- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of a Group Educational Intervention on the Prevention of Osteoporosis in Breast Cancer Patients
- Ma, Bong Hae (College of Nursing, Shinhan University) ;
- Park, Chai-Soon (College of Nursing, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Baek, Hee Chong (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2015.09.27
- Accepted : 2015.11.16
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to examine the effects of osteoporosis prevention education on Korean breast cancer patients' knowledge and health promoting behavior. Methods: The participants in this study included breast cancer patients who were registered at a self-help group organized by the Breast Cancer Center of a university hospital in Seoul, Korea. The intervention group received 60 minutes' didactic instruction followed by 30 minutes' interactive session, and reinforcement education with leaflets was given three weeks after the group intervention. In order to measure the effects of the intervention, this study used valid and reliable scales on the knowledge of osteoporosis and health promoting behavior for preventing osteoporosis. A post-test was conducted 12 weeks after the intervention. Results: The results showed significant improvement in three of the five factors of osteoporosis knowledge including bone physiology, the characteristics of osteoporosis, and preventive behaviors in the intervention group. Overall health promoting behavior for preventing osteoporosis had significantly increased in the intervention group compared to the control group. Conclusion: Osteoporosis preventive education improved breast cancer patients' knowledge of osteoporosis and health promoting behavior for preventing osteoporosis by inducing their voluntary participation in self-care activities.
- Hadji P. Reducing the risk of bone loss associated with breast cancer treatment. The Breast. 2007;16(3):S10-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2007.10.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2007.10.004
- Korean Society for Bone and Mineral Research. Physician guide for diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis. Seoul: Korean Society for Bone and Mineral Research; 2008. 131 p.
- Camacho PM, Dayal AS, Diaz JL, Nabhan FA, Agarwal M, Norton JG, et al. Prevalence of secondary causes of bone loss among breast cancer patients with osteopenia and osteoporosis. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008;26(33):5380-5385. http://dx.doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.17.7451 https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.17.7451
- Johnell O, Kanis JA. An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporosis International. 2006;17(12):1726-1733. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00198-006-0172-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-006-0172-4
- Shin CS, Cho NH, Kim Y, Kim SW, Park JH, Kim MH, et al. Study of an osteoporosis management program in Korea. Research Report. Seoul: Korea Health Promotion Foundation; 2007 July.
- Munch S, Shapiro S. The silent thief: Osteoporosis and women's health care across the life span. Health and Social Work. 2006;31(1):44-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/hsw/31.1.44 https://doi.org/10.1093/hsw/31.1.44
- Han CH, Kwon DJ, Kim JH. Association of LRP5 gene polymorphisms with bone mineral density and bone responsiveness to hormone therapy in postmenopausal Korean women. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007;50(8):1115- 1124.
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, Won YJ, Boo YK, Shin HR, et al. Cancer statistics in Korea: Incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007. Journal of Korean Medical Science. 2010;25(8): 1113-1121. http://dx.doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113 https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113
- National Cancer Center. Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2011. Annual Report. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2013 December. Report No.: 11-1352000-000145-10.
- Cheung AM, Heisey R, Srighanthan J. Breast cancer and osteoporosis. Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Obesity. 2013;20(6):532-538. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.med.0000436195.10599.dd https://doi.org/10.1097/01.med.0000436195.10599.dd
- Hadji P, Ziller M, Alber US, Kalder M. Assessment of fracture risk in women with breast cancer using current vs. emerging guidelines. British Journal of Cancer. 2010;102(4):645-650. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605548 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605548
- Peppone LJ, Mustian KM, Rosier RN, Carroll JK, Purnell JQ, Janelsins MC, et al. Bone health issues in breast cancer survivors: A Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey(MCBS) study. Support Care Cancer. 2014;22(1):245-251. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00520-013-1967-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-013-1967-4
- Hirbe A, Morgan EA, Uluckan O, Weilbaecher K. Skeletal complications of breast cancer therapies. Clinical Cancer Research. 2006;12(20):6309-6314. http://dx.doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-0652 https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-0652
- Chen Z, Maricic M, Bassford TL, Petting M, Ritenbaugh C, Lopez AM, et al. Fracture risk among breast cancer survivors: Results from the women's health initiative observational study. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2005;165(5):552-558. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.165.5.552 https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.165.5.552
- Choksi P, Williams M, Clark PM, Van Poznak C. Skeletal manifestations of treatment of breast cancer. Current Osteoporosis Reports. 2013;11(4):319-328. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11914-013-0179-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11914-013-0179-7
- Edwards BJ, Samaras A, McKoy JM, Boyle S, Bennett CL. Als: implications for fractures in perimenopausal women with breast cancer. Community Oncology. 2008;5(11):625-626. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1548-5315(11)70528-9
- Tsai CH, Muo CH, Tzeng HE, Tang CH, Hsu HC, Sung FC. Fracture in Asian women with breast cancer occurs at younger age. Plos One. 2013;8(9):e75109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0075109 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0075109
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavioral Research Methods. 2007;39(2):175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Lee HY, Kim SY. The effect of education for prevention of osteoporosis patients with bone fracture. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2001;31(2):194-205. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.2.194
- Choi E, Kim J, Chung M, Hwang K. Development of as osteoporosis awareness scale for women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008;38(6):813-821. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.6.813 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.6.813
- Yeum SK. A study on the relation of cognitive-perceptual factors and behaviors about middle age women's health promotion- focus on the prevention of osteoporosis. [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Chung-Ang University; 1996. 101 p.
- Yoon EJ. The model explaining variance in and quality of life in women with osteoporosis. [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Kyung Hee University; 2001. 142 p.
- Mols F, Vingerhoets AJ, Coebergh JW, Van de Poll-Franse LV. Quality of life among long-term breast cancer survivors: A systematic review. European Journal of Cancer. 2005;41 (17):2613-2619. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.017
- Tung WC, Lee IFK. Effects of an osteoporosis educational programme for men. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2006;56 (1):26-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03976.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03976.x
- Bohaty K, Rocole H, Wehling K, Waltman N. Testing the effectiveness of an educational intervention to increase dietary intake of calcium and vitamin D in young adult women. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2008;20 (2):93-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2007.00281.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2007.00281.x
- Gaines JM, Narrett M, Parrish JM. The effect of the addition of osteoporosis education to bone health screening program for older adults. Geriatric Nursing. 2010;31(5):348-360. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2010.04.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2010.04.011
- Winzenberg T, Oldenburg B, Frendin S, De Wit L, Riley M, Jones G. The effect on behavior and bone mineral density of individualized bone mineral density feedback and educational interventions in premenopausal women: A randomized controlled trial. BioMed Central Public Health. 2006;6(12):1-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-6-12 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-6-12
- Chan MF, Ko CY, Day MC. The effectiveness of an osteoporosis prevention education programme for women in Hong Kong: A randomized control trial. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2005;14(9):1112-1123. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01224.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01224.x
- Sedlak CA, Doheny MO, Jones SL. Osteoporosis education program: Changing knowledge and behaviors. Public Health Nursing. 2000;17(5):398-402. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1046/j.1525-1446.2000.00398.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1446.2000.00398.x