- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Preschooler's Internal Representation Profile Types and Diurnal Cortisol Regulation Pattern at Home
유아 내적 표상 유형과 가정에서의 코티솔 패턴 변화
- Received : 2014.10.15
- Accepted : 2015.02.03
- Published : 2015.02.28
The purposes of this study were to explore the relations of preschoolers' narrative representation profile types to diurnal cortisol regulation pattern at home. Fourteen story stems from the MacArthur Story Stem Battery (MSSB, Bretherton, et al., 1990) were administered to 40 preschoolers(22 boys, 18 girls, aged 5) recruited from 8 kindergartens in the Seoul and Gyeonggi areas. And also, their saliva cortisol was collected. The children's responses were aggregated into 5 dimensions, based on content themes and performance scores, which included emotions expressed and narrative coherence using the MacArthur Narrative Coding System(Robinson, et al., 2004). Data were analyzed by means of cluster analysis. Five response profiles emerged over the course of this research: Prosocial, Anxiety, Dyregulated aggression, Restricted, and Avoidance profiles. Cortisol at home showed decrease diurnal cortisol regulation patterns, however it showed a difference according to narrative response profiles. Restricted, Prosocial, and Avoidance profiles showed decrease diurnal cortisol regulation patterns. Anxiety profiles showed flat pattern, and Dyregulated aggression profile showed rising diurnal cortisol regulation pattern. These results show the preschoolers' internal representation may affect the diurnal cortisol reaction in daytime.
internal representation type;story stem narrative;diurnal cortisol regulation pattern at home
- 김현덕 (1992). Socialization process of children within the family-cross-cultural study in Korea, Japan, India, and the U.S.A. 교육학연구, 30, 263-278.
- 민성혜, 신혜원 (2006). 위탁아동과 일반아동의 이야기를 통한 나레이티브 반응의 차이. 한국아동복지학, 22, 31-61.
- 민성혜, 신혜원, 이영 (2004). 유아의 어머니에 대한 나레이티브 표상 발달. 아동학회지, 25(6), 153- 170.
- 민현숙 (2009). 유아의 내적표상 유형별 어머니-유아의 정서적 가용성. 연세대학교 대학원 박사학위논문.
- 박경자, 최정윤, 권연희, 김지현 (2007). 보육의 특성에 따른 유아의 코티솔 패턴. 아동학회지, 28(6), 201-215.
- 박혜원, 곽금주, 박경배 (2002). 한국 웩슬러 유아지능 검사(K-WIPPSI). 서울: 도서 출판 특수교육.
- 설경옥 (2012). 시설보호아동과 입양아동의 타액 속 코티솔 일일주기 리듬과 내재화 문제 관계 비교 연구. 한국심리학회지: 발달, 25(3), 73-87.
- 신혜원, 민성혜 (2008). 가정위탁유아, 연장입양유아와 일반유아의 내적표상에서의 차이. 아동학회지, 29(3), 157-174.
- 이영, 민성혜, 신혜원, 유영미 (in press). Korean-MacArthur Story Stem Battery. 유아마음읽기 연구회.
- 이영, 민성혜, 신혜원, 유영미, 민현숙 (in press). Korean-MacArthur Narrative Coding System Manual. 유아마음읽기 연구회.
- 이영, 민현숙 (2010). 한국 5세 아동의 이야기 완성과제에 대한 나레이티브 반응 경향성. 아동학회지, 31(5), 193-210.
- 이영, 신의진, 정지나, 민성혜, 민현숙, 이경숙 (2007). 유아의 가정에서의 코티솔 패턴과 내면화 행동성향 간의 관계, 대한가정학회지, 45(9), 53-62.
- 이은해, 박경자, 정현숙 (1998). 아동의 사회 정서 발달에 미치는 가족변인 및 보육 시설의 효과. 대한가정학회지, 36(6), 27-40.
- 이희원 (2004). 유아의 내적 표상과 문제 행동간의 관계. 연세대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.
- 최윤경, 이윤진, 김세현, 나지혜 (2012). 아동발달관점에서 본 육아지원시간 이용시간 고찰-스트레스 호르몬 조사를 중심으로. 서울: 육아정책연구소.
