- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
BGRcast: A Disease Forecast Model to Support Decision-making for Chemical Sprays to Control Bacterial Grain Rot of Rice
Lee, Yong Hwan;Ko, Sug-Ju;Cha, Kwang-Hong;Park, Eun Woo
- Received : 2015.07.13
- Accepted : 2015.08.22
- Published : 2015.12.01
A disease forecast model for bacterial grain rot (BGR) of rice, which is caused by Burkholderia glumae, was developed in this study. The model, which was named 'BGRcast', determined daily conduciveness of weather conditions to epidemic development of BGR and forecasted risk of BGR development. All data that were used to develop and validate the BGRcast model were collected from field observations on disease incidence at Naju, Korea during 1998-2004 and 2010. In this study, we have proposed the environmental conduciveness as a measure of conduciveness of weather conditions for population growth of B. glumae and panicle infection in the field. The BGRcast calculated daily environmental conduciveness,
BGRcast;chemical control;environmental conduciveness;rice bacterial grain rot;weather-driven disease forecast model
- Andrea, Q.-G. and Fernando, G.-S. 2014. Burkholderia glumae in the rice crop in Costa Rica. Agron. Mesoam 25:371-381. https://doi.org/10.15517/am.v25i2.15452
- Azegami, K., Nishiyama, K., Watanabe, Y., Kadota, I., Ohuchi, A. and Fukazawa, C. 1987. Pseudomonas plantarii sp. nov., the causal agent of rice seedling blight. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 37:144-152. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-37-2-144
- Cha, K. H., Lee, Y. H., Ko, S. J., Park, S. K. and Park, I. J. 2001. Influence of weather condition at heading period on the development of rice bacterial grain rot caused by Burkholderia glumae. Res. Plant Dis. 7:150-154 (in Korean).
- Goto, T. and Ohata, K. 1956. New bacterial diseases of rice (brown stripe and grain rot). Ann. Phytopathol. Soc. Jpn. 21:46-47 (in Japanese).
- Ham, J. H., Melanson, R. A. and Rush, M. C. 2010. Burkholderia glumae: next major pathogen of rice? Mol. Plant Pathol. 12:329-339.
- Hikichi, Y. 1993a. Mode of action of oxolinic acid against bacterial seedling rot of rice caused by Pseudomonas glumae. I. Relationship between population dynamics of P. glumae on seedlings of rice and disease severity of bacterial seedling rot of rice. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jpn. 59:441-446. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.59.441
- Hikichi, Y. 1993b. Mode of action of oxolinic acid against bacterial seedling rot of rice caused by Pseudomonas glumae. II. Efficacy of oxolinic acid against secondary infection. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jpn. 59:447-451. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.59.447
- Hikichi, Y. 1993c. Relationship between population dynamics of Pseudomonas glumae on rice plants and disease severity of bacterial grain rot. J. Pesticide Sci. 18:319-324. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.18.4_319
- Hikichi, Y. and Egami, H. 1995. Control system for bacterial grain rot of rice with oxolinic acid and seed selection with salt solution. Ann. Phytopathol. Soc. Jpn. 61:405-409 (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.61.405
- Hikichi, Y., Egami, H., Oguri, Y. and Okuno, T. 1998. Fitness for survival of Burkholderia glumae resistant to oxolinic acid in rice plants. Ann. Phytopathol. Soc. Jpn. 64:147-152. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.64.147
- Hikichi, Y., Okuno, T. and Furusawa, I. 1993. Immunofluorescent antibody technique for detecting Pseudomonas glumae on rice plants. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jap. 59:477-480 (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.59.477
- Hikichi, Y., Okuno, T. and Furusawa, I. 1994. Susceptibility of rice spikelets to infection with Pseudomonas glumae and its population dynamics. J. Pesticide Sci. 19:11-17. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.19.11
- Hikichi, Y., Okuno, T. and Furusawa, I. 1995. Mode of action of oxolinic acid against bacterial seedling rot or rice caused by Pseudomonas glumae. III. Infection with P. glumae into plumules. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jpn. 61:134-136. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.61.134
- Isogawa, Y., Kato, S. and Li, S. H. 1989. Studies on environmental factors and control methods of bacterial grain rot of rice caused by Pseudomonas glumae Kurita and Tabei. II. Chemical control methods. Res. Bull. Aichi-ken Agric. Res. Center 21:85-90 (in Japanese).
- Jeong, Y., Kim, J., Kim, S., Kang, Y., Nagamatsu, T. and Hwang, I. 2003. Toxoflavin produced by Burkholderia glumae causing rice grain rot is responsible for inducing bacterial wilt in many field crops. Plant Dis. 87:890-895. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.2003.87.8.890
- Jolliffe, I. T. and Stephenson, D. B. 2003. Forecast verification: A practitioner's guide in atmorspheric science. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, England. pp. 240.
- KCPA. 2014. Agrochemicals use guide.edited by Korea Crop Protection Association. Samjung Publication, Seoul, Korea (in Korean).
- Kim, J., Kang, Y., Kim, J.-G., Choi, O. and Hwang, I. 2010. Occurrence of Burkholderia glumae on rice and field crops in Korea. Plant Pathol. J. 26:271-272. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2010.26.3.271
- Kurita, T. and Tabei, H. 1967. On the causal bacterium of grain rot of rice. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jap. 33:111 (in Japanese).
- Lee, C. W. 2010. Heading, flowering and fertilization. In: Rice, eds. by Koean Research Society of Rice, pp. 207-214. KNOU-PRESS, Seoul, Korea (in Korean).
