- Volume 9 Issue 4
Objectives : The aim of this study was to determine the effects of job stress on temporomandibular disorders, temporomandibular disorder habits, and xerostomia and on oral health status and to provide basic data necessary to develop oral health promotion programs. Methods : For this purpose, a survey was conducted drawing the following conclusions. Cross-analysis, correlation analysis, One-way ANOVA, data were collected using the program SPSS 18.0 statistical techniques, independent sample T-black, the Scheffe post-implementation verification. Results : Job stress positively affected temporomandibular disorders, temporomandibular disorder habits, and xerostomia: those with more job stress were more likely to have temporomandibular disorders, temporomandibular disorder habits, and xerostomia. Conclusions : It is necessary to have a good understanding of the causes of job stress and recognize and manage oral symptoms caused by job stress in the pursuit of oral health.
Government Official;Job Stress;Temporomandibular Disorder;Xerostomia
- H.K. Kim, J.H. Kim(2009), Relationship between Stress and Eating Habits of Adults in Ulsan, Journal of Nutrition and Health, Vol.42(6);536-546.
- M.S. Kim, N.H. Kim(2011), Impact of Self-Esteem and Job Stress on Job Satisfaction of the Emergency Medical Technicians, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.5(2);147-155.
- J.K. Tak, H.J. Yoon(2002), Development of the Job Stress Scale for Local Civil Servants, Korean Journal of Culture Issues and Social, Vol.7(2);197-210.
- S.Y. Kim, W.H. Ock(2001), A Study on Job Stress and Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment of Local Public Service, Korean Public Administration Review, Vol.35(4);355-373.
- Y.J. Jo, Y.C. Cho(2011), Relationship Between Job Stress and Psychosocial Stress Among Clerical Public Officers, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.12(6);2598-2606. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.6.2598
- M.H. Hong(2012), The effects of occupational stress on oral health impact profile (OHIP) in local government workers, Journal of Korean society of Dental Hygiene, Vol.12(3);471-483. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.471
- H.J. Choi, J.H. Ji, Y.S. Park(2012), The Influence of Job Stress on Job Attitude and Moderating Effects of Organizational Support among Hospital Nurses, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.6(3);141-155.
- H.J. Cho, M.H. Cho, Y.J. Jo, Y.E. Jang, E.H. Jeon, B.L. Jeong, Y.S. Jeong, H.K. Cha, Y.J. Choi, I.S. Han, J.Y. Hwang(2012), The Influence of Occupational Stress in Dry Mouth and Self-Diagnosed Oral Symptoms on Workers, Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.12(6);634-643.
- M. Bergdahl, J. Bergdahl(2000), Low unstimulated salivary flow and subjective oral dryness: association with medication, anxiety, depression, and stress, J Dent Res, Vol.79(9);1652-1658. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345000790090301
- G.J. Han, J.S. Kim, J.K. Seon, J.H. Son, S.W. Oh, Y.S. Park, Y.J. Jung, U.M. Jerng, J.W. Park, B.H. Ryu(2010), Correlation between Xerostomia, Stress, and Qi Movement Stagnation in Halitosis Patients, J of Korean Orient Med, Vol.31(3);488-499.
- H.M. Koo, Q.S. Auh, Y.H. Chun, J.P. H(2007), Change of the Amylase Secretion on the Rat Submandibular Gland in the Restraint Stress Condition, Korean Journal of Oral Medicine, Vol.32(1);57-67.
- T.M. Graber(2003), Management of temporomandibular disorders and occlusion, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, Vol.104(3);315-316.
- L.J. Thomas, N. Tiber, S. Schireson(1973), The effects of anxiety and frustration on muscular tension related to the temporomandibular joint syndrome, Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol, Vol.36(5);763-768. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(73)90153-9
- S.J. Chang, S.B. Koh ,D.M. Kang, S.A. Kim, M.G. Kang, C.G. Lee, et,al(2005), Developing an Occupational Stress Scale for Korean Employees, Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.17(4);297-317.
- E.G. Seo(2010), Prevalence of temporomandibular disorders and its risk factors among office workers, service workers and teachers, Korea University, pp.14-19.
- I.A. Kim(2012), Study on the Effects of Psychosocial stress on Temporomandibular Disorders, Dankook University, pp.45-47.
- M.H. Hong(2014), Impact of physical stress symptoms and psycho-emotional stress symptoms on oral health in adults, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15(3);1663-1670. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1663
- M.J. Nam, D.C. Uhm(2011), Correlation between Oral dryness and Stress level of college students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.12(9);4030-4037. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.4030
- M.H. Cho(2013), Analysis of work related stress and a proposal for a stress reduction program through art therapy : focus on University administrative staff, Hanyang University, pp.65-67.
- S.S. Yang, J.G. Cha, S.H. Ahn, H.J. Lee(2011), The Status of drinking, Job stress and Psychological Well-being of the Official - Focusing on the Goyang City, Journal of Korean Alcohol Science, Vol.12(1);123-143.
- S.Y. Kim, H.K. Kim, H.I. Cho(2012), Health Behaviors, Interpersonal/Organizational Health Environment, and Job Stress among Government Officials in Korea, Korean Journal OF Health Education and Promotion, Vol.29(3);63-74.
- M.S. Lee(2009), Work-related stress and its related factors of workplace healthcare manager, Yeungnam University, pp.17-27.
- Y.Y. Jung, J.T. Hong(2013), A Study of the Relation of Stress to Oral Parafunctional Habits of Male High School Students, Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.13(4);471-479.
- M.E. Kim(2012), The effect of job stress in jobholders on xerostomia, Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene Education, Vol.12(1);1-15. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.001