- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of chemical surface treatment on the flexural bond strength of heat curing denture base resin and reliners
화학적 표면처리가 열중합형 의치상 레진과 이장재간의 굴곡결합강도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.10.29
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2015.12.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of the chemical surface treatment on the flexural bond strength of heat curing denture base resin and reliners. Methods: Denture base resin surface was treated with MMA 95% and TEGDMA 5%, MMA 95% and silane coupling agent 5%, heat curing resin monomer. After denture reliners were injected, flexural bond strength was measured. Results: The repair resin of Vertex SC was higher than Lang, hard reliner of Kooliner was higher than Rebase. Soft reliner of Dura base and Coe-soft showed differently according to the surface treatment. The all chemical treatment groups on Vertex SC were significantly higher than control(p<0.05). In Lang group, 5% MPS treated group showed significantly higher flexural bond strength than others(p<0.05). In Kooliner group, all chemical treatment groups showed significantly higher than control(p<0.05). In Rebase group, the 5% MPS and the monomer denture base resin treated groups showed significantly higher than others(p<0.05). In Dura base group, 5% MPS treated group showed significantly higher flexural bond strength than others(p<0.05). In Coe-soft group, all treated groups were significantly higher than control group(p<0.05). Conclusion: TEGDMA, MPS, and the monomer of heat-cured denture base resin were effective to improve the bond strengths between denture base and denture relining materials. Especially, 5% MPS expected to strengthen effectively the bonding property of denture base and denture reliners within the results of this study.
flexural bond strength;TEGDMA;MPS;reliner;denture base resin
- Amin WM, Fletcher AM, Ritchie GM. The nature of the interface between polymethyl methacrylatedenture base materials and soft lining materials. J Dent, 9(4), 336, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(81)90007-5
- Arena CA, Evans DB, Hilton TJ. A comparison of bond strengths among chairside hard reline materials. J Prosthet Dent, 70(2), 126-131, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(93)90006-A
- Arima T, Murata H, Hamada T. Properties of highly cross-linked auto-polymerizing reline acrylic resins. J Prosthet Dent, 73(1), 55-59, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(05)80273-2
- Arima T, Nikawa H, Hamada T, Harsini. Composition and effect of denture base resin surface primers for reline acrylic resins. J Prosthet Dent, 75(4), 457-462, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(96)90044-X
- Berge M. Bending strength of intact and repaired denture base resins. Acta Odontol Scand, 41(3), 187-191, 1983. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358309162322
- Beyli MS, von Fraunhofer JA. Repair of fractured acrylic resin. J Prosthet Dent, 44(5), 497-503, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(80)90067-0
- Brown SK. Mechanics of fracture in filled thermosetting resins. Br Polymer J, 12(1), 24-30, 1980.
- Bunch J, Johnson GH, Brudvik JS. Evaluation of hard direct reline resins. J Prosthet Dent, 57(4), 512-519, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(87)90027-8
- Calais JG, Soderholm KJM. Influence of filler type and water, exposure on flexural strength of experimental composite resin. J Dent Res, 67(5), 836-40, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345880670050801
- Canan B. Flexural properties of repaired heatpolymerising acrylic resin after wetting with monomer and acetone. Gerodontol, 27(3), 217-223, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2009.00321.x
- Daniel MW, Francis LF. Silane adsorption behavior, microstructure, and properties of glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane-modified colloidal silica coatings. J Colloid Interface Sci, 205(1), 191-200, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.1998.5671
- Haywood J, Basker RM, Watson CJ, Wood DJ. A comparison of three hard chairside denture reline materials. Part I. Clinical evaluation. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent, 11(4), 157-163, 2003.
- Hong G, Li Y, Maeda T. Influence of storage methods on the surface roughness of tissue conditioners. Dent Mater J, 27(2), 153-158, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.27.153
- Jeong CM. Effect of resin surface primers used for bonding chair-side relining resin to thermoplastic denture base resin. J Korean society Dent Mater, 28(4), 359-366, 2001.
