- Volume 31 Issue 4
Carrot (Dacus carota var. sativus) is one of the top-ten most economically important vegetable crops produced worldwide, and the root-knot nematodes, Meloidogyne spp., are one of the most important pests in the carrot. In Korea, M. hapla and M. incognita are presumed to be the major root-knot nematodes distributing mostly in open carrot fields and greenhouses, respectively. In our study, currently-developed and commercial carrot cultivars and the parental lines were examined for their pathological responses to M. incognita and M. hapla 7 weeks after inoculation with about 1,000 second-stage juveniles (J2) of the nematodes. All the carrot cultivars and lines showed susceptible responses to both nematodes with the gall index (GI) of 2.4-4.4, which were always higher on the carrot plants infected with M. incognita than M. hapla. Gall sizes were remarkably larger with more serious reduction of the root growths in the plants infected with M. incognita than M. hapla, suggesting the carrot lines examined in our study were more susceptible to the former than the latter. In the infection sites of the root tissues, giant cells were more extensively formed, occupying larger stellar regions with the prominent destruction of adjacent xylem vessels by M. incognita than M. hapla. All of these results suggest M. incognita affect more seriously on the carrot plants that are grown in greenhouses, compared to M. hapla that has a major distribution in open carrot fields, which would be used for determining cropping systems based on target nematode species, their damage and pathological characteristics.
carrot;gall formation;giant cell;Meloidogyne spp.;pathological responses
- Anwar, S. A. and McKenry, M. V. 2010. Incidence and reproduction of Meloidogyne incognita on vegetable crop genotypes. Pakistan J. Zool. 42:135-141.
- Baker, K. R. 1985. Nematode extractions and bioassays. In: An advanced treatise on Meloidogyne. Vol. II. Methodology, eds. by K.R. Baker, C.C. Carter, and J.N. Sasser, pp. 19-35. North Carolina State University, NC, USA.
- Bridge, J. and Starr, J. L. 2007. Plant nematodes of agricultural importance: A color handbook. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Chakraborty, S., Tiedemann, A. V. and Teng, P. S. 2000. Climate change: Potential impact on plant disease. Environ. Pollut. 108:317-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(99)00210-9
- Chitwood, D. J. 2003. Research on plant-parasitic nematode biology conducted by the United States Department of Agriculture - Agricultural Research Services. Pest Manag. Sci. 59:748-753. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.684
- Davis, R. M. 2004. Carrot diseases and their management. In: Diseases of Fruits and Vegetables Vol. 1, ed. by S.A.M.H. Naqvi, pp. 297-440. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- Harris, J. A., Hobbs, R. J., Higgs, E. and Aronson, J. 2006. Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restor. Ecol. 14:170-176. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.2006.00136.x
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Climate change. In: Synthesis report. Contribution of working group I, II, and III to the fourth assessment of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, eds. by R.K. Pachauri and A. Reisinger. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Hunter, A. H. 1958. Nutrient absorption and translocation of phosphorus as influenced by the root knot nematode (Meloidogyne incognita acrita). Soil Sci. 86:245-250. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-195811000-00003
- Hussey, R. S. 1985. Host-parasite relationships and associated physiological changes. In: An advanced treatise on Meloidogyne. Vol. I. Biology and control, eds. by J.N. Sasser and C.C. Carter, pp. 143-154. North Carolina State University, NC, USA.
- Johnson, A. W. and Fassuliotis, G. 1984. Nematode parasites of vegetable crops. In: Plant and insect nematodes, ed. by W.R. Nickle, pp. 323-327. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, N. Y., USA.
- Kim, D. G. 2001. Occurrence of root-knot nematodes on fruit vegetables under greenhouse conditions in Korea. Res. Plant Dis. 7:69-79 (in Korean).
- Kim, D. G. and Choi, S. K. 2001. Effects of incorporation method of nematicides on reproduction of Meloidogyne arenaria. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 40:89-95 (in Korean).
- Kim, D. G., Choi, D. R. and Lee, S. B. 2001a. Effects of control methods on yields of Oriental melon in fields infested with Meloidogyne arenaria. Res. Plant. Dis. 7:42-48 (in Korean).
- Kim, D. G., Lee, Y. G. and Park, B. Y. 2001b. Root-knot nematode species distributing in greenhouses and their simple identification. Res. Plant Dis. 7:49-55 (in Korean).
- Kinloch, R. A. and Hinson, K. 1972. The Florida program for evaluating soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.) genotypes for susceptibility to root-knot nematode disease. Proc. Soil Crop Sci. Florida 32:173-176.
