- Volume 37 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of mechanical properties of all ceramic crown on zirconia blocks
지르코니아 블록 종류에 따른 전부도재관의 기계적 특성 비교
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.09.10
- Published : 2015.09.30
Purpose: This study provided the basic data for selecting the zirconia blocks by comparing the mechanical properties of the all ceramic crown between the domestic, import, translucent and shade blocks that were used in clinically. Methods: Currently, the most commercial block of five types(one import and two domestic block which is the translucent and shade) were used. It were elucidated by means of three point bending test, hardness test, FE-SEM observations and EDX analysis. The results were analyzed using a one-way ANOVA and Scheffe post hoc test for significant findings. Results: For flexural strength, LT specimen was the highest as 733.1 MPa, followed by JT specimen(712.0 MPa), ZT specimen(646.0 MPa), LS specimen(553.1 MPa), JS specimen(429.0 MPa). One-way ANOVA showed statistically significant difference between groups for flexural strength(p<0.05). For hardness, ZT specimen was the highest as 1556.5 Hv, followed by JT specimen(1540.3 Hv), LT specimen(1512.3 Hv), JS specimen(1472.0 Hv), LS specimen(1353.3 Hv). One-way ANOVA showed statistically significant difference between groups for hardness(p<0.05). Conclusion: Domestic block was higher than import block for flexural strength, and translucent block was higher than shade block for flexural strength. However, all blocks showed clinically acceptable range. There was no significant difference in hardness between domestic and import blocks. And significant difference was observed in translucent and shade blocks.
zirconia block;flexural strength;hardness;FE-SEM;EDX
- Tinschert J, Natt G, Mautsch W, Spiekermann H, Anusavice KJ. Marginal fit of alumina-and zirconia-based fixed partial dentures produced by a CAD/CAM system. Oper Dent, 26(4), 367-374, 2001.
- Vagkopoulou T, Koutayas SO, Koidis P, Strub JR. Zirconia in dentistry: Part 1. Discovering the nature of an upcoming bioceramic. Euro J Esthetic Dent, 4(2), 130-151, 2009.
- Balak Z, Zakeri M, Rahimipur MR, Salahi E, Nasiri H. Effect of open porosity on flexural strength and hardness of ZrB2-based composites. Ceram Int, 41(7), 8312-8319, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2015.02.143
- Ban S, Anusavice KJ. Influence of test method on failure stress of brittle dental materials. J Dent Res, 69(12), 1791-1799, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345900690120201
- Denry I, Kelly JR. State of the art of zirconia for dental applications. Dent Mater, 24(3), 299-307, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2007.05.007
- Guazzato M, Albakry M, Simon PR, Swain MV. Strength, fracture toughness and microstructure of a selection of all-ceramic materials. Part II. Zirconia-based dental ceramics. Dent Mater. 20(5), 449-456, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2003.05.002
- Guazzato M, Quach L, Albakry M, Swain MV. Influence of surface and heat treatments on the flexural strength of Y-TZP dental ceramic. J Dent, 33(1), 9-18, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.07.001
- Jung HK, Kwak DJ. The study of flexural strength of full zirconia crown using block after clinical work. J Kor Aca Den Tec, 33(4), 283-289, 2011.
- Kelly JR, Campbell SD, Bowen HK. Fracturesurface analysis of dental ceramics. J Prosthet Dent, 62(5), 536-541, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(89)90075-9
- Komine F, Tomic M, Gerds T, Strub JR. Influence of different adhesive resin cements on the fracture strength of aluminum oxide ceramic posterior crowns. J Prosthet Dent, 92(4), 359-364, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.07.018
- Kosmac T, Oblak C, Jevnikar P, Funduk N, Marion L. The effect of surface grinding and sandblasting on flexural strength and reliability of Y-TZP zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater, 15(6), 426-433, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(99)00070-6
- Lawn BR, Deng Y, Thompson VP. Use of contact testing in the characterization and design of all-ceramic crownlike layer structures: A review. J Prosthet Dent, 86(5), 495-510, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2001.119581
- Lee JS. A study on the flexural strength of zirconia CAD/CAM block. J Kor Aca Den Tec, 30(2), 65-69, 2008.
- Powers JM, Sakaguchi RL. Craig's Restorative Dental Materials. 12th ed, St Louis: Mosby Elsevier, 79, 2006.
- Aboushelib MN, Kleverlaan CJ, Feilzer AJ. Effect of zirconia type on its bond strength with different veneer ceramics. J Prosthodont, 17(5), 401-408, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.2008.00306.x
- Albakry M, Guazzato M, Swain MV. Biaxial flexural strength, elastic moduli, and x-ray diffraction characterization of three pressable all-ceramic materials. J Prosthet Dent, 89(4), 374-380, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2003.42
- Pulgarin HLC, Albano MP. Sintering, microstructure and hardness of different alumina-zirconia composites. Ceram Int, 40(4), 5289-5298, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2013.10.102
- Rice RW, Wu CC, Boichelt F. Hardness-grain-size relations in ceramics. J Am Ceram Soc, 77(10), 2539-2553, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1994.tb04641.x
- Ruiz L, Readey MJ. Effect of heat-treatment on grain size, phase assemblage, and mechanical properties of 3 mol% Y-TZP. J Am Ceram Soc, 79(9), 2331-2340,1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1996.tb08980.x
- Swab JJ. Low temperature degradation of Y-TZP materials. Journal of Materials Science, 26(24), 6706-6714, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02402664