- Volume 9 Issue 3
Objectives : This study is a quasi-experiment with a pre-post design and a nonequivalent control group performed from May 1 to June 2, 2013 to verify the effects of a simulation based education program on nursing students' self-confidence, and clinical performance ability. Methods : The subjects of the study were a total of 60 students in their fourth year of a nursing program at a university located in G city and they were assigned to an experimental group of 30 students and a control group of 30 students by convenience sampling. Results : After being offered education, self-confidence, and clinical performance ability were significantly more improved than before in each group. In the comparison of the two groups, the self-confidence (t=3.00, p=.004) and clinical performance ability(t=3.14, p=.003) of the experiment group were significantly higher than those of the control group. Conclusions : The results indicated that instructional methods using a simulation-based emergency care program should be adopted maximize the effects of advanced cardiopulmonary life support education.
Simulation;Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation;Self-Confidence;Clinical Performance Ability
- American Heart Association(2011), Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support: Provider Manual, American Heart Association, pp.151-157.
- J.M. O'Donnell, D.L. Rodgers, W.W. Lee, D.P. Edelson, J. Haag, M.F. Hamilton, T. Hoadley, A. McCullough, R. Meeks(2008), Structured and Supported Debriefing Using the GAS Model. Presented at 2nd Annual WISER Symposium for Nursing Simulation, pp.1-38.
- J.S. Hyun(2012), Effects of Simulation-Based ACLS Education on Self-confidence Performance of ACLS among Nursing Officers, Journal of Militry Nursing Research, Vol.30(1);100-111.
- N.1. Fisher, L.A. Eisen, J.V. Bayya, A. Dulu, P.S. Bernstein, I.R. Merkatz, D. Goffman(2011), Improved Performance of Maternal-Fetal Medicine Staff after Maternal Cardiac Arrest Simulation-Based Training, Am J Obstet Gynecol, Vol.205(3);239.e1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2011.06.012
- C.J. Gordon, T. Buckley(2009), The Effect of High-Fidelity Simulation Training on Medical-Surgical Graduate Nurses' Perceived Ability to Respond to Patient Clinical Emergencies, Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Vol.40(11);491-498. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20091023-06
- H.K. Hur, S.M. Park(2012), Effects of Simulation Based Education for Emergency Care of Patients with Dyspnea on Knowledge and Performance Confidence of Nursing Students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.18(1);111-119. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.111
- C.S. Kim(2012), Development and Effect of High Fidelity Patient Simulation Education Program for Nursing Students, Unpublished Doctor's thesis, The Catholic University, pp.1-36.
- K.W. Butler, D.E. Veltre, D.S. Brady(2009), Implementation of Active Learning Pedagogy Comparing Low-Fidelity Simulation versus High-Fidelity Simulation in Pediatric Nursing Education, Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.5(4);129-136.
- C.H. Ko(2007), The Effect of Simulation-Based Training on the Competence of Basic Life Support of the Students Emergency Medical Technology, The Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medical Technology, Vol.11(3);31-45.
- S.B. Issenberg, W.C. Mcgaghie, I.R. Hart, J.W. Mayer, E.R. Petrusa, J.M. Felner, R.A. Waugh, D.D. Brown, R.R. Safford, I.H. Gessner, D.L. Gordon, G.A. Ewy(2006), Simulation Technology for Healthcare Professional Skills Training and Assessment, The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol.282(9);861-866.
- S.O. Hwang, G.S. Lim(2011), Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support, Koonja, pp.15-25.
- R. Kim, M.J. Chae(2015), Effects of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Education Using a PC Skill-Reporting System on the Knowledge, Self-Efficacy and Skill Performance Ability of Nursing Students, The Korean Society of Health Service Management, Vol.9(1);133-144. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.1.133
- H.S. Kim, E.Y. Choi(2012), Continuity of BLS Training Effects in Nursing Students, The Journal of Korean Society of Nursing Education, Vol.18(1);102-110. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.102
- T.A. Hoadley(2009), Learning Advanced Cardiac Life Support : A Comparison Study of the Effects of Low and High Fidelity Simulation, Nursing Education Perspectives, Vol.30(2);91-95.
- J.J. Yang(2008), Development and Evaluation of a Simulation-Based Education Course for Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, Vol.20(4);548-560.
- R. Hamilton(2005), Nurses' Knowledge and Skill Retention Following Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Training: A Review of the Literature, Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.51(3);288-297. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03491.x
- http://www.kostat.go.kr/- paper.html
- Korean Association of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation(2011), Korean CPR Guideline, pp.3-4.
- Y.H. Kim, K.S. Jang(2011), Effect of a Simulation-Based Education on Cardiopulmonary Emergency Care Knowledge, Clinical Performance Ability and Problem Solving Process in New Nurses, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.41(2);245-255. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245
- H.S. Byun, K.H. Kwon, B.D. Suh(2014), Effect of a Simulation-based Education for Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support on Knowledge, Self-Efficacy, Clinical Performance Ability and Problem Solving Process in Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association(JKEIA), Vol8(4);2601-273.
- S.J. Chang, E.O. Kwon, Y.O. Kwon, H.K. Kwon(2010), The Effects of Simulation Training for Graduate Critical Care Nurses on Knowledge, Self-Efficacy, and Performance Ability of Emergency Situations at Intensive Care Unit, Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, Vol.22(4);375-383.
- E.O. Kwon, M.Y. Shim, E.H. Choi, S.H. Lim, K.M. Han, E.J. Lee, S.J. Chang, M.M. Lee(2012), The Effects of an Advanced Cardiac Life Support Simulation Training Based on the Mastery Learning Model, Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.18(1);126-135.
- D.B. Wayne, J. Butter, J. Viva, M.J. Fudala, L.A. Lindquist, J. Feinglass, L.D. Wade, W.C. McGaghie(2005), Simulation-based Training of Internal Medicine Residents in Advanced Cardiac Life Support Protocols: A Randomized Trial. Teaching and Learning Medicine, Vol.17(3);210-216.
- S.Y. Yu(2013), Development and Effects of Simulation-Based Education Program for Newborn Emergency Care, Journal of Korean academy of nursing, Vol.43(4);468-477. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.4.468
- J. Cohen(1988), Statistical Power Analysis for Behavioral Science, Academic Press, p.384