- Volume 64 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Analysis on Applicability of LTE-R in Urban Railway Tunnel Environment
LTE-R의 도시철도 터널 환경 적용성 분석
- Received : 2015.09.21
- Accepted : 2015.11.23
- Published : 2015.12.01
Unlike commercial LTE network, LTE-R railway network is arranged along a railroad track and the base stations of the network (RUs) are also installed on the waysides. For urban railway systems that are composed of underground tunnels, the leakage coaxial cables are widely used due to the radio propagation characteristics in tunnels. In theory, the tunnel sections are interpreted as the waveguide with blank spaces and for this reason, the tunnel sections are expected to be better than open ground sections in terms of the radio propagation characteristics. In this paper, we analyze the radio propagation characteristics based on this theory by replacing the leakage coaxial cables in the network with Yagi antennas. The test has been carried out in the 2.2km tunnel in the Daebul test track of KORAIL with 2.6GHz LTE-R Network. The LTE-R applicability in urban railways has been tested through the analysis on the radio propagation characteristics with the unmanned train operation system in Daebul tunnel.
Electrical railway;Train control system;LTE-R;Wireless network;Railway communication
- J.Y. Choi, K.H. Kim, Y.K. Kim, S.H. Kim, Y.S. Choi, "Review of Domestic and Foreign Integrated Wireless Network for Railways", 2012 Spring conference of the korean society for railway, Mokpo, korea, pp. 1320-1324, 2012.
- Y.K. Kim, K.H. Kim, D.K. Park, "A Study on the Problem Analyses and Improvement Plan for the Korean Railways Communication Networks", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol 16, No 6, pp. 534-539, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.6.534
- D.K. Park, S.Y. Lee, B.S Yoon, Y.K. Kim, "Proposal of Wireless Communication Method and Candidate Frequency Band for Constructing the Integrated Radio Networks for Railroads", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol 16, No 6, pp. 510-518, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.6.510
- M.W. Jeong, H.G. Yoon, D.K. Park, K.H. Kim, S.J. Lee, "Bandwidth requirement estimation method for future wireless railway communication systems", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol 16, No 6, pp. 540-550, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.6.540
- K.H. Kim, Y.K. Kim, Y.K. Yoon, E.K. Chae, "A Study on the Utilization Plans of Integrated Wireless Network for Railways", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol 16, No 5, pp. 20-26, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.1.020
- Y.S. Song, Y.K. Kim, B.K. Shim, A.R. Jo, "Development mobile system based on LTE in railway", 2013 KICS autumn conference 2003, Seoul, Korea, pp. 139-140, 2013.10.
- W.H. Kwak, Y.K. Kim, "Optimization of LTE-R network using 2.6GHz test frequency in Daebul test line", The transactions of the Korean institute of electrical engineers, Vol 64, No 9, pp. 1398-1405, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2015.64.9.1398
- Y.S. song, Y.K. Kim, W.S. Jeong, Y.H. Jo, "Development of smart railway antenna using LTE-R", 2013 Conference on information and control systems, Boryoung, Korea, pp. 442-443, 2013.
- J.Y. Choi, "A study on the optimization of antenna installation for national railroad wireless communication network(LTE-R)", Ph.D thesis, WooSong University, 2014.
- Y.K. Kim, "Report of Standard system and performance assessment for radio based train control system of urban transit system", The Ministry of Construction and Transportation, 2013.
- G.D. Ko, N.I Choi, Y.J. Kang, M.K Song, "Subway tunnel propagation path loss analysis of 2.45GHz and 5.8GHz band", KICS summer conference 2003, Yongpyoung, Korea, pp. 1021-1024, 2003.
- N.H. Park, M.K. Song, Y.J. Kang, "Propagation measurement of various directional beam in subway tunnel environments for IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN", The journal of the Korea Institute of Maritime Information & Communication Sciences, Vol 8, No 2, pp. 232-238, 2004.
- H.D Jung, N.J. Park, Y.J. Kang, M.K. Song, "Measurement and analysis of propagation characteri-stics in curved subway tunnel environments", The journal of korea information and communication society", Vol 29, No 8A, pp. 950-961, 2004.
- H.S. Jo, D.Y. Kim, J.G. Yook, "Path loss characteristics in subway tunnel at 2.65GHz". The journal of korea information and communication society" Vol. 31 No. 10A, pp. 1014-1019, 2006.
- K.H. Choi, M.S. Seo, "Measurement of 18GHz radio propagation characteristics in subway tunnel for trainwayside multimedia transmission", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol 15, No 4, pp. 364-369 2012. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2012.15.4.364
- Y.S. Song, Y.K. Kim, J.H. Baek, Development of LTE-R for Unifying National Railroad Wireless Communication, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol 16, No 6, pp. 551-557, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.6.551
Grant : 국가공공안전서비스를 위한 LTE 기반 재난통신시스템 단말 개발, 도시철도용 무선통신기반 열차제어시스템 표준체계구축 및 성능평가
Supported by : 정보통신기술진흥센터, 국토진흥원