Han, Byung-Moon (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University)
- Received : 2015.08.03
- Accepted : 2015.11.23
- Published : 2015.12.01
In remote islands PV (Photo Voltaic) panel with BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) supplies electric power to the customers in parallel operation with EG (Engine Generator) to save fuel consumption and to mitigate environmental load. BESS operates in voltage control mode when it supplies power to the load alone, while it operates in current control mode when it supplies power to the load in parallel with EG. This paper proposes a smooth mode change scheme from current control to voltage control of BESS by adding proper initial value to the integral part of voltage control, and a smooth mode change scheme from voltage control to current control by tracking the EG output voltage to the BESS output voltage using PLL (Phase-Locked Loop). The feasibility of proposed schemes was verified through computer simulations with PSCAD/EMTDC, and the feasibility of actual hardware system was verified by experiments with scaled prototype. It was confirmed that the proposed schemes offer a seamless operation in the stand-alone power system in remote islands.
BESS(Battery energy storage system);Stand-alone;PLL synchronization;Seamless transfer
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- K. S. Paprika, M. Ozdemir and M. T. Aydemir "Active and reactive power sharing and frequency restoration in a distributed power system consisting of two UPS units," Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 31, pp. 220-226, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2009.01.006
- T. Thanh-Vu, C. Tae-Won, L. Hong-Hee, K. Heung-Geun, and N. Eui-Cheol, "PLL-Based Seamless Transfer Control Between Grid-Connected and Islanding Modes in Grid-Connected Inverters," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactionss on, vol. 29, pp. 5218-5228, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2290059
- Lin, Ming-Chuan; Lu, Lin-Yu; Chu, Chia-Chi, "Implementations of seamless transfer and active islanding detections for microgrid applications," Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 2013 IEEE International Symposium on, vol. no. pp.1-6, 28-31 May 2013.
- Balaguer, I.J.; Qin Lei; Shuitao Yang; Supatti, U.; Fang Zheng Peng, "Control for Grid-Connected and Intentional Islanding Operations of Distributed Power Generation," in Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.58, no.1, pp.147-157, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049709
- Hyosung Kim; Taesik Yu; Sewan Choi, "Indirect Current Control Algorithm for Utility Interactive Inverters in Distributed Generation Systems," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.23, no.3, pp.1342-1347, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.920879
- Sunjae Yoon; Junbum Kwon; Junsung Park; Sewan Choi, "Indirect current control for seamless transfer of three-phase utility interactive inverters," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2011 Twenty-Sixth Annual IEEE, vol. no. pp.625-632, 6-11 March 2011.
- Sunjae Yoon; Hyeongmin Oh; Sewan Choi, "Controller Design and Implementation of Indirect Current Control Based Utility-Interactive Inverter System," in Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.28, no.1, pp.26-30, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2210247
- Zhilei Yao; Lan Xiao; Yangguang Yan, "Seamless Transfer of Single-Phase Grid-Interactive Inverters Between Grid-Connected and Stand-Alone Modes," in Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.25, no.6, pp.1597-1603, June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2039357
- Tirumala, R.; Mohan, N.; Henze, C., "Seamless transfer of grid-connected PWM inverters between utilityinteractive and stand-alone modes," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2002. APEC 2002. Seventeenth Annual IEEE, vol.2, no., pp.1081-1086 vol.2, 2002.
- Sangmin Jung; Youngsang Bae; Sewan Choi; Hyosung Kim, "A Low Cost Utility Interactive Inverter for Residential Fuel Cell Generation," in Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.22, no.6, pp.2293-2298, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.909191
- Qing-Chang Zhong; Hornik, T., "Cascaded Current-Voltage Control to Improve the Power Quality for a Grid-Connected Inverter With a Local Load," in Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.60, no.4, pp.1344-1355, April 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2187415
- Mohamed, Y.A.-R.I.; Radwan, A.A., "Hierarchical Control System for Robust Microgrid Operation and Seamless Mode Transfer in Active Distribution Systems," in Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on, vol.2, no.2, pp.352-362, June 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2136362
- De Brabandere, K..; Bolsens, Bruno; Van den Keybus, J.; Woyte, A.; Driesen, J.; Belmans, R. "A Voltage and Frequency Droop Control Method for Parallel Inverters," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol.22, no.4, pp.1107-1115, July 2007 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.900456
- Qin Lei; Shuitao Yang; Peng, F.Z., "Multi-loop control algorithms for seamless transition of grid-connected inverter," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2010 Twenty-Fifth Annual IEEE, vol. no. pp.844-848, 21-25 Feb. 2010.
- Ochs, D.S.; Mirafzal, B.; Sotoodeh, P. "A Method of Seamless Transitions Between Grid-Tied and Stand-Alone Modes of Operation for Utility-Interactive Three-Phase Inverters," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol.50, no.3, pp. 1934-1941, May-June 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2282761
- Liserre, M.; Blaabjerg, F.; Hansen, S., "Design and control of an LCL-filter-based three-phase active rectifier," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol.41, no.5, pp.1281-1291, Sept-Oct. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.853373