- Volume 4 Issue 2
Objective: The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of treadmill gait training with patellar taping on gait abilities in chronic stroke patients. Design: Randomized controlled trial. Methods: Thirty chronic stroke patients who have been diagnosed at least six months or before were recruited in Gyeongin Rehabilitation Center Hospital, located in Incheon. Patients who were enrolled in this study were randomized to experimental group (n=15) or control group (n=15). Treadmill with patella taping training group patients were applied with patellar taping when they were being trained on a treadmill. Control group patients were being trained on a treadmill without any kind of taping. Gait parameters were measured with a GAITRite
- Mercier L, Audet T, Hebert R, Rochette A, Dubois MF. Impact of motor, cognitive, and perceptual disorders on ability to perform activities of daily living after stroke. Stroke 2001;32:2602-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/hs1101.098154
- Ozdemir F, Birtane M, Tabatabaei R, Ekuklu G, Kokino S. Cognitive evaluation and functional outcome after stroke. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2001;80:410-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200106000-00003
- Dean CM, Richards CL, Malouin F. Walking speed over 10 metres overestimates locomotor capacity after stroke. Clin Rehabil 2001;15:415-21. https://doi.org/10.1191/026921501678310216
- Visintin M, Barbeau H. The effects of parallel bars, body weight support and speed on the modulation of the locomotor pattern of spastic paretic gait. A preliminary communication. Paraplegia 1994;32:540-53. https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.1994.86
- Visintin M, Barbeau H, Korner-Bitensky N, Mayo NE. A new approach to retrain gait in stroke patients through body weight support and treadmill stimulation. Stroke 1998;29:1122-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.29.6.1122
- Barbeau H, Visintin M. Optimal outcomes obtained with bodyweight support combined with treadmill training in stroke subjects. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2003;84:1458-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00361-7
- Yavuzer G, Eser F, Karakus D, Karaoglan B, Stam HJ. The effects of balance training on gait late after stroke: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Rehabil 2006;20:960-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215506070315
- Srivastava A, Taly AB, Gupta A, Kumar S, Murali T. Post-stroke balance training: role of force platform with visual feedback technique. J Neurol Sci 2009;287:89-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2009.08.051
- Worms G, Matjacic Z, Gollee H, Cikajlo I, Goljar N, Hunt KJ. Dynamic balance training with sensory electrical stimulation in chronic stroke patients. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2006;1:2150-3.
- Dean CM, Channon EF, Hall JM. Sitting training early after stroke improves sitting ability and quality and carries over to standing up but not to walking: a randomised trial. Aust J Physiother 2007;53:97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(07)70042-9
- Verheyden G, Nieuwboer A, De Wit L, Thijs V, Dobbelaere J, Devos H, et al. Time course of trunk, arm, leg, and functional recovery after ischemic stroke. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2008; 22:173-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968307305456
- Lord SE, Rochester L, Weatherall M, McPherson KM, Mc- Naughton HK. The effect of environment and task on gait parameters after stroke: a randomized comparison of measurement conditions. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2006;87:967-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.03.003
- French B, Thomas LH, Leathley MJ, Sutton CJ, McAdam J, Forster A, et al. Repetitive task training for improving functional ability after stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007;(4): CD006073.
- Au-Yeung SS, Hui-Chan CW, Tang JC. Short-form Tai Chi improves standing balance of people with chronic stroke. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2009;23:515-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968308326425
- Flynn S, Palma P, Bender A. Feasibility of using the Sony Play- Station 2 gaming platform for an individual poststroke: a case report. J Neurol Phys Ther 2007;31:180-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0b013e31815d00d5
- Miller EW, Quinn ME, Seddon PG. Body weight support treadmill and overground ambulation training for two patients with chronic disability secondary to stroke. Phys Ther 2002;82:53-61. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/82.1.53
- Ivey FM, Hafer-Macko CE, Macko RF. Task-oriented treadmill exercise training in chronic hemiparetic stroke. J Rehabil Res Dev 2008;45:249-59. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2007.02.0035
- Brouwer B, Parvataneni K, Olney SJ. A comparison of gait biomechanics and metabolic requirements of overground and treadmill walking in people with stroke. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2009;24:729-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2009.07.004
- Hesse S, Bertelt C, Schaffrin A, Malezic M, Mauritz KH. Restoration of gait in nonambulatory hemiparetic patients by treadmill training with partial body-weight support. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1994;75:1087-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9993(94)90083-3
- Hesse S. Locomotor therapy in neurorehabilitation. Neuro- Rehabilitation 2001;16:133-9.
