- Volume 37 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on the Oral Health Behavior of Students in the Department of Dental Laboratory Technology
일부 치기공과 학생의 구강보건행태에 관한 연구
- Lee, Ju-Hee (Department of Dental Laboratory Technology, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology) ;
- Hwang, Jae-Sun (Department of Dental Laboratory Technology, Dongnam Health Sciences College)
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.09.07
- Published : 2015.09.30
Purpose: This study studied and investigated the oral health behavior of students in the Department of Dental Technology at D College at D City. Methods: A self-administrated survey was conducted by students currently enrolled at the Department of Dental Laboratory Technology at D College (June 4, 2015 ~ June 12, 2015), and 320 copies that were available for statistical processing were statistically analyzed by using the SPSS 19.0 Program. Results: Among the survey respondents, 91.6% had experience of dental treatment. The highest response regarding the frequency of tooth brushing appeared to be 'twice' with 44.7%. The responses regarding the time of tooth brushing appeared to be highest for 'before sleeping' with 65.3%, which was followed by 'after breakfast' with 60.6%. To the question asking which areas are brushed during tooth brushing, the response of 'teeth, gum, and tongue' appeared to be highest with 44.4%. Among the respondents, 64.7% experienced scaling, however, the experience rate for scaling appeared to increase in proportion with the increase of class year (p< .001). Regarding the subjective feel for the importance of oral health and necessity of tooth brushing, the scores appeared to be both 4.56. However, the score appeared to be 3.27 regarding one's subjective perception of one's own oral health condition. Regarding one's subjective oral health knowledge level depending on gender, female students showed a meaningfully lower rate (3.12 points) compared to male students (3.29 points) (p< .05), and depending on class, the knowledge level appeared to be meaningfully higher along with the increase in class year (p< .001). The experience of receiving oral health education appeared to be 78.4%, and 88.8% of the respondents responded that there is need for oral health education, however, the intent to participate in an oral health education program appeared to be 56.6%. Conclusion: As a result of the study, it could be concluded that oral health management behaviors and awareness of the students at the Department of Dental Technology at D University to prevent oral diseases were rather poor.
- Gwon HS, Lee SS, Lee MO and others. Oral Health Education. Cheonggu Munhwasa, 16. 2003.
- Han GH, Kim JH. Gender Difference in the Interaction with Family and Work. Korean Journal of Sociology, 37(3), 57-83, 2003.
- Jang KA. A study on the awareness of oral health behavior and oral health education for a middle schools and high schools in Busan, Gyeongnam province. Dental Hygiene Education, 8(1), 107-118, 2008.
- Jeoung SH. Health Colleg Students'Dental Health Behaviors, masters thesis of Wonkwang University. 22, 2006.
- Ji MG. An investigation on the actual status of oral health care and perceptions of oral health among the under graduates of Scollege of education in Cheongju-si. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education, 7(4), 569-582, 2007.
- Jung HY, Jung MA. A Study on the State of Oral Health Care among Military Men: the cade of the army and the navy. J Korean Soc. Hygienic Sciences, 13(1), 43-59, 2007.
- Kim JB, Choi Yu jin, Mun Hyeok su and 7 others. Clinical Public Health Dentistry. Gomunsa, 85-159, 2000.
- Kim JS, Kim CJ, Mun OR and 8 others. General Health Science. Seoul National University Publishing Department , 67-60. 1994.
- Kim SH, Ku IY, Heo HY, Park IS. A study on the awareness of oral health education for senior high schools. Dental Hygiene Education, 7(2), 105-113, 2007.
- Kim YI. A study on the health science college students'dental health behaviors. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education, 8(1), 23-35, 2008.
- Lee GR, Kim JY. A study on the recognition of oral health care: high school students in Ulsan city. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education, 5(1), 53-62, 2005.
- Lee JS, Lee HS. The Oral Health Behavior and its Related Factor in Korean University Students. J Korean Acad Dent Health, 28(3), 331-346, 2004.
- Lee JH, Cho MS. A Study of Oral Health Care Pattern of the Industrial Workers in Ulsan Metropolitan City. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 6(2), 15-23, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.2.015
- Lee MY, Yoo JH. A Study on the Oral Health and Oral-Health Care of Some Health-Related and Health-Unrelated Majors. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education, 8(4), 141-151, 2008.
- Lee SH, Park IS. A Study on the Use of Oral Health Care Devices and the Oral Hygiene in some Colleges. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrials cooperation Society, 12(6), 2629-2635, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.6.2629
- Mun SJ, Chung WG, Kim NH. Changes in daily tooth brushing frequency among Korean adults from 2000 to 2006. J Korean Acad Dent Health, 33(2), 183-191, 2009.
- Roh SI. Recognition for the health of the mouth and behaviors on some of university students. Masters thesis of Daegu Haany University, 6,40, 2009.
- Yu MS, Goo KM, Kim YJ. A study on the oral health recognition and oral health education for man high school students. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education, 9(2), 89-98, 2009.