- Volume 9 Issue 3
Objectives : A survey was conducted to investigate oral health belief and education awareness of oral health of workers in the workplace and to obtain the basic data necessary to promote their oral health and design an oral health education program. Methods : This study conducted a self-administered survey. Results : The following conclusion was made. For oral health beliefs based on the type of work that the workers did, workers in production and technical services had more benefits than those in other fields(security, guard, etc.), and workers on night duty had more oral health hygiene problems than that of regular day-time workers. The longer the period of service was, the more sensitive and serious the workers were and the less beneficial the work was; workers working for eight hours or less had higher levels of importance than those working for ten hours. They were well aware of the need for oral health education but were less aware of the need for an oral health room. Conclusions : It is necessary to emphasize oral health beliefs when developing an oral health education program that promotes oral health for workers in the workplace. If an oral health education program attempts to reflect the concerns of workers in the workplace and provides preferred contents and methods on oral health education, the program is expected to promote the active and positive participation of the workers.
Oral Health Belief;Oral Health Education;Workers
- J.H. Lee, M.S. Cho(2012), A Study of Oral Health Care Pattern of the Industrial Workers in Ulsan Metropolitan City, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.6(2);15-23.
- D.S. Kang, H.S. Lee(2003), Work Loss Caused by Oral Diseases in Korean Workers, Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol.27(2);305-317.
- B.R. Lee(2012), A Study on Oral Health Knowledge and Behaviors of Industrial Workers in Gwangju, Wonkwang University, pp.1-2, 22-23.
- S.J. Kwon, E.J. Lee(2013), The Effects of Oral Health Belief on Use of Dental Service of Students of Health and Medical Department of Universities, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.7(3);83-93.
- J.S. Park, C.J. Park, Y.S. Kwon(1996), The Effect of Health Education on the Performance of Health Promoting Behavior in College Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.26(2);359-371.
- S.S. Kegeles(1963), Some Motives for Seeking Preventive Dental Care, J Am Dent Assoc, Vol.67;90-98. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1963.0231
- K.A. Jang, I.C. Hwang(2009), The Relationship between Oral Health Knowledge and Its Education Recognizance of Child care Teacher, The Korea Contents Society, Vol.9(12);735-741. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.12.735
- A.J. Im, Y.M. Heo, H.J. Kim, H.J. Lim(2015), Influencing Ffactors on Oral Health Behavior and Dental Clinic Use in Industrial Workers by Andersen model, Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene Education, Vol.15(2);235-243. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.235
- R. Ide, T. Mizoue, Y. Tsukiyama, M. Ikeda, T. Yoshimura(2001), Evaluation of Ooral Health Promotion in the Workplace: the Effects on Dental Care Costs and Frequency of Dental Visits, Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.29(3);213-219. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2001.290307.x
- L. Schou(1989), Oral Health Promotion at Worksites, Int Dent J, Vol.39(2);122-128.
- J.R. Song, H.W. Oh, H.S. Lee(2007), Workers' Oral Health Behaviors and Need for Education in Iksan city, Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol.31(1);91-102.
- M.H. Choi(2010), A Survey Research on Iindustrial Workers' Oral Examination Status and Oral Health Educational Request Level, Korean Society Dental Hygiene, Vol.10(1);185-195.
- M.H. Lim(2008), A Study on the Oral-Health Belief and Oral-Health Care of Company Employees, Korean Society Dental Hygiene, Vol.8(4);205-217.
- D.H. Koh(2006), Work Loss Due to Oral Diseases among Workers in Factories Using Acids in Korea, Seoul University, pp.20-21.
- H.R. Kim, I.H. Park, S.Y. Kang(2010), The Characteristics of Smoking Cessation Behavior by the Stage of Change in Industrial Workers, J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, Vol.21(1);63-70. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.63
- E.H. Hong(2009), Satisfaction of Wokers on Periodic Medical Check-up, Kosin University, pp.6-7.
- C.Y. Kim, B.Y. Huh(1989), Psychological Symptoms Analysis of Night Duty Workers by Symptom Checklist-90-Revision, Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.1(2);228-235.
- Y.J. Park, M.S. Lee(2013), The Analysis of Food Service and Accommodation Activities Workers' Safety Behavior in Small-scale Work places, Crisis and Emergency Management, Vol.9(12);1-21.
- J.S. Heo(2011), Oral Health Behavior of Steel Industry Workers According to Work Type, Wonkwang University, pp.12-31.
- S.M. Kim(2013), Oral Health Belief and Oral Health Behavior of Taxi driver in Jeonju, Wonkwang University, pp.23-24.
- Y.A. Choi(2003), Health States by Work Environment and Life Style of Workers in a Cooperative Fish Market, Kosin University, pp.29-33.
- E.K. Kim(2009), Cognizance and practice for the oral health of the workers of facility with an attached dental clinic, Chonnam National University, pp.12-14.
- S.Y. Ko, H.S. Moon, J.B. Kim, D.I. Paik(1999), A Study on the knowledge, oponions and practices about oral health of workers in Korea, Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol.23(2);95-111.
- E.J. Kim, H.S. Lee(2012), A study on oral health behavior of shipbuilding company workers, Korean Society Dental Hygiene, Vol.12(2);275-284. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.2.275
- H.R. Hwang(2011), The effects of Oral Health Belief influence on the preventive oral health behaviors in college students, Dankook University, pp.12-16.
- 1. The Effects of Oral Health Belief on Oral Disease Prevention and Quality of Life vol.10, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.3.159
- 2. Survey of Changes in Oral Health Behaviors through the Application of an Oral Health Education Program to Workers at Some Work Sites vol.4, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.3.159