- Korean Society of Plant Pathology. 2009. List of plant diseases in Korea, 5th ed. Korean Society of Plant Pathology, Suwon, Korea.
- Mai, W. F. 1985. Plant-parasitic nematodes: their threat to agriculture. In: An advanced treatise on Meloidogyne. Vol. I. Biology and control, eds. by J. N. Sasser and C.C. Carter, pp. 11-18. North Carolina State University, NC, USA.
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea. 2012. Food, agriculture, forestry and fisheries statistic yearbook 2012. Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- Mitkowski, N. A. and G. S. Abawi. 2003. Root-knot nematodes. The Plant Health Instructor. DOI:10.1094/PHI-I-2003-0917-01 https://doi.org/10.1094/PHI-I-2003-0917-01
- Moon, H. S., Khan, Z., Kim, S. G., Son, S. H. and Kim, Y. H. 2010. Biological and structural mechanisms of disease development and resistance in chili pepper infected with the rootknot nematode. Plant Pathol. J. 26:149-153. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2010.26.2.149
- Oka, Y., Koltai, H., Bar-Eyal, M., Mor, M., Sharon, E. and Spiegel, Y. 2000. New strategies for the control of plant-parasitic nematodes. Pest Manag. Sci. 56:983-988. https://doi.org/10.1002/1526-4998(200011)56:11<983::AID-PS233>3.0.CO;2-X
- Park, J., Seo, Y. and Kim, Y. H. 2014. Biological control of Meloidogyne hapla using an antagonistic bacterium. Plant Pathol. J. 31:288-298.
- Raymundo, S. A. 1985. Cropping systems research and root-knot nematode control. In: An advanced treatise on Meloidogyne. Vol. I. Biology and control, eds. by J.N. Sasser and C.C. Carter, pp. 277-282. North Carolina State University, NC, USA.
- Rhoades, H. L. 1976. Effects of Indigofera hirsuta on Belonolaimus longicaudatus, Meloidogyne incognita, and M. javanica and subsequent crop yield. Plant Dis. Reptr. 60:384-386.
- Roberts, P. A. 1987. The influence of planting date of carrot on Meloidogyne incognita reproduction and injury to roots. Nematologica 33:325-342.
- Sardanelli, S., Krusberg, L. R. and Kantzes, J. G. 1983. Plant parasitic nematodes in Maryland. Fact Sheet 381. Univ. of MD Coop. Ext., Univ. of Maryland. College Park, MD, USA.
- Sasser, J. N. and Carter, C. C. 1985. Overview of the International Meloidogyne Project 1975-1984. In: An advanced treatise on Meloidogyne. Vol. I. Biology and control, eds. by J.N. Sasser and C.C. Carter, pp. 9-24. North Carolina State University, NC, USA.
- Sasser, J. N., Carter, C. C. and Hartman, K. M. 1984. Standardization of host suitability studies and reporting of resistance to root-knot nematodes. Crop Nematode Research Control Project, NCSU/USAID. Department of Plant Pathology, NCSU, Raleigh, NC, USA.
- Seo, Y., Park, J., Kim, Y. S., Park, Y. and Kim, Y. H. 2014. Screening and histopathological characterization of Korean carrot lines for resistance to the root-knot nematode Meloidogyne incognita. Plant Pathol. J. 31:75-81.
- Shepherd, R. L. and Huck, M. G. 1989. Progression of root-knot nematode symptoms and infection on resistant and susceptible cottons. J. Nematol. 21:235-241.
- Siroka, R. A. and Fernandez, E. 1990. Nematode parasites of vegetables. In: Plant parasitic nematodes in subtropical and tropical agriculture, eds. by M.R. Luc, A. Siroka, and J. Bridge, pp. 319-392. CAB Bioscience, Egham, UK.
- Son, S. H., Khan, Z., Kim, S. G. and Kim, Y. H. 2008. Effects of seed treatment with rhizobacterium, Paenibacillus species on management of root-knot nematode-Fusarium wilt fungus disease complex in tomato plants. Russ. J. Nematol. 16:97-105.
- Southey, J. F. 1986. Laboratory methods for work with plant and soil nematodes. Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food, HMSO, London, UK.
- Spurr, A. R. 1969. A low viscosity epoxy resin embedding medium for electron microscopy. J. Ultrastr. Res. 26:31-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5320(69)90033-1
Grant : 뿌리혹선충 저항성 고품질 당근 계통 육성 및 중국수출용 1대 잡종 품종 개발