- Volume 5 Issue 3
Bidding and contract systems are used for public construction projects to select contractors following fair competition principles and to execute national budgets effectively. Many challenges have arisen due to a lack of transparency and fairness and because bidding practices have been luck-based. Few comprehensive or comparative analyses have been conducted on the performance and limitations of bidding and contract systems, and empirical analyses designed to improve policies on and the practice of such systems are lacking. This study empirically analyzed current bidding and contract systems to seek ways of improving them. The study proposes several alternatives to resolve the problems with and irrationalities of the current system: 1) improving bidding and selection systems by changing them from a luck-based price competition into a technical merit- and value-based competition; 2) improving the assessment criteria to meet the current market level of bid and winning prices; 3) adjusting contractual responsibilities and sharing structures to meet the current trend; and 4) strengthening the competitiveness and expanding the social responsibility-based procurement systems of construction companies.
bidding and selection system;contract system;delivery method;public construction project
- I.H. Yu, K.R Kim, "A Selection Model of Suitable Tendering System for Public Construction Projects," Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 9, no. 3, Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management, pp. 164-174, 2008.
- J.D. Fernane, "Comparison of Design-Build and Design-Bid-Build Performance of Public University Projects," University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2011.
- J.D. Ryu, W.J. Choi, K.T. Lee, "Analysis and Improvement of Lowest Bidding System," Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 14, no. 4, Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management, pp. 47-52, 2013.
- J.S. Lee, S.W. Oh, Y.S. Lee, H.K. Chang, M.S. Choi, "Improvement Measures for Bidding System of Public Building Projects," Korean Ministry of Strategy and Finance, 2013.
- K.K. Park, T.M. Kim, C.D. Kim, J.H. Yu, "Analysis on Effects of Expansion of the Lowest Bidding System on Construction Industry and Public Sectors: using Casual Loop Diagram," Proceedings of the KICEM Annual Conference, Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management, pp. 267-272, 2007.
- R.W. Dorsey, "Project Delivery System for Building Construction," Virginia: Associated General Contractors of America, 1997
- S.H. Kim, D.Y. Kim, S.H. Park, S.M. Yeom, M.J. Chea, S.H. Han, "The Investigation and Performance Assessment of the Design-Build Projects in Korea," Proceedings of the KICEM Annual Conference, Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management, pp. 462-467, 2004.
- S.I. Kim, C.K. Chang, D.K. Park, Y. Bae, "Improvement of Architecture-Engineering Service Procurement System for Public Construction Project," Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 15, no. 5, Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management, pp. 61-70, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2014.15.5.061
- V.E. Sanvido, M.D. Konchar, "Project Delivery System; CM at Risk, Design-Build, Design-Bid-Build," Texas: Construction Industry Institute, 1998.
- Y. Lee, "Study on Rationalization of Bidding and Selection System," Korea Federation of Construction Contractors, 1995.
- Y.S. Lee, T.K. Kang, E.Y., Sin, W Park, M.S. Kim, T.H. Kim, "Study on Performance Analysis on Lowest Bidding System and Qualification Examination System and Their Improvement Measures," Korean Ministry of Strategy and Finance, 2013.
- Y.S. Lee, T.K. Kang, Y.H. Tae, B.R. Ahn, M.J. Chea, S.H. Beak, W. Park, "Study on Effect Analysis of Construction Projects by Bidding System and Technical Proposal Bidding Activation," Korean Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 2013.
Grant : Study on Performance Analyses of the Lowest-Bid System and Qualification Examination System and Improvement Measures, Study on the Effects of the Construction Project Bidding System and Technical Proposal Bidding System
Supported by : Ministry of Strategy and Finance, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport