- Volume 4 Issue 2
Objective: To examine the effects of different shoe weights on lower leg muscle fatigue when walking by electromyographic (EMG) analysis due to the most effective weight for loading not being established. Design: Cross-sectional study. Methods: Thirty healthy university students (15 male, 15 female) were enrolled and randomly assigned into three conditions, which included wearing athletic shoes with an addition of 300 g, 500 g, and 1,000 g weights respectively. Prior to walking, all subjects were instructed to sit in a chair for 10 minutes. All subjects walked at a speed of 3.6 m/s on a treadmill for 20 minutes without rest. EMG measurements were taken using the median power frequency to assess for the effect of the different weight of shoes on muscle fatigue of the soleus, gastrocnemius, and tibialis anterior while walking on a treadmill in an upright posture. EMG measurements were taken during the first and last 30 seconds of walking. Results: In terms of muscle fatigue, for the soleus, the median power frequency was significantly lower with 1,000 g compared with 300 g and 500 g (p<0.05). For the tibialis anterior, the median power frequency was significantly lower with 1,000 g than 300 g and 500 g (p<0.05). For the gastrocnemius, the median power frequency was significantly lower with 1,000 g compared with 300 g (p<0.05). Conclusions: Increased shoe weight increases soleus, gastrocnemius, and tibialis anterior muscle fatigue during ambulation.
- Popkin BM, Adair LS, Ng SW. Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries. Nutr Rev 2012;70:3-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00456.x
- Tudor-Locke C, Craig CL, Brown WJ, Clemes SA, De Cocker K, Giles-Corti B, et al. How many steps/day are enough? For adults. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2011;8:79. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-79
- Chao EY, Rim K. Application of optimization principles in determining the applied moments in human leg joints during gait. J Biomech 1973;6:497-510. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(73)90008-0
- Perry J. Gait analysis: normal and pathological function. Thorofare, NJ: Slack; 1992. p. 413-22.
- Helbostad JL, Moe-Nilssen R. The effect of gait speed on lateral balance control during walking in healthy elderly. Gait Posture 2003;18:27-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(02)00197-2
- Ramstrand N, Thuesen AH, Nielsen DB, Rusaw D. Effects of an unstable shoe construction on balance in women aged over 50 years. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2010;25:455-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2010.01.014
- Son H, Kim K. A kinematic analysis of patients with knee osteoarthritis during gait on level ground, ramps and stairs. J Phys Ther Sci 2013;25:277-80. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.25.277
- VanSwearingen JM, Perera S, Brach JS, Cham R, Rosano C, Studenski SA. A randomized trial of two forms of therapeutic activity to improve walking: effect on the energy cost of walking. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2009;64:1190-8.
- Bosco C, Saggini R, Viru A. The influence of different floor stiffness on mechanical efficiency of leg extensor muscle. Ergonomics 1997;40:670-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/001401397187964
- Kim TW, Kim JT. Analysis of muscle powers according to different walking speeds in obese and normal people. Korean J Sport Sci 2007;18:497-510.
- Fong DT, Hong Y, Li JX. Cushioning and lateral stability functions of cloth sport shoes. Sports Biomech 2007;6:407-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/14763140701491476
- Wezenberg D, de Haan A, van Bennekom CA, Houdijk H. Mind your step: metabolic energy cost while walking an enforced gait pattern. Gait Posture. 2011;33:544-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2011.01.007
- Sekizawa K, Sandrey MA, Ingersoll CD, Cordova ML. Effects of shoe sole thickness on joint position sense. Gait Posture. 2001; 13:221-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(01)00099-6
- Murley GS, Landorf KB, Menz HB. Do foot orthoses change lower limb muscle activity in flat-arched feet towards a pattern observed in normal-arched feet? Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2010;25:728-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2010.05.001
- Nigg B, Hintzen S, Ferber R. Effect of an unstable shoe construction on lower extremity gait characteristics. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2006;21:82-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2005.08.013
- Romkes J, Rudmann C, Brunner R. Changes in gait and EMG when walking with the Masai Barefoot Technique. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2006;21:75-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2005.08.003
- Gwak CS. Effects of shoe weight and midsole hardness of running shoes on running economy and its application. Korean J Phys Educ 2001;40:955-73.
- Gwak CS, Lee GS, Kim HS. Effects of shoe weights on the walking economy. Korean J Phys Educ 2003;42:677-86.
- Chung HK. The changes of joint moments according to weight loading gait on normal adults. J Korean Acad Phys Ther 2003; 10:53-61.
- Cheung JT, Zhang M, An KN. Effects of plantar fascia stiffness on the biomechanical responses of the ankle-foot complex. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2004;19:839-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2004.06.002
- Hong Y, Li JX, Fong DT. Effect of prolonged walking with backpack loads on trunk muscle activity and fatigue in children. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2008;18:990-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2007.06.013
- Hermens HJ, Freriks B, Disselhorst-Klug C, Rau G. Development of recommendations for SEMG sensors and sensor placement procedures. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2000;10:361-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(00)00027-4
- Seo YW, Lee HJ, Yun KE, Park HS. Energy intake and resting energy expenditure of middle-aged obese korean women. Korean J Obes 2009;18:31-7.
- Long JT, Klein JP, Sirota NM, Wertsch JJ, Janisse D, Harris GF. Biomechanics of the double rocker sole shoe: gait kinematics and kinetics. J Biomech 2007;40:2882-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2007.03.009
- Vanderpool MT, Collins SH, Kuo AD. Ankle fixation need not increase the energetic cost of human walking. Gait Posture 2008; 28:427-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2008.01.016
- Boozari S, Jamshidi AA, Sanjari MA, Jafari H. Effect of functional fatigue on vertical ground-reaction force in individuals with flat feet. J Sport Rehabil 2013;22:177-83. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.22.3.177
- Kim UG. The effects of cardiorespiratory response and energy economy to walking exercise with added shoe weight, and to verify the shoe weight and walking economy. Korea Sport Res 2005; 16:155-64.