- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
지역사회 거주 성인남성의 금연의도 관련요인
Factors Associated with Intention to Quit Smoking in Community-dwelling Male Adult Smokers
- 안혜란 (남부대학교 간호학과)
- Ahn, Hye-Ran (Department of Nursing, Nambu University)
- 투고 : 2015.10.30
- 심사 : 2015.12.15
- 발행 : 2015.12.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to identify the factors associated with intention to quit smoking in community-dwelling male adult smokers in Korea. Methods: This study was cross-sectional research that used data of 4,010 male smokers. Data from the 2013 Community Health Survey were analyzed through multiple logistic regression. Results: Of the male adult smokers, 65.64% reported that they had an intention to quit smoking. In the logistic regression analysis, age, amount of smoking per day, previous attempts to quit smoking, exposure to smoking-quitting campaigns, and toothbrushing after lunch were significantly associated with intention to quit smoking. Conclusion: These factors should be considered in developing policies and population-based smoking cessation programs to increase smoking cessation among Korean men.
- Kim YH, Lee SH. Smoking cessation. The Korean academy of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases. 2010;69(3):153-162. http://dx.doi.org/10.4046/trd.2010.69.3.153 https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2010.69.3.153
- Marques-Vidal P, Melich-Cerveira J, Paccaud F, Waeber G, Vollenweider P, Cornuz J. Prevalence and factors associated with difficulty and intention to quit smoking in Switzerland. Biomed Central Public Health. 2011;11:1-9. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1186/1471-2458-11-227 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-227
- Mackay JL, Erikson M, Ross H. The tobacco atlas. 4th ed. New York, NY: The American Cancer Society, Inc.; 2013. 87 p.
- Jung KJ, Yun YD, Baek SJ, Jee SH, Kim IS. Smoking-attributable mortality among Korean adults, 2012. Journal of The Korea Society of Health Informatics and Statistics. 2013;38(2): 36-48.
- Ministry for Health and Welfare. Statistics for smoking [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry for Health and Welfare. 2013 [cited 2015 October 15]. Available from: http://www.nosmokeguide.or.kr/mbs/nosmokeguide/subview.jsp?id=nosmokeguide_010101000000
- OECD. OECD health data 2014 [Internet]. Paris: OECD. 2014 [cited 2015 October 15]. Available from: http://www.oecd.org/els/helath-systems/health-data/htm
- DiClemente CC, Prochaska JO, Fairhurst SK, Velicer WF, Velasquez MM, Rossi JS. The process of smoking cessation: An analysis of precontemplation, contemplation, and preparation stages of change. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1991;59(2):295-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.59.2.295 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.59.2.295
- Hammond D, Fong GT, McNeill A, Borland R, Cummings KM. Effectiveness of cigarette warning labels in informing smokers about the risks of smoking: Findings from the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey. Tobacco Control. 2006;15(Suppl III):iii19-iii25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/tc.2005.012294 https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2005.012294
- Kim YN, Lee JS. A study of the effectiveness of tobacco control policy. Trend Report. Seoul: Korean Health Promotion Foundation, Korea University; 2015 June.
- Ryu SY, Shin JH, Kang MG, Park J. Factors associated with intention to quit smoking among male smokers in 13 communities in Honam region of Korea: 2010 Community health survey. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2011;28(2):75-85.
- Schroeder SA. What to do with a patient who smokes. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2005;294(4): 482-487. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.4.482 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.4.482
- Kim JS, Yu JO, Kim MS. Factors contributing to the intention to quit smoking in community-dwelling elderly smokers. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2012; 23(4):358-365. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.4.358
- Lee KJ, Chang CJ, Kim MS, Lee MH, Cho YH. Factors associated with success of smoking cessation during 6 months. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006;36(5):742-750. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.5.742
- Kim MS. A study on health-related quality of life, smoking knowledge, smoking attitude, and smoking cessation intention in male smokers. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2005;35(2):344-352. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.2.344
- Shin ES, Kwon IS, Cho YC. Investigation of blood pressure, serum lipids, and obesity indices according to smoking status in middle-aged males. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2013;14(3):1359-1366. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1359 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1359
- Park NH, Kim JS, Jeong IS, Chun BC. Predictors of stage of change for smoking cessation among adolescents based on the transtheoretical model. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health. 2003;26(4):377-382.
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea health statistics 2013; Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES VI-1). Research and Service Report. Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2014 April. Report No.: 11-1351159-000027-10.
- Kenford SL, Fiore MC, Jorenby DE, Smith SS, Wetter D, Baker TB. Predicting smoking cessation. Who will quit with and without the nicotine patch. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 1994;271(8):589-683. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.1994.03510320029025 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1994.03510320029025
- Siahpush M, Mcneill A, Borland R, Fong GT. Socioeconomic variations in nicotine dependence, self-efficacy, and intention to quit across four countries: Findings from the International Tobacco Control (ITC) four country survey. Tobacco Control. 2006;15(suppl3):iii71-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/tc.2004.008763 https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2004.008763
- Fagan P, Augustson E, Backinger CL, O'Connell ME, Vollinger RE Jr, Kaufman A, et al. Quit attempts and intention to quit cigarette smoking among young adults in the United States. American Journal of Public Health. 2007;97(8):1412-1420. http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.103697 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.103697
- Park KY. Predictors of intention to quit smoking among woman smokers in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals Nursing. 2014;21(3):253-263. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.253 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.253
- Myung SK, Mcdonnell DD, Kazinets G, Seo HG, Moskowitz JM. Relationships between household smoking restrictions and intention to quit smoking among Korean American male smokers in California. Journal of Korean Medical Science. 2010;25(2):245-250. http://dx.doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.2.245 https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.2.245
- Abdullah AS, Ho LM, Kwan YH, Cheung WL, McGhee SM, Chan WH. Promoting smoking cessation among the elderly: What are the predictors of intention to quit and successful quitting?. Journal of Aging and Health. 2006;18(4):552-564. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0898264305281104 https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264305281104
- Hyland A, Borland R, Li Q, Yong HH, McNeill A, Fong GT, et al. Individual-level predictors of cessation behaviours among participants in the International Tobacco Control (ITC) four country survey. Tobacco Control. 2006;15(Suppl III):iii83-iii94. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1136/tc.2005.013516 https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2005.013516
- Chung WJ, Lee SM, Shin KY, Lim SJ, Cho KS. Analysis of willingness- to-quit cigarette price among Korean male adults. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health. 2008;41 (3):136-146. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2008.41.3.136
- Abdullah AS, Yam HK. Intention to quit smoking, attempts to quit, and successful quitting among Hong Kong Chinese smokers: Population prevalence and predictors. American Journal of Health Promotion. 2005;19(5):346-400. http://dx.doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-19.5.34 https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-19.5.346
- Yoon YM, Yand EK, Shin SR. Influencing factors on smoking cessation motivation of adult males. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2012;24(5):520-530. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.5.520 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.5.520
- Haddad LG, Petro-Nustas W. Predictors of intention to quit smoking among Jordanian university students. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2006;97(1):9-13.
- Hughes JR. Motivating and helping smokers to stop smoking. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2003;18(12):1053-1057. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2003.20640.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2003.20640.x
- Lee ES. The factors associated with smoking cessation in Korea [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Inje University; 2003. 109 p.