- Kato H, Matsumura H, Ide T, Atsuta M. Improved bonding of adhesive resin to sintered porcelain with the combination of acid etching and a two-liquid silane conditioner. J Oral Rehabil, 28(1), 102-108, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2001.00627.x
- Khan Z, Fraunhofer JA, Razavi R. The staining characteristics transverse strength and microhardness of a visible light cured denture. J Prosthet Dent, 57(3), 384-6. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(87)90319-2
- Lehman ML, White GE. A comparison of stresses induced in denture repairs. Dent Tech, 20(9), 79-81, 1967.
- Leles CR, Machado AL, Vergani CE, Giampaolo ET, Pavarina AC. Bonding strength between a hard chairside reline resin and a denture base material as influenced by surface treatment. J Oral Rehabil, 28(12), 1153-1157, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2001.00786.x
- Maria M. Karabela, Irini D. Sideridou. Effect of the structure of silane coupling agent on sorption characteristics of solvents by dental resinnano composites. Dent Mater J, 24(12), 1631-1639, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2008.02.021
- Matsumura H, Tanoue N, Kawasaki K, Atsuta M. Clinical evaluation of a chemically cured hard denture relining material. J Oral Rehabil, 28(7), 640-644, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2001.00701.x
- Mohsen NM, Craig RG. Effect of silanation of fillers on their dispersability by monomer systems. J Oral Rehabil, 22(3), 183-189, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1995.tb01562.x
- Murata H, Taguchi N, Hamada T, McCabe JF. Dynamic viscoelastic properties and the age changes of long-term soft denture liners. Biomaterials, 21(14), 1421-1427, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9612(00)00010-7
- Ogle RE, Sorensen SE, Lewis EA. A new visible light cured resin system applied to removable prosthodontics. J Prosthet Dent, 56(4), 497-506, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(86)90397-5
- Ohkubo T, Oizumi M, Kobayashi T. Influence of methylmercaptan on the bonding strength of autopolymerizing reline resins to a heatpolymerized denture base resin. Dent Mater J, 28(4), 426-432, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.28.426
- Sadakane M, Tada T, Ide S, Nakayama M, Nishiya N, Utsumi S, Torii Y, Inoue K. Effect of additional heat cure on mechanical properties of light-cured composite resins; Part 1 Effect of silane treatment of filler. J Conserv Dent, 35(1), 677-684, 1992.
- Sadamori S, Siswomihardjo W, Kameda K, Saito A, Hamada T. Dimensional changes of relined denture bases with heat-cured, microwaveactivated, autopolymerizing, and visible light-cured resins. Aust Dent J, 40(5), 322-326, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.1995.tb04821.x
- Schmit WF, Smith DE. A six-year retrospective study of Mollplast B-line denture. Part II: Liner serviceability. J Prosthet Dent, 50(4), 459-465, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(83)90563-2
- Shimizu H, Ikuyama T, Hayakawa E, Tsue F, Takahashi Y. Effects of surface preparation using ethyl acetate on the repair strength of denture base resin. Acta Odontol Scand, 64(3), 159-163, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350500514808
- Solnit GS. The effect of methacrylate reinforcement with silane treated and untreated glass fibers. J Prosthet Dent, 66(3), 310-314, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(91)90255-U
- Stanford JW, Burns CL, Paffenbarger GC. Selfcuring resins for repairing dentures; Some physical properties. JADA, 51(3), 307-315, 1955.
- Takahashi Y, Chai J. Assessment of shear bond strength between three denture reline materials and a denture base acrylic resin. Int J Prosthodont, 14(6), 531-535, 2001.
- Tallgren A. The continuing reduction of the residual alveolar ridges in complete denture wearers: a mixed-longitudinal study covering 25 years. J Prosthet Dent, 89(5), 427-435, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(03)00158-6
- Vallittu PK. Comparison of two different silane compound used for improving adhesion between fibers and acrylic denture base material. J Oral Rehabil, 20(5), 533-539, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1993.tb01640.x
- Vallittu PK, Lassila VP, Lappalainen R. Wetting the repair surface with methyl methacrylate affects the transverse strength of repaired heat-polymerized resin. J Prosthet Dent, 72(6), 639-643, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(94)90297-6
- Yu SH, Kim YS, Choi UJ, Jun JN. Effect of reinforcement of glass fiber on auto and heat polymerized denture base resin, J Kor Dent Tech, 31(4), 40-44, 2009.