- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effects of Professionalism on the Relationship between Major Selection Conviction and Career Decision Level of Dental Technology Students
치기공과 학생의 전공선택확신과 진로결정수준의 관계에서 전문직업성의 매개효과
Jung, Hyo-kyung;Kwak, Dong Ju;Choi, Ju Young
- Received : 2015.10.29
- Accepted : 2015.12.22
- Published : 2015.12.30
Purpose: The following study analyzes the mediating effects of professionalism on the relationship between major selection conviction and career decision level of dental technology students. It is to be used as basic data for improvement of the students' career decision level and an effective way to train professionals of the colleges. Methods: The survey was conducted on dental technology students. The collected data was analyzed by the statistical program SPSS 18.0. The results were analyzed by reliability, frequency, multiple-way ANOVA, correlation, multiple regression. To test for significance on each item, p<0.05 has been decided as a standard. Results: The analysis shows that the students' age and clinical practice experience bring a significant difference in major selection conviction, career decision level and professionalism. Professionalism has been found to bring significance mediating effects in relation to major selection conviction and career decision level. Conclusion: To improve the quality and pride as a professional as well as satisfaction with major selection can be expected to raise the standard of the students' career decision level.
dental technology;major selection conviction;career decision level;professionalism
- Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Choi YJ. The Effects of sense of values.major satisfaction.career maturity of undergraduate students majoring in cosmetology on career decision-making styles. Dept. of Beauty Arts The Graduate School of Seokyoung University, 2015.
- Christie BA, Joyce PC, Moeller PL. Fieldwork experience, Part II: The supervisor's dilemma. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 9(10), 675-681, 1985.
- Harren VH. Assessment of career decision makimg. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services, 1984.
- Hur YR. An Analysis of the core elements and curriculum evaluation of medical professionalism. Department of Education The Graduate School Yonsei University, 2006.
- Jeong HY. The effects of parental career expectation and to consider whether the impact of the aptitude of the student career decision autonomy and self-esteem: focusing on students' perceptions. Department of Counseling Psychology Education The Graduate School Korea University, 2009.
- Kang MS. The influence of undergraduate students' self-directedness and major satisfaction upon career exploration behavior and mediating effect of employability. Department of Child and Adolescent Welfare The Graduate School of Hanseo University, 2015.
- Koh HJ. A Study on the effect of career counseling on korean college students' decision making styles and on career decision making status. Department of Education Graduate school Sookmyung Women's University, 1993.
- Lee HS, Bae BJ, Chang KW. Research on the major selection and the career decision of college students. J Kor Acad Dent Tech, 33(4), 427-440, 2011.
- Lee YS. (An) analysis of the core elements of nursing professionalism based on delphi technique. Department of Nursing The Graduate School Korea University, 2012.
- Maslow AH. A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review, 1943.
- Minstry of Education. College development plan. 2013.
- Moon IO, Lee GW. The effect of satisfaction in major and career search efficacy on career search behavior in nursing students, Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(1), 83-91, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.083
- Moon SJ, Ku IY, Choi HY, Ka KH. Study of onand off-campus clinical practice satisfaction and major satisfaction among dental hygiene students in some regions. Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial Cooperation Society, 15(1), 6793-6803, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.11.6793
- Osipow SH, Carney CG, Winer J, Yanico B, Koschier M. The career decision scale(3rd rev). Columbus, OH, Marsthon Consulting and Press, 1980.
- Shim HK, Kang MH. The effects of attachment to parents on career decision-making selfefficacy, career aspiration and career decision-making level among college students. Journal of psychotherapy, 7(1), 1-17, 2007.
- Tolbert EL. Counseling for career development(2nd ed). Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1980.