- Cools AM, Witvrouw EE, Danneels LA, Cambier DC. Does taping influence electromyographic muscle activity in the scapular rotators in healthy shoulders? Man Ther 2002;7:154-62. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.2002.0464
- McCaw ST, Cerullo JF. Prophylactic ankle stabilizers affect ankle joint kinematics during drop landings. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1999;31:702-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-199905000-00013
- Kilbreath SL, Perkins S, Crosbie J, McConnell J. Gluteal taping improves hip extension during stance phase of walking following stroke. Aust J Physiother 2006;52:53-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(06)70062-9
- Slupik A, Dwornik M, Bialoszewski D, Zych E. Effect of Kinesio taping on bioelectrical activity of vastus medialis muscle. Preliminary report. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil 2007;9: 644-51.
- Nyland JA, Ullery LR, Caborn DN. Medial patellar taping changes the peak plantar force location and timing of female basketball players. Gait Posture 2002;15:146-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(01)00145-X
- Brindle TJ, Mattacola C, McCrory J. Electromyographic changes in the gluteus medius during stair ascent and descent in subjects with anterior knee pain. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2003;11:244-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-003-0353-z
- Aminaka N, Gribble PA. A systematic review of the effects of therapeutic taping on patellofemoral pain syndrome. J Athl Train 2005;40:341-51.
- McConnell J. The management of chondromalacia patellae: a long term solution. Aust J Physiother 1986;32:215-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60654-1
- Pfeiffer RP, DeBeliso M, Shea KG, Kelley L, Irmischer B, Harris C. Kinematic MRI assessment of McConnell taping before and after exercise. Am J Sports Med 2004;32:621-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546503261693
- Yang YR, Tsai MP, Chuang TY, Sung WH, Wang RY. Virtual reality- based training improves community ambulation in individuals with stroke: a randomized controlled trial. Gait Posture 2008;28:201-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2007.11.007
- Ditor DS, Kamath MV, MacDonald MJ, Bugaresti J, McCartney N, Hicks AL. Effects of body weight-supported treadmill train ing on heart rate variability and blood pressure variability in individuals with spinal cord injury. J Appl Physiol (1985) 2005;98:1519-25. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.01004.2004
- van Uden CJ, Besser MP. Test-retest reliability of temporal and spatial gait characteristics measured with an instrumented walkway system (GAITRite). BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2004;5:13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-5-13
- McDonough AL, Batavia M, Chen FC, Kwon S, Ziai J. The validity and reliability of the GAITRite system's measurements: a preliminary evaluation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001;82:419-25. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.19778
- Lin PY, Yang YR, Cheng SJ, Wang RY. The relation between ankle impairments and gait velocity and symmetry in people with stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2006;87:562-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2005.12.042
- Carse B, Bowers R, Meadows BC, Rowe P. The immediate effects of fitting and tuning solid ankle-foot orthoses in early stroke rehabilitation. Prosthet Orthot Int 2015;39:454-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309364614538090
- Ernst GP, Kawaguchi J, Saliba E. Effect of patellar taping on knee kinetics of patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 1999;29:661-7. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.1681
- Crossley K, Cowan SM, Bennell KL, McConnell J. Patellar taping: is clinical success supported by scientific evidence? Man Ther 2000;5:142-50. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.2000.0354
- Allet L, Leemann B, Guyen E, Murphy L, Monnin D, Herrmann FR, et al. Effect of different walking aids on walking capacity of patients with poststroke hemiparesis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2009;90:1408-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2009.02.010
- Patterson KK, Parafianowicz I, Danells CJ, Closson V, Verrier MC, Staines WR, et al. Gait asymmetry in community-ambulating stroke survivors. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2008;89:304-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.08.142
- Brandstater ME, de Bruin H, Gowland C, Clark BM. Hemiplegic gait: analysis of temporal variables. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1983;64:583-7.
- Lewek MD, Feasel J, Wentz E, Brooks FP Jr, Whitton MC. Use of visual and proprioceptive feedback to improve gait speed and spatiotemporal symmetry following chronic stroke: a case series. Phys Ther 2012;92:748-56. https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20110206
- Patterson SL, Rodgers MM, Macko RF, Forrester LW. Effect of treadmill exercise training on spatial and temporal gait parameters in subjects with chronic stroke: a preliminary report. J Rehabil Res Dev 2008;45:221-8. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2007.02.0024
- Ada L, Dean CM, Hall JM, Bampton J, Crompton S. A treadmill and overground walking program improves walking in persons residing in the community after stroke: a placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2003;84:1486-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00349-6
- Manning CD, Pomeroy VM. Effectiveness of treadmill retraining on gait of hemiparetic stroke patients; systematic review of current literature. Physiotherapy 2003;89:337-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(05)60026-0
- Predictive validity of the gait scale in the Performance Oriented Mobility Assessment for stroke survivors: a retrospective cohort study vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14474/ptrs.2016.5.1.1