- 최정윤 (2008). 보육시설 아동의 코티솔 수준: 보육경험, 사회계층, 어머니 양육행동, 아동의 사회적 유능성과의 관계. 연세대학교 대학원 박사학위논문.
- Ainsworth, M. D. S. (1990). Some considerations regarding theory and assessment relevant to attachments beyond infancy. In M. T. Greenberg, D. Cicchetti, & E. M. Cummings (Eds.), Attachment in the preschool years: Theory, research, and intervention (pp. 463-488). Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Band, E. B., & Weisz, J. R. (1988). How to feel better, When it feel bad: Children's perspectives on coping with everyday stress. Development Psychology, 24(2), 247-253. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16188.8.131.52
- Bowlby, J .(1982). Attachment and loss: Vol 1. Attachment. (2nd Ed). NY: Basic Books.
- Bretherton, I. (1985). Attachment theory: Retrospect and prospect. In Bretherton, & E. Waters (Eds.), Growing points of attachment theory and research. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 50(1-2, Serial No. 209), 3-35.
- Burt, D. C. Hart, C. H., Charleworth, R., & Kirk, L. (1990). A comparison of frequencies of stress behaviors observed in kindergarten children in classrooms with developmentally appropriate versus developmentally inappropriate instructional practices. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 5(3), 407-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/0885-2006(90)90030-5
- Cassidy, J. (1994). Emotion regulation: Influence of attachment relationships. In Fox N. (Eds.). The develoment of emotion regulation: Biological and behavioral considerations. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 59(2-3, Serial No. 240), 228-249.
- de Kloet, E. R. (1991). Brain corticosteriod receptor balance and homeostatic control. Frontiers in Neuroendocrinlogy, 12(2), 95-164.
- Dettling, A. C., Gunnar, M. R., & Donzella, B. (1999). Cortisol levels of young children in full-day childcare centers: Correlations with age and temperament. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 24(5), 519-536. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4530(99)00009-8
- Dettling, A. C., Parker, S. W., Lane, S., Sebanc, A., & Gunnar, M. R. (2000). Quality of care and temperament determine whether cortisol levels rise over the day for children in full-day child care. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 25(8), 819-836. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4530(00)00028-7
- Gunnar, M. R., & Cheatham, C. L. (2003). Brain and behavior interfaces: Stress and the developing brain. Infant Health Journal, 24(3), 195-211. https://doi.org/10.1002/imhj.10052
- Gunnar, M. R., & Quevedo, K. (2007). The neurobiology of stress and development. Annual Review of Psychology, 58, 145-173. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.58.110405.085605
- Gunnar, M. R., & Vazquez, D. M. (2001). Low cortisol and a flattening of the expected daytime rhythm: potential indices of risk in human development. Developmental Psychopathology, 13(3), 516-536.
- Laible, D., Carlo, G., Torquarti, J., & Ontai, L. (2004). Children's perceptions of family relationships as assessed in a doll story completion task: Links to parenting, social competence, and externalizing behavior. Social Development, 13(4), 551-569. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9507.2004.00283.x
- Larson, M., White, B. P,. Cochran, A., Donzella, B. & Gunnar, M. R. (1998). Dampening of the cortisol response to handling 3-months in human infants and its relation to sleep, circadian cortisol activity, and behavioral distress. Developmental Psychobiology, 33(4), 327-337. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2302(199812)33:4<327::AID-DEV4>3.0.CO;2-S
- Lazarus, R. S., & Cohen, J. B. (1977). Environmental stress. In Altman, I., & Wohlwill, J. F. (Eds.), Human behavior and the environment: Current theory and research (pp. 89-137). NY: Plenum.
- Lupien, S. J., King, S., Meaney, M. H., & McEwen, B. S. (2000). Child's stress hormone levels correlate with mother's socioeconomic status and depressive state. Biological Psychiatry, 48(10), 979-980.
