- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of surface roughness of heat-polymerized denture base resin according to the polishing step
연마 과정에 따른 열중합 의치상 레진의 표면 거칠기 평가
- Received : 2015.09.14
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2015.12.30
Purpose: The objective of this study was to compare the surface roughness according to polishing process in conventional laboratory techniques used for polishing three different acrylic denture base resins. Materials and methods: Specimen preparation and surface polishing procedures were conducted to manufacturer's recommendation with three heat-polymerized denture base resins. Surface roughness and gloss were measured by a contact type tester and a LED gloss checker using thickness 2 mm and diameter 10 mm. There were five specimens for each acrylic resin material and polishing procedures. Mean average surface roughness (Ra) values of each specimen group were analyzed using a one-way ANOVA analysis of variance and Scheffe's post hoc test. Surfaces after surface roughness and gloss testing according to each polishing process were evaluated under a stereoscopic microscope. Results: The highest mean average surface roughness was measured(
Surface roughness;Heat-curing denture base resin;Polishing step;Gloss;Correlation
- Abuzar MA, Bellur S, Duong N, Kim BB, Lu P, Palfreyman N et al. Evaluating surface roughness of a polyamide denture base material in comparison with poly (methyl methacrylate). J Oral Sci, 52(4), 577-581, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.52.577
- Al-Kheraif AA. The effect of mechanical and chemical polishing techniques on the surface roughness of heat-polymerized and visible light-polymerized acrylic denture base resins. Saudi Dent J, 26(2), 56-62, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sdentj.2013.12.007
- Bae JY, Kim SC, Lee HH. Evaluation of surface roughness of dental porcelains by two polishing systems. J Kor Res Soc Dent Mater, 36(4), 283-292, 2009.
- Berger JC, Driscoll CF, Romberg E, Luo Q, Thompson G. Surface roughness of denture base acrylic resins after processing and after polishing. J Prosthodont, 15(3), 180-186, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.2006.00098.x
- Bollen CM, Lambrechts P, Quirynen M. Comparison of surface roughness of oral hard materials to the threshold surface roughness for bacterial plaque retention: a review of the literature. Dent Mater, 13(4), 258-269, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(97)80038-3
- Da Costa J, Ferracane J, Paravina RD, Mazur RF, RoederL. The effect of different polishing systems on surface roughness and gloss of various resin composites. J Esthet Restor Dent, 19(4), 214-224, discussion, 225-216, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.2007.00104.x
- Gungor H, Gundogdu M, YesilDuymus Z. Investigation of the effect of different polishing techniques on the surface roughness of denture base and repair materials. J Prosthet Dent, 112(5), 1271-1277, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2014.03.023
- Hannah CM, Smith GA. The surface finish of composite restorative materials. Br Dent J, 135(11), 483-488, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4803105
- Hwang SS, Im YW, Kim SC, Jun SK, Lee HH. Influence of polishing methods on surface roughness and gloss of acrylic denture base resins. J Kor Res Soc Dent Mater, 41(4), 305-310, 2014.
- Kakaboura A, Fragouli M, Rahiotis C, Silikas N. Evaluation of surface characteristics of dental composites using profilometry, scanning electron, atomic force microscopy and gloss-meter. J Mater Sci Mater Med, 18(1), 155-163, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10856-006-0675-8
- Keyf F, Etikan I. Evaluation of gloss changes of two denture acrylic resin materials in four different beverages. Dent Mater, 20(3), 244-251, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(03)00099-X
- Kuhar M, Funduk N. Effects of polishing techniques on the surface roughness of acrylic denture base resins. J Prosthet Dent, 93(1), 76-85, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.10.002
- Lee CJ, Bok SB, Bae JY, Lee HH. Comparative adaptation accuracy of acrylic denture bases evaluated by two different methods. Dent Mater J, 29(4), 411-417, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.2009-105
- McLundie AC, Murray FD. Comparison of methods used in finishing composite resin-A scanning electron microscope study. J Prosthet Dent, 31(2), 163-171, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(74)90051-1
- Nadal ME, Early EA, Thompson EA. Spercular gloss. NIST Special Publication, SP 250-70, 2006.
- O'Brien WJ, Johnston WM, Fanian F, Lambert S. The surface roughness and gloss of composites. J Dent Res, 63(5), 685-688, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345840630051601
- Ohara N, Koizumi H, Matsumoto Y, Nakayama D, Ogino T, Matsumura H. Surface roughness and gloss of indirect composites etched with acidulated phosphate fluoride solution. Acta Odontol Scand, 67(5), 313-320, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350903070911
- Quirynen M, Bollen CM, Papaioannou W, Eldere J, Steenberghe D. The influence of titanium abutment surface roughness on plaque accumulation and gingivitis: short-term observations. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 11(2), 169-178, 1996.
- Radford DR, Challacombe SJ, Walter JD. Adherence of phenotypically switched Candida albicans to denture base materials. Int J Prosthodont, 11(1), 75-81, 1998.
- Rahal JS, Mesquita MF, Henriques GE, Nobilo MA. Surface roughness of acrylic resins submitted to mechanical and chemical polishing. J Oral Rehabil, 31(11), 1075-1079, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2004.01344.x
- Vallittu PK. A review of methods used to reinforce polymethyl methacrylate resin. J Prosthodont, 4(3), 183-187, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.1995.tb00338.x
- Weitman RT, Eames WB. Plaque accumulation on composite surfaces after various finising procedures. J Am Dent Assoc, 91(1), 101-106, 1975. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1975.0294
- Yamauchi M, Yamamoto K, Wakabayashi M, Kawano J. In vitro adherenceof microorganisms to denturebase resin with different surface texture. Dent Mater J, 9(1), 19-24, 1990. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.9.19