- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Characterization of SPAES Composite Membrane Using Silane Based Inorganics
실란계 복합화 무기물을 이용한 SPAES 복합막의 특성평가
- Woo, Chang Hwa (Division of Science and Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Deuk Ju (Department of Materials Engineering and Convergence Technology, Engineering Research Institute, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Nam, Sang Yong (Division of Science and Engineering, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2015.10.26
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.10.31
In this study, we synthesize novel silane based inorganics for preparation of the polymer electrolyte membrane with high proton conductivity under high temperature condition and developed membranes are characterized. SPAES, hydrocarbon based polymer are synthesized and used as main polymeric material. We used sol-gel method to prepare inorganic material with high performance using silica, phosphate and zirconium. Three types of inorganics were prepared by control of the mole ration of each component. As a result of EDX analysis, the inorganic materials are well dispersed in the polymer membrane. The water uptake of the composite membrane is increased by introduction of the hydrophilic inorganic material in the membrane. When the content of the zirconium in the membrane is increased, the proton conductivity of the composite membrane shows the higher value than pure SPAES membrane at the high temperature. And the silica based inorganics effect to increase the proton conductivity under low temperature condition.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- L. Gubler and G. G. Scherer, "Trends for fuel cell membrane development", Desalination, 250, 1034 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2009.09.101
- D. J. Kim and S. Y. Nam, "Research trend of organic/ inorganic composite membrane for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell", Membr. J., 22, 155 (2012).
- D. J. Kim, H. Y. Hwang, and S. Y. Nam, "Characterization of hybrid membranes made from sulfonated poly(arylene ether sulfone) and vermiculite with high cation exchange capacity for DMFC applications", Membr. J., 21, 389 (2011).
- H. Huh, D. J. Kim, and S. Y. Nam, "Proton conductivity and methanol permeability of sulfonated poly(aryl ether sulfone)/modified graphene hybrid membranes", Membr. J., 21, 247 (2011).
- D. J. Kim, M. J. Jo, and S. Y. Nam, "A review of polymer-nanocomposite electrolyte membranes for fuel cell application", J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 21, 36 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2014.04.030
- D. J Kim, M. K. Jeong, and S. Y. Nam, "Research trends in ion exchange membrane processes and practical applications", Appl. Chem. Eng., 26, 1 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1008
- M. Gil, X. Ji, X. Li, H. Na, J. E. Hampsey, and Y. Lu, "Direct synthesis of sulfonated aromatic poly (ether ether ketone) proton exchange membranes for fuel cell applications", J. Membr. Sci., 234, 75 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2003.12.021
- S. M. J. Zaidi, S. D. Mikhailenko, G. P. Robertson, M. D. Guiver, and S. Kaliaguine, "Proton conducting composite membranes from polyether ether ketone and heteropolyacids for fuel cell applications", J. Membr. Sci., 173, 17 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(00)00345-8
- A. H. N. Rao, R. L. Thankamony, H.-J. Kim, S. Nam, and T.-H. Kim, "Imidazolium-functionalized poly (arylene ether sulfone) block copolymer as an anion exchange membrane for alkaline fuel cell", Polymer, 54, 111 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2012.11.023
- B. Bae, T. Hoshi, K. Miyatake, and M. Watanabe, "Sulfonated block poly (arylene ether sulfone) membranes for fuel cell applications via oligomeric sulfonation", Macromolecules, 44, 3884 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1021/ma2000306
- M. Tohidian, S. R. Ghaffarian, S. E. Shakeri, E. Dashtimoghadam, and M. M. Hasani-Sadrabadi, "Organically modified montmorillonite and chitosan- phosphotungstic acid complex nanocomposites as high performance membranes for fuel cell applications", J. Solid State Electrochem., 17, 2123 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-013-2074-7
- H. Dogan, T. Y. Inan, M. Koral, and M. Kaya, "Organo-montmorillonites and sulfonated PEEK nanocomposite membranes for fuel cell applications", Appl. Clay Sci., 52, 285 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2011.03.007
- M. Linlin, A. K. Mishra, N. H. Kim, and J. H. Lee, "Poly (2, 5-benzimidazole)-silica nanocomposite membranes for high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell", J. Membr. Sci., 411, 91 (2012).
- J. A. Asensio, E. M. Sanchez, and P. Gomez- Romero, "Proton-conducting membranes based on benzimidazole polymers for high-temperature PEM fuel cells", Chem. Soc. Rev., 39, 3210 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1039/b922650h
- R. K. Nagarale, W. Shin, and P. K. Singh, "Progress in ionic organic-inorganic composite membranes for fuel cell applications", Polym. Chem., 1, 388 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1039/B9PY00235A
- C. Arbizzani, A. Donnadio, M. Pica, M. Sganappa, A. Varzi, M. Casciola, and M. Mastragostino, "Methanol permeability and performance of Nafion-zirconium phosphate composite membranes in active and passive direct methanol fuel cells", J. Power Sources, 195, 7751 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.07.034
- K. A. Gross, C. S. Chai, G. S. K. Kannangara, B. Ben-Nissan, and L. Hanley, "Thin hydroxyapatite coatings via sol-gel synthesis", J. Mater. Sci. - Mater. M., 9, 839 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008948228880
- K. Onishi, S. Sewa, K. Asaka, N. Fujiwara, and K. Oguro, "Morphology of electrodes and bending response of the polymer electrolyte actuator", Electrochim. Acta, 46, 737 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-4686(00)00656-3
- A. A. Kornyshev, A. M. Kuznetsov, E. Spohr, and J. Ulstrup, "Kinetics of proton transport in water", J. Phys. Chem. B, 107, 3351 (2003).
- J. Ramirez-Salgado, "Study of basic biopolymer as proton membrane for fuel cell systems", Electrochim. Acta, 52, 3766 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2006.10.051
- C. Yang, S. Srinivasan, A. S. Arico, P. Creti, V. Baglio, and V. Antonucci, "Composite Nafion/zirconium phosphate membranes for direct methanol fuel cell operation at high temperature", Electrochem. Solid-State Lett., 4, A31 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1353157
- C. Yang, S. Srinivasan, A. B. Bocarsly, S. Tulyani, and J. B. Benziger, "A comparison of physical properties and fuel cell performance of Nafion and zirconium phosphate/Nafion composite membranes", J. Membr. Sci. 237, 145 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2004.03.009