- Lee, Y. H., Ko, S. J., Cha, K. H., Choi, H. G., Lee, D. G., Noh, T. H., Lee, S. D. and Han, S.-S. 2004. Micro-weather factors during rice heading period influencing the development of rice bacterial grain rot. Res. Plant Dis. 10:167-174 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2004.10.3.167
- Lee, Y. H., Ra, D.-S., Yeh, W.-H., Choi, H.-W., Myung, I.-S., Lee, S.-W., Lee, Y.-H., Han, S.-S. and Shim, H. S. 2010. Survey of major disease incidence of rice in Korea during 1999-2008. Res. Plant Dis. 16:183-190 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2010.16.2.183
- Luo, J., Xie, B. and Lilhui, X. 2007. First report of Burkholderia glumae isolated from symptomless rice seeds in China. Plant Dis. 91:1363.
- Mizobuchi, R., Sato, H., Fukuoka, S., Tanabata, T., Tsushima, S., Imbe, T. and Yano, M. 2013. Mapping a quantitative trait locus for resistance to bacterial grain rot in rice. Rice 6:13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1939-8433-6-13
- Mogi, S. and Tsushima, S. 1984. Recent epidemic development and ecology of bacterial grain rot of rice. Annu. Rep. Kyushu Agr. Expt. Station 22:47-53 (in Japanese).
- Moldenhauer, K. and Slaton, N. 2001. Rice growth and development. In: Rice Production Handbook. Misc. Publ. 192, eds. by N.A. Slaton, pp. 7-14. Coop. Ext. Service, University of Arkansas, Little Rock, USA.
- Nandakumar, R., Shahiahan, A. K. M., Yuan, X. L., Dickstein, E. R., Groth, D. E., Clark, C. A., Catwright, R. D. and Rush, M. C. 2009. Burkholderia glumae and B. gladioli cause bacterial panicle blight in rice in the southern United States. Plant Dis. 93:896-905. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-93-9-0896
- Oldeman, L. R., Seshu, D. V. and Cady, F. B. 1987. Response of rice to weather variables. In: Weather and rice, pp 5-39. IRRI, Laguna, Philippines.
- Pinson, S. R. M., Shahjahan, A. K. M., Rush, M. C. and Groth, D. E. 2010. Bacterial panicle blight resistance QTLs in rice and their association with other disease resistance loci and heading date. Crop Sci. 50:1287-1297. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2008.07.0447
- Riera-Ruiz, C., Vargas, J., Cedeno, C., Quirola, P., Escobar, M., Cevallos-Cevallos, J. M., Ratti, M. and Peralta, E. L. 2014. First report of Burkholderia glumae causing bacterial panicle blight on rice in Ecuador. Plant Dis. 98:988-989.
- Sayler, R. J., Cartwright, R. D. and Yang, Y. N. 2006. Genetic characterization and real-time PCR detection of Burkholderia glumae, a newly emerging bacterial pathogen of rice in the United States. Plant Dis. 90:603-610. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-90-0603
- Shahjahan, A. K. M., Rush, M. C., Groth, D. and Clark, C. A. 2000. Panicle blight. Rice J. 15:26-29.
- Sokal, R. R. and Rohlf, F. J. 1973. Introduction to biostatistics. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco. 368 pp.
- Takashi, H. and Hideo, I. 2013. Chemical control of plant diseases. J. Gen. Plant Pathol. 79:390-401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10327-013-0470-6
- Trung, H. M., Van, N. V., Vien, N. V., Lam, D. T. and Lien, M. 1993. Occurrence of rice grain rot disease in Vietnam. Int. Rice Res. Notes 18:30.
- Tsushima, S. 1996. Epidemiology of bacterial grain rot of rice caused by Pseudomonas glumae. Jap. Agric. Res. Q. 30:85-89.
- Tsushima, S., Mogi, S., Naito, H. and Saito, H. 1991. Population of Pseudomonas glumae on rice plants. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jap. 57:145-152. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.57.145
- Tsushima, S., Mogi, S. and Sato, H. 1985. Effect of inoculum density, incubation temperature and incubation period on the development of rice bacterial grain rot. Proc. Assoc. P1. Prot. Kyushu 31:11-12 (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.4241/kyubyochu.31.11
- Tsushima, S. and Naito, H. 1991. Spatial distribution and dissemination of bacterial gain rot of rice caused by Pseudomonas glumae. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jap. 57:180-187. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.57.180
- Tsushima, S., Naito, H. and Koitabashi, M. 1995a. Change in panicle susceptibility associated with flowering rate of spikelets in bacterial grain rot of rice caused by Pseudomonas glumae. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jpn. 61:109-113. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.61.109
- Tsushima, S., Naito, H. and Koitabashi, M. 1995b. Forecast of yield loss suffered from bacterial grain rot of rice in paddy fields by severely diseased panicles. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jpn. 61:419-424. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.61.419
- Tsushima, S., Naito, H. and Koitabashi, M. 1996. Population dynamics of Pseudomonas glumae, the causal agent of bacterial grain rot of rice, on leaf sheaths of rice plant in relation to disease development in the field. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Jpn. 62:108-113. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.62.108
- Urakami, T., Ito-Yoshida, C., Araki, H., Kijima, T., Suzuki, K. I. and Komagata, K. 1994. Transfer of Pseudomonas plantarii and Pseudomonas glumae to Burkholderia as Burkholderia spp. and description of Burkholderia vandii sp. nov. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 44:235-245. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-44-2-235
- Yokoyama, T. and Okuhara, K. 1987. Relationship between the occurrence of rice bacterial grain rot and meteorological conditions and cultivars of rice. Proc. Assoc. Pl. Prot. Kyushu 33:4-8 (in Japnases). https://doi.org/10.4241/kyubyochu.33.4
- Effects of Interrupted Wetness Periods on Conidial Germination, Germ Tube Elongation and Infection Periods of Botryosphaeria dothidea Causing Apple White Rot vol.32, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.OA.07.2015.0131