- Main, M., Kaplan, N, & Cassidy, J. (1985). Security in infancy, childhood and adulthood: A move to the level of representation. In I. Bretherton & E. Waters (Eds.), Growing points in attachment theory and research (pp. 66-104). Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 50(1-2, Serial No. 209).
- McEwen B. S., & Seeman, T. (1999). Protective and damaging effects of mediators of stress: Elaborating and testing the concepts of allostasis and allostatic load. In N. E. Adler, M. Marmot, B. S. McEwen, & J. Stewart (Eds.), Socioeconomic status and health in industrial nations: Social, psychological and biological pathways (pp. 30-47). Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 896.
- Oppenheim, D. (2003). Children's emotional resolution of MSSB narratives: Relations with child behavior problems and parental psychological distress. In R. N. Emde, D. P. Wolf, and D. Oppenheim (Eds.), Revealing the inner worlds of young children: The MacArthur Story Stem battery and parent-child narratives (pp. 147-162). Oxford University Press.
- Oppenheim, D., Nir, A., Warren, S., & Emde, R. N. (1997). Emotion regulation in mother-child narrative co-construction: Associations with children's narratives and adaption. Developmental Psychology, 33(2), 284-294. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16184.108.40.2064
- Rakow, L. A. (1987). An annotated bibliography of the literature dealing with helping children understand and cope with their stress. Indiana: Exit Project, Indiana University at South Bend.
- RiFkin-Graboi, A. (2008). Attachment status and salivary cortisol in a normal day and during simulated interpersonal stress in young men. Stress, 11(3), 210-224. https://doi.org/10.1080/10253890701706670
- Robinson, J. L., Mantz-Simmions, L., Macfie, J., Kelsay, K., Holmberg, J., & the MacArthur Narrative Working Group. (2004). The MacArthur narrative coding manual. Unpublished document.
- Robinson, J., & Eltz, M. (2003). Children's empathic representations in relation to early caregiving patterns among low-income african mothers. In M. Pratt & B. Fiese (Eds.). Family Stories and the Life course: Across Time and Generations. NJ: Erlbaum.
- Smeekens S., Marianne Riken-Walraven J., & Van Bakel H. J. (2007). Cortisol reactions in five-year- olds to parent-child interaction: the moderating role of ego resiliency, Child PsychoPsychiatry, 48(7), 649-656. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01753.x
- Smeekens S., Riksen-Walraven J. M., Van Bakel H. J., & de Weerth C. (2010). Five year olds cortisol reactions to an attachment story completion task. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 35(6), 858-865. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2009.11.010
- Steele, M., Steele, H., Woolgar, M., Yabsley, S., Fonagy, P., Johnson, D., & Croft, C. (2003). An attachment perspective on children's emotion narratives: Links across generations. In R. N. Emde., D. P. Wolf., & D. Oppenheim. (Eds.), Revealing the inner would of young children. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Stern, D. N. (1992). The representation of relational patterns: Some developmental considerations. in A. Sameroff & R. N. Emde (Eds.), Relationship disorders in early childhood. New York. Basic Books.
- Tout, K., de Hann, M., Kipp-Campbell, E., & Gunnar, M. R. (1998). Social behavior correlates of adrenocortical activity in daycare: Gender differences and time-of-day effects. Child Development, 69(5), 1247-1262. https://doi.org/10.2307/1132263
- Warren, S, L., Oppenheim, D., & Emde, R. N. (1996). Can emotions and themes in children's play predict behavior problem? Journal of the America Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 36(5), 637-644.
- Watamura, S. E. (2007). 스트레스가 뇌에 미치는 영향. 삼성복지재단 제 15회 국제학술대회 건강한 환경, 유능한 어린이 자료집 (pp. 35-84).
- Wolf, D. P. (2003). Making meaning from emotional experience in early narratives. In R. N. Emde., D. P. Wolf., & D. Oppenheim. (Eds.). Revealing the inner worlds of young children (pp. 27-54). NY : Oxford University Press.
- Robinson, J. L., Oxford, M., Spieker, S., & Klute, M. M. (2006). Profiles of children's narrative reponses. Poster session presented at the Biennial Meeting of the World Association for Infant Mental Health Biennial Meeting, Paris, France.